EA leads publishers for engagement on Xbox and PlayStation - GamesIndustry.biz

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
More proof that Sony needs to acquire EA if the Activision acquisition is allowed to go through. Add Epic as well for the 1-2 punch.
Ampere-Analysis-publisher-console-MAU-share.jpg

Mobile is not taken into account which would put Acti on top thanks to King.
Also shows that MS + Acti would put them over EA which is not surprising.

Reactions: laynelane and EDMIX

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Also shows that MS + Acti would put them over EA which is not surprising.
It almost certainly wouldn't due to Minecraft (which, realistically, is probably driving their engagement) overlapping with various Activision properties.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
What sort of fucked up metric is this where MS beats Sony?
The reason is the type of games. One thing sony has missing in it's catalogue is games that have much longer engangment.

Minecraft probably helps MS here alot.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony will never buy a mess like EA or Ubisoft. I am telling you if Sony buys a pub then they will look how big the synergies are for other divisions within the Sony conglomerate. For example Square Enix, Capcom which have a lot of assets for Manga, Anime, movies production and distribution.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony will never buy a mess like EA or Ubisoft. I am telling you if Sony buys a pub then they will look how big the synergies are for other divisions within the Sony conglomerate. For example Square Enix, Capcom which have a lot of assets for Manga, Anime, movies production and distribution.
It's all about IPs. Studios can be restructured and management changed for the better. It's all about securing those IPs.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It's all about IPs. Studios can be restructured and management changed for the better. It's all about securing those IPs.
Still not EA. Which memorable IPs does EA have besides Dragon Age, Mass Effect or Dead Space series?
When people think about PlayStation, first comes in mind are IPs like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy. Sony has already enough solid western bangers. It’s time for them to focus where they still have holes in their portfolio.

Reactions: Sircaw

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Ea s not worth it. Their biggest games must stay multi cause of licence , fifa, madden etc. U must be nuts to psy 40,50B for ea.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Still not EA. Which memorable IPs does EA have besides Dragon Age, Mass Effect or Dead Space series?
When people think about PlayStation, first comes in mind are IPs like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy. Sony has already enough solid western bangers. It’s time for them to focus where they still have holes in their portfolio.
I can guarantee you there's at least six EA IPs more memorable than has been/never was shit like Devil May Cry. Lets see how many I can list...

The Sims
Sim City
FIFA/EA FC
Madden
Battlefield
Mass Effect
Apex Legends
Need For Speed
Ultima (RIP)

And then there's debatable stuff like Burnout, TOR, EA's NBA, NFL and UFC games, Titanfall, Dead Space, Dragon Age, etc.

Not that it even matters. EA is worth 33 billion dollars (market cap) while Sony's cap is 110 billion, aka they would have to risk the entire company's future endebting themselves in order to buy it. And for what? To compete with Call of Duty, a franchise which is going to be legally bound to multi-platform status for at least ten years? Is that what people actually think is going to happen?

OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ea s not worth it. Their biggest games must stay multi cause of licence , fifa, madden etc. U must be nuts to psy 40,50B for ea.
You're not privy to the licensing deal to say that they have to stay multiplatform, and even if that were true, Sony paid 7 billion to keep Destiny multi. Also EA is definitely worth it because of their growing mobile business and Apex, which would give them two huge shooters with Destiny and give them some inroads again in Japan.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They don't have fifa any more.

EA has some great IPs.
If sony invest good in Battlefield, it can be as big as CoD for half the price + ton of other great IPs. Respawn is one of the best studio in gaming.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They don't have fifa any more.

EA has some great IPs.
If sony invest good in Battlefield, it can be as big as CoD for half the price + ton of other great IPs. Respawn is one of the best studio in gaming.
They don't have the FIFA license but they have literally everything else, the engine, the game, the league and player licenses. I know that we like to pretend that sports game buyers are knuckle dragging retards but they really aren't, they know the difference between EA FC, eFootball and whatever fly by night operation FIFA will sell it's name to.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I can guarantee you there's at least six EA IPs more memorable than has been/never was shit like Devil May Cry. Lets see how many I can list...

The Sims
Sim City
FIFA/EA FC
Madden
Battlefield
Mass Effect
Apex Legends
Need For Speed
Ultima (RIP)

And then there's debatable stuff like Burnout, TOR, EA's NBA, NFL and UFC games, Titanfall, Dead Space, Dragon Age, etc.

Not that it even matters. EA is worth 33 billion dollars (market cap) while Sony's cap is 110 billion, aka they would have to risk the entire company's future endebting themselves in order to buy it. And for what? To compete with Call of Duty, a franchise which is going to be legally bound to multi-platform status for at least ten years? Is that what people actually think is going to happen?
For calling an iconic IP like Devil May Cry shit, you should get banned lol.
Battlefield is dead like Medal of Honor is. The sports games are bot theirs, and only on a licensing term. Need for Speed is mediocre af, Unbound is the only one which is better than it’s previous instalments.
So you’re the kinda type who is celebrating mainstream and boring GaaS games?
Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil are the games which shaped PlayStation and made them popular back then. Not a single soul I know plays Sims on consoles. This is some nerdy PC stuff.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
For calling an iconic IP like Devil May Cry shit, you should get banned lol.
Battlefield is dead like Medal of Honor is. The sports games are bot theirs, and only on a licensing term. Need for Speed is mediocre af, Unbound is the only one which is better than it’s previous instalments.
So you’re the kinda type who is celebrating mainstream and boring GaaS games?
Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil are the games which shaped PlayStation and made them popular back then. Not a single soul I know plays Sims on consoles. This is some nerdy PC stuff.
I Dislike This, Thus It Doesn't Matter: The Post

16 Feb 2023
MS seems high but I guess Minecraft, ESO, and Fallout 76 as multiplat GAAS along with Sea of Thieves on xbox gives a decent baseline? No idea on the Jan bump though.