Elden Ring 2 seemingly confirmed in new interview

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Get Ready Trailer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Richard Lee Breslin

Published 11:55, 21 August 2023 BST
| Last updated 11:54, 21 August 2023 BST

Elden Ring by FromSoftware is without question one of the best video games in recent times. In fact, it’s one of the best video games of all time, and that should come as little surprise to fans of the developer.

Released in February 2022, Elden Ring hit instant critical success garnering scores as high as 96 on Metacritic. Not to mention claiming Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2022. The open world of the Lands Between enticed players to explore every corner of its map, despite knowing that a constant threat of danger awaits.

Just about everything about Elden Ring is top-tier, not only with its world design but its epic boss battles, enjoyable combat, sublime soundtrack and its deep lore. Elden Ring was later made an even better experience thanks to its inclusion of PvP.

So as you can imagine, when FromSoftware announced the expansion ‘Shadow of the Erdree’ the internet went into a frenzy. That being said, at this time, we do not have a set-in-stone release date for the expansion, but it is expected to be released at some point this year or early next.
What’s more, after reaching 20 million unit sales worldwide a year after its release, it stands to good reason that fans would hope to see a full sequel launch after the highly anticipated expansion. Especially as FromSoftware has not only seemingly teased ‘frequent’ releases in the near future but also further expansions after Shadow of the Erdree.

However, it now seems that Elden Ring 2 may have been confirmed following an interview with the original game's director, Hidetaka Miyazaki. As shared in a Reddit post by user AnchovyKing, Miyazaki said in a newly released ‘Elden Ring Future Press Guide’ that some of the Elden Ring lore has been ‘saved for future games’.

Of course, this is by no means official confirmation that Elden Ring 2 is on the way, though its high critical and commercial success should pretty much guarantee that. Yet, it’s also worth keeping in mind that saving Elden Ring lore for “future games” wouldn't make much sense to be included in its other properties, though some have theorised that FromSoftware titles may be connected in some way

To be optimistic, hopefully, we will see Elden Ring 2 one day and if it were to be announced officially, many would be looking at The Game Awards in December 2023 to be a worthy destination for a reveal of this magnitude. We’ll be keeping our speculative fingers crossed

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Please No. Id rather see them return to Dark Souls, bloodborne, or a new IP. I also thought they wanted to get away from Bandai Namco as a publisher?

Reactions: arvfab

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Please No. Id rather see them return to Dark Souls, bloodborne, or a new IP. I also thought they wanted to get away from Bandai Namco as a publisher?
Unfortunately, they will stick to their best seller. Sadly, Elden Ring is not their best game, but it came after Fromsoftware gained high reputation and hence enjoyed the highest sales.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I enjoyed the Elden Ring formula over the DeS/DaS one, so I’m down for this.

Although, I think we should get a current gen only DaS game next.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They will add a new saddle to the horse and people will ejaculate with how much this has moved the genre forward. This time the game will also only have one or two pieces of lore, with enthusiasts gushing over how the story is the best of all time because it leaves everything to interpretation.

11/10

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
If they make it non-open-world and with less bloated filler content, I might be interested.

Otherwise I would take a sequel to any of their other Soulsborne games over this. Or a new non-open-world Soulsborne IP.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

20 million sales, of course they will make a sequel.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I was hoping the expansion would be huge enough to be a sequel. I don’t expect a full blown sequel for years…

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Id rather they make a new IP or sequel to Bloodborne/ Sekiro first before we see Elden Ring 2

Reactions: arvfab

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yep, although I prefer Demon's Souls, Sekiro and Bloodborne.
did you play Nioh 2 btw, if so where would you put it into that list?

I found night's 2 combat slick and fast but found the game rather frustrating as normal mobs were dangerous as hell, i remember a few times having mobs on like 1% life then they went berserk and killed me in a one-hit, not a game to play when tired lol.

Also found the crafting system and soul-link systems a bit lacklustre, but over all a fantastic game.

Also want to give Elden ring a go sometime.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
did you play Nioh 2 btw, if so where would you put it into that list?

I found night's 2 combat slick and fast but found the game rather frustrating as normal mobs were dangerous as hell, i remember a few times having mobs on like 1% life then they went berserk and killed me in a one-hit, not a game to play when tired lol.

Also found the crafting system and soul-link systems a bit lacklustre, but over all a fantastic game.

Also want to give Elden ring a go sometime.

Of course, platinumed it too, like the others. Behind the three I mentioned and tied to Dark Souls and therefore above ER.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
ER as a concept was moderately well done, but it didn't add as much to the Souls formula as it could have, and in many cases undermined the tightness of the core systems. An ER2 simply needs to scale down the bloat of the world, reduce reuse of bosses/assets, and integrate the key aspects of Souls in a better manner.