Embracer has cancelled a Deus Ex game and laid off staff at Eidos Montreal - @jasonschreier

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Embracer should just get the fuck out of the industry if they ain't going to do anything with all of this. Not even giving these studios a chance first under the new regime. Scummy as fuck.
What does that shit even mean? They offered the Time Splitters team up for sale (required under UK law, seemingly) and nobody put in an offer so where do those teams go afterwards? Especially CDE, who's games have only rarely made money over the past ten years. Setting aside that both Eidos and Crystal D are on big projects right now (TR with Amazon and Fable with MS) I don't know where you get off acting like this is a suprise, Embracer said they weren't done restructuring before this and as far as we can tell this isn't them finishing it up either.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Concerned for Gunfire. Never had faith in Embracer and it’s turning out like expected. They’re vultures like Microsoft. They’re dealing in death.

Unfortunate … I enjoyed the eidos games over square’s efforts across the board when they were part of Square Enix. All this stuff may just end up dying for good.

The IPs are whatever. Fans will exaggerate their relevance. I doubt they would be missed much tbh. I say this having enjoyed their games for decades.

I would’ve bought the next Deus Ex day one. Hearing that it even existed makes this a bigger bummer.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Embracer never made any sense to me, always seemed like some sort of Ponzi scheme.

I still can't get over how cheap Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics went for with all their IPs included. It just unfortunate that they were acquired by one of the worst publisher out there. Would've been a perfect fit for PlayStation if they were on top of their game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
What does that shit even mean? They offered the Time Splitters team up for sale (required under UK law, seemingly) and nobody put in an offer so where do those teams go afterwards? Especially CDE, who's games have only rarely made money over the past ten years. Setting aside that both Eidos and Crystal D are on big projects right now (TR with Amazon and Fable with MS) I don't know where you get off acting like this is a suprise, Embracer said they weren't done restructuring before this and as far as we can tell this isn't them finishing it up either.
Who piss in your cereal snowflake?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Honestly Sqaure selling off their Western Branch to anyone but Sony was dumb. It's a shame what has transpired.

Buying these studios also means getting all their debt, thats why the 300 million seemed so low

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I really don't understand how Embracer isn't selling off their studios. There has to be publishers out there willing to take some of their studios off their hands. There's no way I could believe that not a single other publisher would be interested in acquiring some of their studios and that Embracer wouldn't sell them off due to trying to cut costs.

As for Eidos, it sucks that their Deus Ex game was cancelled and people were let go. Still can't believe that Embracer were hedging all their bets on a verbal deal with Saudi Arabia which ultimately fell through.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Sorry, your take was so dumb that I just couldn't help but shit on it.
My apology for getting your menopausal mood swings worked up over stating how a company's handling of these studios they acquired are going poorly. I'll do better next time.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why did Embracer buy these ips and not know how to work them.
Surprised Sony didnt buy Dues Ex, Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver and Tomb Raider. They went for cheap.

I know they already have Uncharted but Remaking TR 1-4 would of been easy, they are not like Uncharted and they would of sold a profit plus movie rights. Or they could of just bought Dues Ex and Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver and left out Tomb Raider