Epic Store reaches 230 million accounts and 68 million active users

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Epic Games recently revealed its 2022 data, bringing a lot of interesting information about its store growth over the last year and also what it expects in the future.

The company announced that its platform reached 230 million users on PC, with nearly 725 million cross-platform accounts counting players on other platforms. The number of active users per month reached 68 million in December 2022.

image.png

IMG_5522.png

IMG_5523.png

And most importantly, the weekly free games continue, so people can get free games on the Epic plattform:

IMG_5524.png

Some more interesting tidbits:
The company is also planning to add support for subscription services from third-party publishers, meaning the Epic Games Store could offer programs like EA Play, Ubisoft Plus, and "hopefully PC Game Pass," according to Allison. He even mentioned that the store could offer the Unity development engine, which competes directly with Epic's own Unreal Engine.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People really like these free games lol

I mean the revenue with game sales is always way lower than what the total accounts and MAUs shows should do.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The only reason I have the Epic Games Store installed is for battlefront 2 which I got at an incredible discount at the time. Other than that, meh

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Good news. Hopefully they get better numbers for by PC players buying PC store. PC gamers seem to be kinda cheap skates when it comes to software, but spend thousands on hardware.

Time for Valve/Steam to have some competition the lazy buggers. The more the better.

Valve/Steam are just making money off every publisher/studio/developer while not making barely any games themselves.
Heck Platforms like Playstation, Nintendo and Xbox are making more games then Valve/Steam. Fat and lazy just like Gabe. Make some games

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Time for Valve/Steam to have some competition the lazy buggers. The more the better.

Valve/Steam are just making money off every publisher/studio/developer while not making barely any games themselves.

While I agree with this assessment, I disagree with your conclusion.

Steam is infinitely better than Epic Store. The workshop alone makes steam the obvious choice for most games.

As for games, except fortnite, what games has epic released recently?

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
While I agree with this assessment, I disagree with your conclusion.

Steam is infinitely better than Epic Store. The workshop alone makes steam the obvious choice for most games.

As for games, except fortnite, what games has epic released recently?
Im not saying what is better, just Valve/Steam needs competition, they are lazy and leaching off others. Like I said, they have done less than any other platform holder.

Fortnite is probably more work than Valve has done in years. Just that one game.
Plus they contribute to the gaming industry hella lot more than Valve with Unreal Engine

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm very active on the Epic store. Every single week I get the free game(s), have done so for years now!

I don't think that I spent any money on it tho.

• Shake
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Im not saying what is better, just Valve/Steam needs competition, they are lazy and leaching off others. Like I said, they have done less than any other platform holder.

How are they leeching off others?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How are they leeching off others?

Maybe leeching is too harsh. But they are just making money off every game on their store. When they should be actually making games too.
Valve was a game creator, now it just makes money off games people make. And as a game creator, they make less games then other Platform holders like Xbox, Nintendo or Sony.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Maybe leeching is too harsh. But they are just making money off every game on their store. When they should be actually making games too.
Valve was a game creator, now it just makes money off games people make. And as a game creator, they make less games then other Platform holders like Xbox, Nintendo or Sony.

But you can't look at their business as the business of making games. They almost fully transitioned to the business of being a storefront that occasionally will release a title. They are not comparable even to CDPR

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Sellouts for free sausage.
I never subbed. They lost me when they took metro exodus right from under my nose. Thankfully I had it preordered but that was a dick move

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
But you can't look at their business as the business of making games. They almost fully transitioned to the business of being a storefront that occasionally will release a title. They are not comparable even to CDPR

I prefer them when they were making games. I dont really care for steam or the storefront. I barely use steam, so Id rather have them make me games lol.
Of course the majority will prefer the storefront and love Steam. Im just talking as a purely personal preference. Just a shame because they made awesome games, some of the best.

Plus for some reason Gabe just annoys me haha

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume most of these 68M are the PS, Switch and Xbox Fornite players and people who only goes to their PC store/launcher to download Fortnite or the free games.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
HL Alyx came out in 2020, and the new Counter Strike is coming out soon.

Valve is a small private company.
I assume most of these 68M are the PS, Switch and Xbox Fornite players and people who only goes to their PC store/launcher to download Fortnite or the free games.
That's very likely. The only guy I know who uses epic just gets the free games. He's also never played any of them, and only has it installed to mess with UE.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That's very likely. The only guy I know who uses epic just gets the free games. He's also never played any of them, and only has it installed to mess with UE.
This is my case, I go there from time to time to get some free games I never pay. I only bought there Tetris Effect because they had a $10 bucks and I think it wasn't available on Steam at least back then.