Elden Ring dev has "no idea why it's selling so well," but won't let sales change how it makes games

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1701962404671.png

Elden Ring producer Yasuhiro Kitao recently appeared at the PlayStation Partner Awards 2023 in Japan, where he was asked about the RPG's huge success. Kitao reportedly said the massive sales of Elden Ring were a complete surprise to the team at FromSoftware, according to Denifaminicogamer (and translated by Automaton Media).

Elden Ring might be nearly two years old at this point, but FromSoftware apparently still hasn't taken the time to properly analyze the launch. "We still haven’t been able to analyze why so many people play the game, and we have no idea why it’s selling so well," the FromSoftware producer said at the event, adding "our attitude towards development has remained unchanged."

Kitao adds that "making games that we think are fun and have value has been our policy for a long time, and we won’t start aiming for new big hits like Elden Ring. Our stance of creating games we think are fun and worthwhile will not be changing." The FromSoftware producer doubles down there on Elden Ring's success not influencing the developer's thinking going forward.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I'm going to buy this game eventually, they will probably realise a version containing all the dlc once it's all been released and I'll just grab that.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Their games sell so well regardless of difficulty because the world is beautiful but the combat is great and the feeling of reward and exploration is unparralled. Botw imo doesn't even hold a candle to Elden in tht sense.

Reactions: Diah
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
People have been circlejerking over souls type games for years at this point. It's got to be the most overrated genre in gaming at the moment. Why are they surprise like d that people are buying their latest release in droves?
I'll put a souls game over almost any other game out there especially in a sea of circle jerk fetch quest polluted open worlds with no sense of accomplishment or reward whatsoever like getting a trash ass korok seed lol

I don't think they are really surprised just being fake humble.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I'll put a souls game over almost any other game out there especially in a sea of circle jerk fetch quest polluted open worlds with no sense of accomplishment or reward whatsoever like getting a trash ass korok seed lol

i don't like open world game in general. Feel like a game design that is overrated. What are those empty field for? You not gonna use it anyway.

I want a full level that is well structure, employ many gameplay machenics and artistically well-looking.

DS1, Metroid Prime 2, OOT, etcs have really good level design that I think have been lost in time due to sea of new open-world game that just, the same.

ER has many good level design connected by a sea of vast open-field that feel loosely connected.

Reactions: Diah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Hardcore RPGs of the sort have hit mass market. Buildcrafting and combat vs cringe narratives and spiky hair. Well deserved.

Most games can’t touch the greatness of FROM.

Proper non Ubishit open world made it exceptional in that area too. You actually had to explore….

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
i don't like open world game in general. Feel like a game design that is overrated. What are those empty field for? You not gonna use it anyway.

I want a full level that is well structure, employ many gameplay machenics and artistically well-looking.

DS1, Metroid Prime 2, OOT, etcs have really good level design that I think have been lost in time due to sea of new open-world game that just, the same.

ER has many good level design connected by a sea of vast open-field that feel loosely connected.
I felt tht way generally about open worlds as well but games like Ghost of T, Days Gone and a few others changed my mind. With tht said I'd rather my Uncharteds of the world's stay linear and super focused.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You joke but thats probably at least a little part of it, just another arrow in the game's very full quiver.
I thought so before the game launched, but the storytelling shows no appreciable difference from any other FROM game. And the identifiable GRRM fingerprints are just brazenly lifting from Lord of the Rings.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It took a tried and true formula + open world. And also releasing across all platforms but switch. I'm sure the complete version will release on switch 2 and be a success.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It took a tried and true formula + open world. And also releasing across all platforms but switch. I'm sure the complete version will release on switch 2 and be a success.
this is really true. just having a bare minimum cross platform release that includes Steam on day-1. just not making stupid mistakes out of misplaced publisher greed.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

The humility isn't fake. From are artists who make what pleases them, and they don't really expect mass success, just sustainability. Elden Ring is beyond anything they ever imagined, it just happened to be the game they wanted to make and it resonated tremendously.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The humility isn't fake. From are artists who make what pleases them, and they don't really expect mass success, just sustainability. Elden Ring is beyond anything they ever imagined, it just happened to be the game they wanted to make and it resonated tremendously.
Whether it's fake or not I'd. They are good at what they do and I hope they make a million more through the years!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I thought so before the game launched, but the storytelling shows no appreciable difference from any other FROM game. And the identifiable GRRM fingerprints are just brazenly lifting from Lord of the Rings.
People brought it for GRRM, stayed for everything else. Its clear that he contributed little, anyway, we can tell since the game came out on time and, I assume, did not contain any child rape or pants shitting.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This idea that Elden Ring is only popular because of GRRM is straight bullshit. Sure his name being attached help generate hype but I'll tell you why ER is successful:

-Souls games have been growing with popularity since Dark Souls 1 and has a massive name cache and mystique given the amount of "get good" puffery around the game
-It’s the easiest Souls game by far so it's immediately accessible to the majority of people who don't actually need to get good, while still retaining bosses and minibosses that will stomp you if you aren't good
-Lack of good games the previous year

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This idea that Elden Ring is only popular because of GRRM is straight bullshit. Sure his name being attached help generate hype but I'll tell you why ER is successful:

-Souls games have been growing with popularity since Dark Souls 1 and has a massive name cache and mystique given the amount of "get good" puffery around the game
-It’s the easiest Souls game by far so it's immediately accessible to the majority of people who don't actually need to get good, while still retaining bosses and minibosses that will stomp you if you aren't good
-Lack of good games the previous year
Shit would have sold how it did regardless. Once ppl got exposed years ago through Demon Souls localization From been on a constant upward spiral.