[Europe] God of War Ragnarok's first 3 weeks are 62% bigger than the first 3 weeks of 2018's God of War, 69% of sales on PS5

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Chris Dring is the main man!

I thought more of the sales would be on PS5 TBH... I think if you see the boost in sales connected with PS5 shipments, it's clear why I would think that.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Reactions: PropellerEar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That includes physical and digital.

BTW 70% buying on PS5 shows the big mistake Sony did focusing in cross-gen games.

PS5 only games is the only path to success.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

WOW, 62% more than 2018! Holy crap! That was a game that sold over 20M copies!

BTW 70% buying on PS5 shows the big mistake Sony did focusing in cross-gen games.

No. This would be to leave 30% on the table. So if this game ends selling 30M copies, it would mean to leave almost 10M copies on the table. Think that also players who still couldn't jump to PS5 are the ones with less money, meaning that pretty likely many of them will get the game later, specially when discounted. While the ones who moved to PS5 are more early adopters, high spenders.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That includes physical and digital.

It wasn't a mistake for the 2 years that the system was damned near impossible to find due to production shortages.

The MASSIVE increase in supply RIGHT NOW is why the numbers are so insane for this. Even then, the game is cross-gen and selling ok on PS4, so your argument falls right on its ass. You can't go new-get only until there are enough people out there who have the system, or you won't make the money back!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It wasn't a mistake for the 2 years that the system was damned near impossible to find due to production shortages.

The MASSIVE increase in supply RIGHT NOW is why the numbers are so insane for this. Even then, the game is cross-gen and selling ok on PS4, so your argument falls right on its ass. You can't go new-get only until there are enough people out there who have the system, or you won't make the money back!
Still all previous generations gone new from start…

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Still all previous generations gone new from start…
Most of them had no choice but to do so, but also didn't have two years of chaos causing shortages that practically wiped out a platform launch, did they?

For Sony to completely stop making PS4 games when the PS5 launched would have seen them go through the pandemic with only a tiny player base able to buy their games. Does that sound intelligent to you, when there was unprecedented demand for games and a huge existing audience?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Fucking well deserved. Sony knows these big budget campaigns are their bread and butter and what solidified them. They will keep churning them out because gamers are talking with their wallets!!!!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Most of them had no choice but to do so, but also didn't have two years of chaos causing shortages that practically wiped out a platform launch, did they?

For Sony to completely stop making PS4 games when the PS5 launched would have seen them go through the pandemic with only a tiny player base able to buy their games. Does that sound intelligent to you, when there was unprecedented demand for games and a huge existing audience?
The opposite.
The pandemic increased both hardware/software sales and player engagement/expense… outside all terrible causes of the Pandemic it at least helped to grow the industry.

And yes to support a new platform even with a tiny userbase is smart because that is how you grow that platform faster.

Sony should give the example while the 3rd-party was the ones to support both systems for that launch window.

After all Sony is the platform holder and need to push and show the path to 3rd-parties.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The opposite.
The pandemic increased both hardware/software sales and player engagement/expense… outside all terrible causes of the Pandemic it at least helped to grow the industry.

And yes to support a new platform even with a tiny userbase is smart because that is how you grow that platform faster.

Sony should give the example while the 3rd-party was the ones to support both systems for that launch window.

After all Sony is the platform holder and need to push and show the path to 3rd-parties.
Ok, I will keep this as simple as possible for you.

If nobody can buy your new platform, that platform can't grow no matter what you put on it.

Got it?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ok, I will keep this as simple as possible for you.

If nobody can buy your new platform, that platform can't grow no matter what you put on it.

Got it?
Nobody can buy?
Sony was shipping millions of consoles each quarter that were being brought in record pace… userbase was never an issue with PS5.

Previous platforms with way lower userbase/sales had no suck issue with first-party games being not cross-gen.

What these cross-gen games benefits the gamer? To release games like GoW Raganarok that looks like an enhancement instead a new-gen game? Santa Monica was praised to their push on graphics with GoW games.

Because that mistake we are here waiting games that really shines on consoles and that from Studios that used to be the showcase of PlayStation setting the graphic bar in a new level.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
God of War is bigger than it has ever been, and I love it.

I wonder how Sony and SSM plan to take this franchise forward.

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
God of War is bigger than it has ever been, and I love it.

I wonder how Sony and SSM plan to take this franchise forward.

I would love a "Greek Tales Anthology" on PS5. Would be great if they port all PS2+PSP games to at least an updated (aka 4k,60fps) GoW3 Remastered engine and bundle GoW3 and Ascension with them.

I also read somewhere, that Kratos went through Egypt after leaving Greece in the comics. Might be a cool idea to have a playable 2D versions of it, made by some promising Indie devs. Only in case they don't plan full GoW games for Egypt.