EA will team up with Sony & Playstation for EA SPORTS FC . It won’t be EXCLUSIVE but there will be some benefits for PS players

24 Jun 2022
FIFA doesn't actually control player and team licenses, thats generally done through leagues, like with the US sports (who also have player associations controlling player names and likenesses.) Paying FIFA anything would be sort of a joke, which is why EA stopped doing it. As to baring EA from putting EA Sports FC on Playstation so Sony can have that market to itself.... well then they take away Apex, Battlefield, Madden, Star Wars, etc. and where are you then?

I didn't say anything about barring EA from putting FC on PlayStation; just entertained a hypothetical where if Sony got the license to make official FIFA games with an internal studio like SSD, and gave EA the rights to publish that game on non-Sony platforms. That's in addition to EA doing whatever it is they're doing with FC.

The FIFA name carries a lot of sway with soccer fans worldwide in terms of video games; I'm not knowledgeable of the intricacies of how the licensing works, I just assumed FIFA was the soccer equivalent to the MLB or NFL, but I guess not. I'm still curious how much a major soccer game can sell without the FIFA name attached to it though, particularly among the mainstream. I guess we'll find out soon.

If I was Sony I'd expand Sony San Diego hiring former top FIFA/EA talent and would make basically the soccer equivalent of MLB The Show, or the Sony version of FIFA. With the licenses (if aren't exclusive to EA or Konami) of many leagues teams, players and stadiums but not the FIFA name. It could sound stupid but I'd do that while at the same time they continue supporting EA FC.

Yeah, that's essentially what I was suggesting. And, to keep EA in the loop by letting them handle publishing of such a game on non-PlayStation platforms. It was never a suggestion meant as a replacement of EA FC.

But I'm just not so sure how well a soccer game is going to sell among the mainstream without the FIFA name attached to it. I know there have been others in the past like Winning Eleven, but those were a bit before the genre swelled in popularity globally and before that would translate to sales explosions for soccer games. So it could be argued FIFA sold as much as it did because there were no other soccer games for a long time, that's fair.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
But I'm just not so sure how well a soccer game is going to sell among the mainstream without the FIFA name attached to it. I know there have been others in the past like Winning Eleven, but those were a bit before the genre swelled in popularity globally and before that would translate to sales explosions for soccer games. So it could be argued FIFA sold as much as it did because there were no other soccer games for a long time, that's fair.
Winning Eleven/PES still exists, its just renamed to eFootball now. EA/FIFA beat it on league licensing and quality (debatable, to be sure, but there was definitely a period of time where FIFA was reviewing better than PES,) the FIFA liscense, alone, didn't win that battle.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Oh man, you have noooooooooo clue how strict Canadian work restriction rules are.
I did work at Ubisoft and know many people who work or worked in different Canadian studios from different companies, both big and small. And most of this people aren't Canadian. Many years ago their government had some tax policies and other benefits that made Canada very competitive for foreigner companies to open there studios and grow them a lot. This is why there are so many huge studios in Canada from foreigner companies.