Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Shadow of The Erdtre will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

• 70-74%

• 75-79%

• 80-84%

• 85-89%

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Pey

Content Creator
29 Sep 2022
My review (9.5/10) with lots of 4K screenshots, all without HUD: https://www.pcmrace.com/2024/06/18/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree-review/

Elden-Ring-Screenshot-2024.06.12-02.05.50.79.jpg

Elden-Ring-Screenshot-2024.06.13-03.55.53.02.jpg

Elden-Ring-Screenshot-2024.06.11-05.03.47.02.jpg

Full map for those who want to see it, with all Sites of Grace unlocked.

Elden-Ring-Screenshot-2024.06.18-02.21.03.81.jpg

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
How the hell would I be mad when I put 1k hours in all souls games combined??? But it is what it is. From gets away with murder on the technical side of things and other shortcomings.

They are not a small studio anymore and should do better.
Maybe you would be glad to wait 8 years between games to get rid of the jank.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
what's wrong with their games?
Dark Souls 1-3 + Elden Ring have the exact same combat systems. I have put 1000+ hours into all of these games and it is now stale. They have been surpassed by a lot of their children in this regard. They really have to spice things up, Excited for the DLC but I'll admit, the souls gameplay has been samey since 2016

Reactions: The Icon

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Dark Souls 1-3 + Elden Ring have the exact same combat systems. I have put 1000+ hours into all of these games and it is now stale. They have been surpassed by a lot of their children in this regard. They really have to spice things up, Excited for the DLC but I'll admit, the souls gameplay has been samey since 2016
Maybe you shouldn't have put over 1000+ hours into their game and created expectations for them to reinvent the wheel with every release, something no other dev does.

If FromSoftware doesn't deserve the praise they get who does? I would very much like to know, tell us.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Maybe you shouldn't have put over 1000+ hours into their game and created expectations for them to reinvent the wheel with every release, something no other dev does.

If FromSoftware doesn't deserve the praise they get who does? I would very much like to know, tell us.
Maybe I shouldn't have been a huge fan of their games since 2009? That number includes every soul like game they have released + DLC. I don't want them to reinvent the wheel every time. They quite frankly don't need to change it, I'll still buy and likely enjoy, but I'm not going to say they CURRENTLY make my favorite games still, because they don't. I'm not going to shout praises in them still in 2024 when I did that nonstop 09-15.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Maybe I shouldn't have been a huge fan of their games since 2009? That number includes every soul like game they have released + DLC. I don't want them to reinvent the wheel every time. They quite frankly don't need to change it, I'll still buy and likely enjoy, but I'm not going to say they CURRENTLY make my favorite games still, because they don't. I'm not going to shout praises in them still in 2024 when I did that nonstop 09-15.
So what other devs you think are the ones deserving of praise instead? Please, I'm curious.

I'm not a big Elden Ring fan myself as I like some of their other games more but it's obvious that they are deserving of all the praise they get.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Maybe you would be glad to wait 8 years between games to get rid of the jank.

It would be better if reviews just called a janky game out regardless of the studio that puts it out. If an eastern European studio did, media would have no trouble lashing it out.

The Koreans from Lies of P smoked from software technically and it was only their first release. Time to up their game.

I'm sure the game is great and I am looking forward to play it. But from games are a mess technically. Do you still have to run the PS4 version on PS5 to get better FPS?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'm sure the game is great and I am looking forward to play it. But from games are a mess technically. Do you still have to run the PS4 version on PS5 to get better FPS?
I play them on PC and even on release I was able to have it running smoothly on my GPU at the time (that was weaker than the one I have now).

Why should From Software care about how well their games run on PlayStation if even Sony doesn't? Bloodborne is still 30fps and nothing has been done.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So what other devs you think are the ones deserving of praise instead? Please, I'm curious.

I'm not a big Elden Ring fan myself as I like some of their other games more but it's obvious that they are deserving of all the praise they get.
As of right now? IMO:
Housemarque
Arrowhead
Larian
Capcom (itsuno's team)
Team Ninja (best combat devs)
CBU1 (rebirth)
and new to me, Shift Up.

And that's just a few, you can feel however you want about these devs, but they have recently dropped some of my favorite games this gen. FROM deserves their flowers, AC6 was one of my GOTYs last year. It's just from style souls that I have been jaded on since DS3, I understand why someone would think Elden Ring was the best game ever, after missing the previous 13 years of from, but i didn't miss those years. I was apart of DeS gamefaqs pvp community lol, sooner or later it was gonna stale up.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I play them on PC and even on release I was able to have it running smoothly on my GPU at the time (that was weaker than the one I have now).

Why should From Software care about how well their games run on PlayStation if even Sony doesn't? Bloodborne is still 30fps and nothing has been done.
What kinda logic is that? 😂

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
As of right now? IMO:
Housemarque
Arrowhead
Larian
Capcom (itsuno's team)
Team Ninja (best combat devs)
CBU1 (rebirth)
and new to me, Shift Up.

And that's just a few, you can feel however you want about these devs, but they have recently dropped some of my favorite games this gen. FROM deserves their flowers, AC6 was one of my GOTYs last year. It's just from style souls that I have been jaded on since DS3, I understand why someone would think Elden Ring was the best game ever, after missing the previous 13 years of from, but i didn't miss those years. I was apart of DeS gamefaqs pvp community lol, sooner or later it was gonna stale up.
You have to be kicking me for criticizing From Software for technical competence and listing CBU1. They still haven't overcome all the extremely low texture issues showing up even on important scenes.

Team Ninja? They are probably even worse than FromSoftware when it comes to technical competence.

The studio that released Dragon's Dogma 2 as well? lmao.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You have to be kicking me for criticizing From Software for technical competence and listing CBU1. They still haven't overcome all the extremely low texture issues showing up even on important scenes.
I said nothing about technical competence, I judge games based on how much FUN i am having. I am not a resolution/framerates/graphics slob whatsoever. It's the combat system atm that I am jaded on. I could tell you dodge rolling against a giant boss with dramatic orchestra ost isn't hitting the same way now as it did in 2011.

I don't see what you're arguing for since I agree with you in the sense that FROM is one of the industries best developers.