EA will team up with Sony & Playstation for EA SPORTS FC . It won’t be EXCLUSIVE but there will be some benefits for PS players

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Not a sports game player, but the genre seems popular enough given the sales, so smart from Sony and EA.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I told that EA is friendly with Sony now. Before the activision deal I am sure EA would give this deal to Xbox.

24 Jun 2022
I guess FC is the new FIFA thing from EA without the license?

TBH, it'd probably be a smart move if Sony made another internal sports team for football/soccer games, got the FIFA license, and let EA publish the game on non-PlayStation & PC platforms (basically Xbox, Nintendo, and maybe mobile). I'm guessing EA lost the license because they didn't want to pay the cost, but I think Sony would definitely pay for the license considering how popular soccer is globally.

Plus, this way they get to retain a smart & strategic relationship with EA, maybe give EA a small cut of PlayStation sales from a Sony-made FIFA game if EA kick a bit into paying for the license (but Sony still paying for the majority of the license cost). Just interesting to think about the possibility.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

TBH, it'd probably be a smart move if Sony made another internal sports team for football/soccer games, got the FIFA license, and let EA publish the game on non-PlayStation & PC platforms (basically Xbox, Nintendo, and maybe mobile). I'm guessing EA lost the license because they didn't want to pay the cost, but I think Sony would definitely pay for the license considering how popular soccer is globally.

Plus, this way they get to retain a smart & strategic relationship with EA, maybe give EA a small cut of PlayStation sales from a Sony-made FIFA game if EA kick a bit into paying for the license (but Sony still paying for the majority of the license cost). Just interesting to think about the possibility.
FIFA doesn't actually control player and team licenses, thats generally done through leagues, like with the US sports (who also have player associations controlling player names and likenesses.) Paying FIFA anything would be sort of a joke, which is why EA stopped doing it. As to baring EA from putting EA Sports FC on Playstation so Sony can have that market to itself.... well then they take away Apex, Battlefield, Madden, Star Wars, etc. and where are you then?

• they're_right_you_know

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
And y'all don't think Sony will heavily invest in Battlefield so it can decently compete agaisnt CoD? Hardly doubt it's not happening.
I think after bethesda, and espeially now after activsion, sony is going to bring it all in house. I think theyd sooner poach talent from EA than work with them in any meaningful way. Thye may market battlefield though.

• haha

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Playstation is a fooball.

rm_playstation_kv_web_940x400_v2_20201008070026.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And y'all don't think Sony will heavily invest in Battlefield so it can decently compete agaisnt CoD? Hardly doubt it's not happening.
I don't think so, because they heavily (literally invested) in Epic recently, and apparently are working on several 1st and 2nd party shooters with top tier devs.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
FIFA asked EA for a crazy shit ton of money only to use the FIFA name/logo, so EA told them to fuck off.

The licenses for the teams, players, stadiums or clothing brands are not related to this and I think that isn't the FIFA directly who licenses them. All of them will continue in EA FC.

I don't remember the amount but the money FIFA asked for to use that name was something really insane and stupid. Something unrealistic.

If I was Sony I'd expand Sony San Diego hiring former top FIFA/EA talent and would make basically the soccer equivalent of MLB The Show, or the Sony version of FIFA. With the licenses (if aren't exclusive to EA or Konami) of many leagues teams, players and stadiums but not the FIFA name. It could sound stupid but I'd do that while at the same time they continue supporting EA FC.

Many years ago FIFA was a crap game but sold better than other games that back then were way better (Sensible Soccer or ISS/PES) because EA had signed a shit tone of licenses and the other companies didn't have the money to get them.

But not sure if possible because EA or Konami may have exclusive rights for leagues, teams, players or stadiums.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If I was Sony I'd expand Sony San Diego hiring former top FIFA/EA
The EA FC team is in Vancouver, you can't seriously expect people to move to another country for this, especially when they are one of the most internally lauded groups in the company.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The EA FC team is in Vancouver, you can't seriously expect people to move to another country for this, especially when they are one of the most internally lauded groups in the company.
In big companies/studios work people from many parts of the world. I bet most people from that studio aren't from Vancouver or even from Canada.

I also bet that most of them would prefer in San Diego, in the beach of California than to continue getting their ass frozen in Vancouver.

They also wouldn't need to hire the entire, only a few individuals who maybe don't even work there anymore: the main designers who made it fun and engaging, with a game flow that keeps you hooked. Basically the few ones behind the 'magic juice'.

Regarding most of the other areas they already have people at San Diego who do a great job, if not better than EA (tech, animation etc). They could also hire a few folks from NBA 2K.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
In big companies/studios work people from many parts of the world. I bet most people from that studio aren't from Vancouver or even from Canada.
Oh man, you have noooooooooo clue how strict Canadian work restriction rules are.

• they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
FIFA asked EA for a crazy shit ton of money only to use the FIFA name/logo, so EA told them to fuck off.

The licenses for the teams, players, stadiums or clothing brands are not related to this and I think that isn't the FIFA directly who licenses them. All of them will continue in EA FC.

I don't remember the amount but the money FIFA asked for to use that name was something really insane and stupid. Something unrealistic.

If I was Sony I'd expand Sony San Diego hiring former top FIFA/EA talent and would make basically the soccer equivalent of MLB The Show, or the Sony version of FIFA. With the licenses (if aren't exclusive to EA or Konami) of many leagues teams, players and stadiums but not the FIFA name. It could sound stupid but I'd do that while at the same time they continue supporting EA FC.

Many years ago FIFA was a crap game but sold better than other games that back then were way better (Sensible Soccer or ISS/PES) because EA had signed a shit tone of licenses and the other companies didn't have the money to get them.

But not sure if possible because EA or Konami may have exclusive rights for leagues, teams, players or stadiums.
FIFA was asking more money for the right to use just the FIFA name and the World Cup and Euro trophy and branding than EA pays the NFL for the rights to the NFL league and team names and logos.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero