Dublin riots: Violent clashes with gardaí and vehicles set alight after children injured in knife attack

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

• There have been violent clashes between large groups of people and gardaí in Dublin this evening, with vehicles set on fire and shops looted.
  • All Luas and some bus services have been suspended. There are reports of protesters firing flares and fireworks at gardaí and at least one Garda vehicle was set on fire on Parnell Street, while a bus and a car were set on fire at the O’Connell Bridge end of O’Connell Street.
  • The significant public disorder erupted following a stabbing earlier in which left five people hospitalised, including the perpetrator, on Thursday.
  • Garda Commissioner Drew Harris blamed the unrest on a “lunatic, hooligan faction driven by far-right ideology” while Minister for Justice Helen McEntee appealed for calm and said a “thuggish and manipulative element” was using the earlier incident to “wreak havoc”. She condemned the attacks on gardaí.
  • A five-year-old girl is receiving emergency treatment at Temple Street hospital after the stabbing incident.
  • A boy, also aged five, and a girl (6) sustained less serious injuries and were brought to CHI Crumlin for treatment. The boy has since been discharged.
  • A woman in her 30s was being treated for serious injuries at the Mater hospital. The Irish Times understands she was an employee of the school or afterschool care facility the children were attending.
  • Gardaí are trying to determine whether there is any relationship between the chief suspect and anyone outside the school or at the scene. The chief suspect is understood to be a naturalized Irish citizen, who has lived here for 20 years

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
If the crime of stabbing was not bad enough then you have people acting like animals burning down all the stuff.

Hope they get hit with some hefty prison time and fines.

Hate crime is on the rise, the UK for example has had a large dose of it from both sides the last 6 weeks or so, its shameful.

novotique

Icon Extra
15 Nov 2023
Being Irish, this is very unsettling for me. Xenophobia is on the rise and typically fuelled by social media AI algorithms using falsehoods. But we don't rally for the right reasons like having a decent health care or for retirement. The government and Irish politicians are corrupt and people just say: "sure, as long as you are healthy you have nothing to complain about" o_O

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Being Irish, this is very unsettling for me. Xenophobia is on the rise and typically fuelled by social media AI algorithms using falsehoods. But we don't rally for the right reasons like having a decent health care or for retirement. The government and Irish politicians are corrupt and people just say: "sure, as long as you are healthy you have nothing to complain about" o_O
Living in Ireland as a foreigner that pays taxes up his ass, these riots made me heavily reconsider my future in this country.

novotique

Icon Extra
15 Nov 2023
Living in Ireland as a foreigner that pays taxes up his ass, these riots made me heavily reconsider my future in this country.
I really get you. I will never move back to Ireland. Having lived now in France, Netherlands and Germany, I can tell you Ireland is not all it’s cracked up to be.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru