Elden Ring dev has "no idea why it's selling so well," but won't let sales change how it makes games

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
People have been circlejerking over souls type games for years at this point. It's got to be the most overrated genre in gaming at the moment. Why are they surprised that people are buying their latest release in droves?
So much this. A lot of this has to do with the fact that journalists are afraid to criticize these games in fear of being called names by the "leet" gamers. And gamers afraid to criticize or even not play them because it's considered the cool thing to do and some sort of an honor badge.

Browse any specialized forums and these games have a plethora of issues. Loved BB but man, incredibly overrated genre/studio/IPs.

D

Deleted member 223

I was actually surprised as well about all the hype and the insane jump in sales. It's a less focused Souls game, with a lot of open-world pitfalls (repetitive enemies etc) and the combat rhythm was hard to establish for many bosses, except perhaps the last boss first/second phase where you could actually dance with him. Those moments were few, I think the horse boss you could dance with as well, until he switches it up if I recall.

Have absolutely no interest in replaying Elden Ring. Got the plat and that is it. Can't even recall the name of the bosses as you can see. Dark Souls 3 , Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demon Souls on the other hand....

But hey it's like that actor or rap artist hitting it big on what isn't necessarily their best work. The studio deserves the success. So in that regard I can't say anything about the earned success. That is to say, their earlier games were underappreciated and poorly supported by the market financially.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
People have been circlejerking over souls type games for years at this point. It's got to be the most overrated genre in gaming at the moment. Why are they surprised that people are buying their latest release in droves?
Because a) the scale of the sales far outmatch their previous releases even though Souls games have been hyped since DS1, and b) usually people hype these games, die, and return them or stop playing which depresses their popularity outside of core fans as time goes on. But if I had to guess the accessibility features and open world nature did wonders for making the game more popular, but the devs don't understand how those small changes have such an outsized impact on the market.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
So much this. A lot of this has to do with the fact that journalists are afraid to criticize these games in fear of being called names by the "leet" gamers. And gamers afraid to criticize or even not play them because it's considered the cool thing to do and some sort of an honor badge.

Browse any specialized forums and these games have a plethora of issues. Loved BB but man, incredibly overrated genre/studio/IPs.
So what are your complaints and the issues you've noticed?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Because a) the scale of the sales far outmatch their previous releases even though Souls games have been hyped since DS1, and b) usually people hype these games, die, and return them or stop playing which depresses their popularity outside of core fans as time goes on. But if I had to guess the accessibility features and open world nature did wonders for making the game more popular, but the devs don't understand how those small changes have such an outsized impact on the market.
Almost Every Souls sequel sold more than the previous. Dark Souls 3 sold over 10 million. As I stated the Souls series due to exposure and word of mouth was climbing up and up every sequel.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Almost Every Souls sequel sold more than the previous. Dark Souls 3 sold over 10 million. As I stated the Souls series due to exposure and word of mouth was climbing up and up every sequel.
True, but the growth really exploded with ER and it wasn't just more linear growth. ER sold more than DS3's lifetime sales in 2w. That's impressive.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
True, but the growth really exploded with ER and it wasn't just more linear growth. ER sold more than DS3's lifetime sales in 2w. That's impressive.
It was definitely deserved. To think I shelved it for months because the open world change was off putting to me but later picked it up and never stopped playing.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Elden Ring was pretty much the sequel to botw I wanted in a few ways.

I expect the dlc to come close to a game’s worth of content too. I still want a From developed Bloodborne sequel tho.