Enthusiasm for the PS5 Pro seems to be non-existent amongst most video game developers, with most claiming there is no need for it

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The problem is, with Sony's own studios facing difficulties with cross-gen before and multiplatform development now, who will actually make use of the extra power if not for "brute forcing" games to run properly, while struggling on base console?
It doesn't matter, if devs are incompetent it's even better to have an option like the PS5 Pro to brute force your way into better performance/visuals.

I would be having a better experience now playing FFVII Rebirth on the PS5 Pro if it was out without the compromises the performance mode has right now. The same would be true for a lot of other games.

Not releasing the PS5 Pro is not going to magically make devs good at optimizing games.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PS5 pro is needed. People who don't want it can play Marvel's 1943 at 900P. At least thst PSSR will give us a decent 4K like image.

And what happened to the "it is just graphics slider" argument ? Why PS5 pro can't have that magical slider that Series S has?

Last edited:

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Your argument seems to be "ohh boy, whatever should I do with this extra power" and I dont know if that makes a lot of sense, its quite obvious no?
maybe I'm just not getting, I'm sorry.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I already said this, it's fulfilling a non-existent hole in the market. Yes there is a place for enthusiast class or higher end computational hardware but it needs to serve a necessitive function.

This isn't the same scenario that brought about the creation of the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X. There was a legitimate need for a console that could produce 4K capable rendering for the transitory stage from 1080p to 4K TVs.

I can't think of or see a single reason or necessity for the creation of this, what void is it actually filling?

Reactions: toadsage44

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Well I agree. PlayStation themselves haven't even done a good job as to why the PS5 exists 4 years after launch. It's just a machine that plays PS4 games better
What did you expect it to do, make breakfast and walk the dogs, just do what your good at Tifa, just sit there and look pretty. 😍

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Danja1187

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I already said this, it's fulfilling a non-existent hole in the market. Yes there is a place for enthusiast class or higher end computational hardware but it needs to serve a necessitive function.

This isn't the same scenario that brought about the creation of the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X. There was a legitimate need for a console that could produce 4K capable rendering for the transitory stage from 1080p to 4K TVs.

I can't think of or see a single reason or necessity for the creation of this, what void is it actually filling?
As games get more graphically intensive like UE5 games. The Pro will be able to give those games much better image quality. Those UE5 games like Marvel’s 1943 could go below 1080p.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes there is a place for enthusiast class or higher end computational hardware but it needs to serve a necessitive function.
No it doesnt. In the end the ps4 Pro was largely unecessary. it brought 60fps gaming to a lot of games but check your ps4 library and you'll realize that most of it will still run at 1080p 30fps even in your ps5 simply because the pro wasnt the standart.
I'm not saying it was irrelevant either, at 14.3 million units sold (more than the WiiU) it became the perfect enthusiat machine, and the ps5 pro will fill that niche as well, being sold relativelly at the same time as the PS4 pro did during the ps4 lifetime.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Well I agree. PlayStation themselves haven't even done a good job as to why the PS5 exists 4 years after launch. It's just a machine that plays PS4 games better
This is such a bad take. LMAO So what about the Dualsense and the SSD? Also couldn’t you say that about most new consoles?

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
When I look at how games have been running or looking in recent months (in terms of resolution and graphics/LoD), it can only be meant sarcastically or developers really don't care anymore in what condition a full-price title is released.

First and foremost, the PS5 Pro will certainly be gratefully received by the first-party studios. I expect more from Naughty Dog and Co on the Pro than from developers who have so far had problems offering 60FPS with appealing image quality and ray tracing.

• they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is a market for PS5 Pro.
Is it small? Yeap, compared with the base and cheaper console.
But there is a market.

So developer opinion won’t be taken by Sony.
And if the Pro sells 20 million it is already a success.

But I understand the developer takes because it really doesn’t make sense in a development context and at the end a PS5 Pro console will most cater PS5 owners than increase the market of the PS5.

In terms of increasing market a portable should be the right option here instead a Pro imo.

Imagine if Sony can do a PS portable with similar PS5 arch that can run PS5 games at lower/mobile profile.
So all games that you buy on PS5 can be used in the PS portable and vice versa.

That should give a big boost in market to Sony.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I'm personally excited for it, I've seen multiple people excited for it.

According to moores law is dead, which did the specs leaks. He said that there are plenty of features to make the pro version have ver seamless upgrades.

This also makes it better than the ps4 pro, because devs then were upset over having to optimize for the pro.

Sony has made the process better for the ps5 pro. For consumers its just good overall though.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm personally excited for it, I've seen multiple people excited for it.

According to moores law is dead, which did the specs leaks. He said that there are plenty of features to make the pro version have ver seamless upgrades.

This also makes it better than the ps4 pro, because devs then were upset over having to optimize for the pro.

Sony has made the process better for the ps5 pro. For consumers its just good overall though.
Hardcore gamers users that do access forum, YouTube, etc indeed wants a Pro.
Common game consumers not… better they don’t cater at all.
You need to remember we are a very small part of the PS userbase.

People vocal on ICON, GAF, ERA, D-PAD, Twitter, YouTube, etc are a very niche pool of gamers.

Xbots shills never understood that… and believed Series hype was the best ever for a Xbox console but that hype was only in their cycle.

I remember talking on GAF with a lot of them saying… MS is doing everything right, they hype was never so high, Phil create a totally different situation for the launch, etc etc etc.

And I keep saying this hype is just a bubble… Series will have a worst launch than Xbox One… and that happened… Xbox One in 13 countries did better than Series in 40 or so countries lol

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Hardcore gamers users that do access forum, YouTube, etc indeed wants a Pro.
Common game consumers not… better they don’t cater at all.
You need to remember we are a very small part of the PS userbase.

People vocal on ICON, GAF, ERA, D-PAD, Twitter, YouTube, etc are a very niche pool of gamers.

Xbots shills never understood that… and believed Series hype was the best ever for a Xbox console but that hype was only in their cycle.
You're right but I can see a pro being sold quite alot because a GTA VI and possibly other big games, that will take advantage of the specs. Such as Santamonica or Nuaghty Dog, or also Guerilla or CDPR.

And as I mentioned Sony has apparently done some good stuff to make these upgrades seamless unlike the Xbox series consoles.

Don't you think because of these reasons spending a extra 100$~ on a Ps5 pro is more worth it if you want the best possible experience?

Reactions: ethomaz
24 Jun 2022

Introducing developers to AI-powered silicon solutions that can ease their development workload would be the obvious answer, especially for things related to auto-LOD generation or the such.

However, PSSR as it sounds, while very interesting, might only resolve part of that workload issue in practice as it deals with upscaling internal framebuffer resolutions. So in theory, developers only need to produce assets (mainly textures) at a level that'd work for a lower internal resolution that PSSR then scales up, so that would save dev time for artists on creating high-resolution textures, and could help with lowering game file sizes.

That said, it's only specifically targeting one aspect of the game development pipeline; stuff like PSSR can't do anything for auto-generating smart LOD models of higher or lower detail in real-time from source assets and metadata to program (or condition) silicon to know what to scale up/down and how, because that would be done with complementary technology in a future hardware design (maybe something like a PS6). And that type of technology could hopefully also sample the framebuffer to know what LOD levels would be needed based on calculated distance and position in the viewport (the player camera setting the viewspace for the framebuffer, basically).

There is already some amazing AI-based technology out there that can do things like generate 3D meshes of objects from simple photos. Magic123 and technologies like it, are things Sony need to be incorporating into the SDKs and silicon of systems like the PS6, and expand upon them like being able to do the aforementioned things I was mentioning above. Pairing that with stuff like PSSR would be a boon in significantly speeding up dev times and lowering development costs.

So if PSSR is the first step towards that type of future hardware, then yes PS5 Pro does have an important purpose for devs in getting them used to developing games from the ground-up with specific internal resolutions in mind that can be upscaled very well from that to a higher resolution, meaning there are some things like texture assets they can ease up on in terms of file sizes and detail levels which will help at least speed up those parts of their game development.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You're right but I can see a pro being sold quite alot because a GTA VI and possibly other big games, that will take advantage of the specs. Such as Santamonica or Nuaghty Dog, or also Guerilla or CDPR.

And as I mentioned Sony has apparently done some good stuff to make these upgrades seamless unlike the Xbox series consoles.

Don't you think because of these reasons spending an extra 100$~ on a Ps5 pro is more worth it if you want the best possible experience?
Yeap… there is market for it.
Like 20 million or so.
That is good for Sony.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Same can be said about PC, yet people can't stop talking about how superior it is to the PS5.

PS5 Pro as a product makes perfect sense, if devs can't make games that take advantage of the base PS5 that is another problem.
Okay but I don't care about PC? I'm speaking as a consumer of PlayStation products? The PS5 has been a disappointment

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
No it doesnt. In the end the ps4 Pro was largely unecessary. it brought 60fps gaming to a lot of games but check your ps4 library and you'll realize that most of it will still run at 1080p 30fps even in your ps5 simply because the pro wasnt the standart.
I'm not saying it was irrelevant either, at 14.3 million units sold (more than the WiiU) it became the perfect enthusiat machine, and the ps5 pro will fill that niche as well, being sold relativelly at the same time as the PS4 pro did during the ps4 lifetime.
This is kind of a part of my point and one of the reasons I'm so happy to see these games coming to PC. The reliance on Sony and other publishers to forward port their previously released games is not enough.

Take a game like Bloodborne or Forza Horizon 2 for example, they've been stuck in generation 8 limbo for a decade.

Now imagine if those game had gotten a PC release, every person who could have possibly have wanted to play those games in a more exceptional state could have. You could be playing them at 4K 120 FPS right now.

The mid generation thing, I don't know, I just don't trust any of these publishers enough to exclude a PC version of a game because the chances of them actually doing the right thing for the console audience is not reliable.