EA Adds its Loot Box System Into The Latest Skate BETA

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
skate-loot-box.jpg

Playtesters, who have been playing the latest playtest of Skate have shared information with Insider Gaming on the controversial loot box system that leaked via datamines in the summer of 2022. Originally called “Swag Bags”, the loot box feature was met with harsh criticism from fans – but as far as we can tell, they might not be as bad as first feared.

First, it should be said and understood that Skate will be a free-to-play title and as such, ways for the publisher to make revenue back from development will be implemented. Now that’s out of the way, here’s what State’s current loot box system looks like:

Loot Boxes are currently priced between 2 and 3 Stars, with 3 Star Loot Boxes having the more desired items in them. Items range from skateboard stickers and clothing to house furniture.

Each Loot Box contains five individual items – all of which you can see before purchasing. However, you’ll only receive one of these five items when unlocking a Loot Box. There’s currently no percentage given on the odds of which item you could receive and you can unlock duplicated items. Duplicated Items will reward the player with “Hype” instead, which is another form of currency similar to Apex Legends’ crafting metals. But at this moment in time, there’s no loot box with the 1000 items available like you’d see in the likes of Apex Legends.

There are currently 16 Loot Boxes in Skate with five items in each box (80 items total). Presumably, though, more boxes and variations will be added during special events etc.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m still not even sure lootboxes were worse than direct to purchase stuff that’s 15$ a pop. I can’t say I’ve ever played anything with egregious loot box stuff tho. Although Warframe’s blueprint system was absolutely maddening when I tried it.

D

Deleted member 417

Inexcusable to have lootboxes, MTX or paid cosmetics in a game.

There was a time when you could unlock stuff for free by playing the game. Like a rocket launcher in resident evil, an invisible suit in MGS or new characters in every fighting game.

Something something gaming is more expensive, something something. Said by shills of companies who are earning more per year than they used to in ten years.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Inexcusable to have lootboxes, MTX or paid cosmetics in a game.

There was a time when you could unlock stuff for free by playing the game. Like a rocket launcher in resident evil, an invisible suit in MGS or new characters in every fighting game.

Something something gaming is more expensive, something something. Said by shills of companies who are earning more per year than they used to in ten years.

There was never anywhere near the amount of unlockable content that people pretend there was. Alternate shader colors in Street Fighter vs actual outfits.

D

Deleted member 417

There was never anywhere near the amount of unlockable content that people pretend there was. Alternate shader colors in Street Fighter vs actual outfits.
Rocket launchers, infinite ammo, swords, new levels, new playable characters. There was a lot of unlockable content and it was all free.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Rocket launchers, infinite ammo, swords, new levels, new playable characters. There was a lot of unlockable content and it was all free.

Your argument is getting weaker.

Plenty of games have unlockable content. You had no post release support. The game ended with its shipped released. There was no way to patch even.

New playable characters were free? When? With each full priced version of Street Fighter 2-4 and its super turbo versions that they released every 8 months?

We get more content today than we ever had before in the history of the gaming medium and for less of a cost. The romanticized nostalgia is some rose tinted goggles nonsense. I was there… it wasn’t much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Your argument is getting weaker.

Plenty of games have unlockable content. You had no post release support. The game ended with its shipped released. There was no way to patch even.

New playable characters were free? When? With each full priced version of Street Fighter 2-4 and its super turbo versions that they released every 8 months?

We get more content today than we ever had before in the history of the gaming medium and for less of a cost. The romanticized nostalgia is some rose tinted goggles nonsense. I was there… it wasn’t much.
Argument? As in, you're on the side of billion dollar companies, making more money than ever, cutting content to sell back to players?

Streets of rage had unlockable characters, Spawn:in the demons hands, rush 2049, GT had unlockable extras, car mods, tracks all unlockable without grinding for 200+ hours. Again, resident evil had unlockable extras and MGS. Kingdom Under Fire had unlockable characters and campaigns. And they were all free. Created when the industry didn't have 1/4 of the audience or profit and it didn't matter.

The content we get is more than ever? Based on what? That there are 10,000 shite free to play games bloating up the steam store? I was there as well, the rose tinted glasses argument is nonsense. Only controller input and graphics have improved, the rest is worse. I would take quality over quantity any day of the week. On top of that, I can afford expensive games, the price doesn't matter