Embracer is splitting into three companies: -Asmodee Group -Coffee Stain & Friends -Middle-earth Enterprises & Friend

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
These folks apparently make weird moves but I think it makes sense. Each part now will be better focused on their stuff depending less on the other ones, and would be better to have them as 3 separate entities in case they want or need to sell one or two of these parts, because some investor or acquired could be interested only in one or two of them.

But I think the "Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends" is an awful name. I'd have called it THQ as in the old days.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
These folks apparently make weird moves but I think it makes sense. Each part now will be better focused on their stuff depending less on the other ones, and would be better to have them as 3 separate entities in case they want or need to sell one or two of these parts, because some investor or acquired could be interested only in one or two of them.

But I think the "Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends" is an awful name. I'd have called it THQ as in the old days.
First thing i thought when i read the name.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Middle Earth and Friends makes the most sense with Amazon but Microsoft will be the one to get them. Phil is salivating about getting controls of all these IPs, even if many are dead.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All the names are so stupid, Embracer never made any sense and continues to not make any sense.

"Middle Earth and Friens" looks somewhat decent on the surface.

Reactions: ethomaz

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Phil no longer has a say at the company. It's being ran by money men. He's a console fanboy. Xbox going 3rd party hurt him more than colt and his ilk.
With the Fallout TV show a big hit, Phil could be deep-throating Satya right now and make him believe they can make TV shows with all the IPs.

Satya is a clueless moron about the gaming industry and he fell for every one of his lies. Just show him a graph with the Fallout 4 sales after the show and he will get a check.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All the names are so stupid, Embracer never made any sense and continues to not make any sense.

"Middle Earth and Friens" looks somewhat decent on the surface.
I remember being very critical to how Microsoft names their Xbox consoles... Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series lol... it can get us to tons of jokes and memes.

But now I really understand how bad naming can be :D
Ex-Embracer really opened my eyes to how low you can go in naming.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
With the Fallout TV show a big hit, Phil could be deep-throating Satya right now and make him believe they can make TV shows with all the IPs.

Satya is a clueless moron about the gaming industry and he fell for every one of his lies. Just show him a graph with the Fallout 4 sales after the show and he will get a check.
🤭💯

With tht said though i think a Sea of Thieves or even a Hellblade show could translate well to the big screen.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Reading the GI.biz article, the names are going to be changed to something real later on, I think they just want to give the new leadership teams time to decide or don't want to announce where some of the smaller groups are going.

My take? Its a pretty smart move, though I am not all in on the implementation. One of Embracer's biggest woes is that they are so diverse in offerings that their stock isn't really appealing to any one type of investor. They have a somewhat successful mobile/PC casual division (Coffee Stain) but if you want to buy a mobile game stock why would you saddle yourself with their "AAA" business when you could buy Playtika instead and just get mobile.

Asmodee is a huge chunk of the business, apparently operates at a loss and isn't really relevant to the rest. One of the go-to lines that Embracer's detractors used last year was that they purchased Asmodee for a certain amount (1.5 billion?) only to see the entire company's value decline to that same amount after the Savvy Games deal fell through. Now whoever does want to own Asmodee is free to do so without it being tied to a bunch of games stuff.

And then you have "Middle Earth Enterprises" which is where it looks like everything else will end up. Personally, I hate the name, I think they've done a god-awful job of managing LOTR and are driving the IP's value into the ground. Should have went with "Nordic Enterprises" or Plaion or just made something up. Which, you know, they are still free to do.

Of the three companies, Coffeestain is a smart buy, I'd stay away from the other two.

edit: Wait, THQN is going with CS while Plaion is going with MEE? That makes no sense. They're being dummies.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Reading the GI.biz article, the names are going to be changed to something real later on, I think they just want to give the new leadership teams time to decide or don't want to announce where some of the smaller groups are going.

My take? Its a pretty smart move, though I am not all in on the implementation. One of Embracer's biggest woes is that they are so diverse in offerings that their stock isn't really appealing to any one type of investor. They have a somewhat successful mobile/PC casual division (Coffee Stain) but if you want to buy a mobile game stock why would you saddle yourself with their "AAA" business when you could buy Playtika instead and just get mobile.

Asmodee is a huge chunk of the business, apparently operates at a loss and isn't really relevant to the rest. One of the go-to lines that Embracer's detractors used last year was that they purchased Asmodee for a certain amount (1.5 billion?) only to see the entire company's value decline to that same amount after the Savvy Games deal fell through. Now whoever does want to own Asmodee is free to do so without it being tied to a bunch of games stuff.

And then you have "Middle Earth Enterprises" which is where it looks like everything else will end up. Personally, I hate the name, I think they've done a god-awful job of managing LOTR and are driving the IP's value into the ground. Should have went with "Nordic Enterprises" or Plaion or just made something up. Which, you know, they are still free to do.

Of the three companies, Coffeestain is a smart buy, I'd stay away from the other two.

edit: Wait, THQN is going with CS while Plaion is going with MEE? That makes no sense. They're being dummies.
Thts good.