I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
XFU0aPBvtm3W2od1ZvhByAOv.png
04S9doVJzhHa0OE8o8wax88S.png

Which one do you prefer and why?

Which is going to sell more?

Which is better in your opinion for esports?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Don't play fighting games much nowadays, but always preferred sf over tekken. Was never a fan of the juggle mechanic of tekken.

Too early to tell i guess which one will be better for esports, but from past i'm gonna give it to SF, just enjoyed watching how the pros link their combos in SF especially SF4. SF5 was a bit of a downgrade in terms of exciting combos but still enjoyed it.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I Love all fighting games. Mk, sf, tekken,and everything else

I love SF and Tekken a lot and recently got into Guilty Gear....but I have a passing interest in MK too. They all have their own distinct feeling and are a lot of fun...

Reactions: SLB1904

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Isn't MK rumored to come out this year, too? That will easily outsell Tekken, at least.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Street Fighter has always been more attractive to the casuals. Tekken is a bit too technical for people who aren't dedicated to FG. I think SF6 looks to be more tuned towards spectators, too. You have really flashy and colorful specials and long move animations that make it easier for people to tell what's going on at a glance without really having to understand the deeper combat.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I always have been a SF fan, since the first one. SF6 seems to improve many things over SFV, and even if it doesn't have the animeish cel shaded style (like Guilty Gear Strive with with the style of the SF animated movie, SFIII or SFA) I'd have prefered and doesn't like the sountrack style, I think SF6 is going to be my most played game of the genration, as SFV was in the previous one.

I think Tekken is also cool, but not for me.

Street Fighter has always been more attractive to the casuals. Tekken is a bit too technical for people who aren't dedicated to FG. I think SF6 looks to be more tuned towards spectators, too. You have really flashy and colorful specials and long move animations that make it easier for people to tell what's going on at a glance without really having to understand the deeper combat.
It's the opposite. SF always had a bigger competitive scene but smaller sales than Tekken (starting to count sales when Tekken was released, because SF2 made a ton of money in the arcades). Meaning that the big horde of casuals who enjoy to win smashing random buttons are more in Tekken while the proplayers are more in SF.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Tekken did look good but it looks like it got a serious downgrade in graphics.
SF but the character models look so… meh
Ill buy both

• thisistheway
Reactions: PropellerEar

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I always have been a SF fan, since the first one. SF6 seems to improve many things over SFV, and even if it doesn't have the animeish cel shaded style (like Guilty Gear Strive with with the style of the SF animated movie, SFIII or SFA) I'd have prefered

Same.
Wish it came with the filter SF5 got at the end for more animish skins.
I just really think the body proportions look ridiculous, every SF it gets more.

I will still buy day 1 because I love the series.
Tekken too

I wish we got an Alpha 4 and SNK vs Capcom 3

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wish it came with the filter SF5 got at the end for more animish skins.
I will still buy day 1 because I love the series.
I wish we got an Alpha 4 and SNK vs Capcom 3
Same here.

I just really think the body proportions look ridiculous, every SF it gets more.
Well, in reality they always have been the same in the mainline Street Fighter games. The thing is that with a more realistic artsyle it's more visible that they are overmusculated, because in anime you're used to see people with these crazy proportions and instead in the real world you are more used to see people with more normal/realistic proportions.

But the crazy proportions are good for fighting games because they generate more readable silhouettes helping to identify faster what is happening in the game, something key for fighting games.

24 Jun 2022
There was a time where Tekken would decimate Street Fighter in sales and relevance, but we're talking decades ago. I'd say Tekken's mainstream popularity peaked with Tekken 3 and ironically that's when Street Fighter was about to enter its least relevant period.

But from what I've seen of SF6 and Tekken 8 so far, SF6 has me more hyped. I think it's visually more holistic than Tekken 8, as to say, its visual elements are more readable and cleaner. It may be less visually busy than Tekken 8 but that works in SF6's favor. Personally I REALLY liked the fidelity of the original Tekken 8 reveal trailer; it was visually busy for sure, but in a very clean way as the most prominent colors were on Kazuya & Jin themselves, and there weren't a lot of uniquely distinct things happening in the background to draw away your focus. And again, the fidelity was really impressive.

However, with more footage shown the less the game's impressed me visually. I miss the color grading and atmospheric weather of the background the original reveal trailer had, and I think some of the backgrounds now are a bit too busy with too many colors and things happening. That said, the gameplay looks fun and some of the game mechanics sound interesting but I'd need more time to understand exactly what's going on. SF6's gameplay still has me a bit worried it's almost too slow, although I've seen some pros playing and they make the game look like it plays faster. I would never want SF to go back to SF4 style speed, although that is mainly due to SF4 relying too much on 1-frame links which both artificially made the game seem faster and also added a heavy barrier for skill for little reason (that and plinking).

SFV I think actually had a great balance in terms of play speed, but the 3-frame buffer built into its design was a long-term problem they never fixed. Since I'm most used to 3rd Strike's speed, I'd prefer if SF6 had speed at that level, but I don't think that is the case on the whole. Maybe with specific characters, so those may be characters I end up gravitating to.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well, in reality they always have been the same in the mainline Street Fighter games. The thing is that with a more realistic artsyle it's more visible that they are overmusculated, because in anime you're used to see people with these crazy proportions and instead in the real world you are more used to see people with more normal/realistic proportions.

But the crazy proportions are good for fighting games because they generate more readable silhouettes helping to identify faster what is happening in the game, something key for fighting games.

They were but look at Guile in SF2 and look at him now. He is way more jacked now. Same with Ryu. They had kinda big feet and hands etc but not looked totally roided muscle up Like they do now.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Street Fighter will sell more due to its popularity but they both look to be quality titles. I am getting both!

Reactions: Yurinka

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Street Fighter 6 will probably sell more.
I prefer Tekken. I stopped taking Street Fighter seriously after Street Fighter 3.
I personally think Tekken is the better esports game.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
During the height of my fighter days I would’ve bought like every single game from Soulcalibur to DBZ.

Now? I just need one. And it’s SF6. Long time fan and one of my all time favorite games series ever. Don’t even have to think about it.

Tekken is kinda totally off the radar to the point where I’ll probably never play Tekken ever again and be ok with it.

The funny thing is. I think SF6 looks kinda shit. I hate the art direction. Then again, this is my initial impression with all SF games since 4… I’m like ewww this is hideous… to then love the game for 2,000 hours plus. It is what it is…

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They were but look at Guile in SF2 and look at him now. He is way more jacked now. Same with Ryu. They had kinda big feet and hands etc but not looked totally roided muscle up Like they do now.
In SF6 the hands, feet and heads are a little smaller than in the previous ones (including SFIV and SFV), and muscles now flex. But other than that, they are pretty similar. This, combined with the fact that you're used to see folks that beefy in anime style but not in realistic style is why they seem beefier. Here you have SF6 vs sprites.

Some chars got beefed up in the SFA series (these ones not much) and remained like that until now. Big hands and feet are better for readability during quick movements.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo