[Europe] Hogwarts Legacy is Europe’s fastest-selling game (except FIFA), PS5 Sales over 5X Compared To February Last Year

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/hogwa...fifa-for-a-generation-european-monthly-charts

SOFTWARE:
Hogwarts Legacy had the sixth biggest launch for a video game since the European charts started six years ago.

The only games ahead of it are FIFA titles. That means Hogwarts Legacy had a bigger launch than every Call of Duty game released since 2017, plus other breakout hits such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring.

After just three weeks on sale, Hogwarts Legacy is already the fifth best-selling game of the last 12 months, behind FIFA 23, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Elden Ring.

The next highest-charting new release is war shooter Atomic Heart at No.9.

Elsewhere, The Last of Us Part 2 and The Last of Us Remastered both jumped up the charts, boosted by the HBO TV series based on the games. Part 2 sales were up 317% over February last year, while Remastered sales are up 285%.

HARDWARE:
PS5 and Xbox see stronger February sales

In terms of consoles, PS5 saw a huge spike in sales across Europe last month, with sales up five times over February last year. The start of last year was extremely slow for PS5, due to severe stock shortages worldwide.

The hardware data from GSD covers multiple European markets, but it is missing two of the biggest territories: the UK and Germany. You can read the UK hardware report over here.

PS5 was comfortably the best-selling console across tracked European markets, with sales more than double Nintendo Switch in second place. Switch sales are down 28% across Europe, mirroring a similar decline in the UK. Nintendo's next big push around Switch is in the second quarter of the year, with activity planned around the new Zelda game and Mario movie.

ACCESSORIES:
Over in accessories, 1.27 million items were sold across European markets last month, a slight drop of 0.2%. This area has been boosted by the console market, with the PS5 DualSense controller continuing to see strong sales.

In terms of points and wallet sales, 1.15 million of these cards were sold across Europe, a drop of 8% year-on-year.

European GSD February 2023 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
5NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
6Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
8God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
9Atomic Heart (Focus Entertainment)
10Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo) *
11Borderlands 3 (2K Games)
12Dead Space (EA)
13Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla (Ubisoft)
14It Takes Two (EA)
15Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo) *
16The Last of Us: Remastered (Sony)
17WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
18Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 (2K Games)
19Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
20Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Nintendo/Mojang)*

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
5X?? No wonder Xbox was able to beat PS in a couple of months last year

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I just realized Hogwarts is current gen only right now. Hey devs.. time to let the old gen rest in peace.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
PS5 is truly an unstoppable force at this point :sneaky: .

Dragon Ball Ultra Instinct GIF by Toei Animation

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
That's something I didn't expect to happen, even as a satisfied customer. I mean, I expected some level of success, maybe close to ps4. But not total domination.
I honesty expected domination after the way they ended PS4 generation and the lead up to this gen.

They ended last gen with Spiderman, FF7 and Ghost of Tsushima. Three GOTY contenders and they started the new gen with Spiderman Miles Morales, Demon's Soul Remake, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank. They had tons of momentum coming into this gen and they didn't slow down with the games. The only thing slowing them down was the shortages. They had the strongest start of the gen of any Playstation console in history with the PS5. The hype they had was nuts and everyone everywhere wanted to own a PS5, it's too bad they has crippling shortages at the start. The domination we are seeing now is the true hype and popularity of the PS5.

Microsoft and Xbox Series consoles never stood a chance and deep down they know it. That's why they are so desperate with the Bathesda and ABK acquisitions because they know they have zero chance of matching PS5's hype or mindshare without these desperate moves. With the hype the PS5 has now not even purchasing ABK and making all their games exclusive to Xbox will slow down Sony's domination.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Whats Civ VI doing up there? Some sort of sale? Not sure why Switch Sports continues to sell so well too. I get that its a Wii Sports successor, but I thought people were over that sort of stuff and it lacks the direct branding of it.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

jIDPmzo.gif
These ResetEra people are lunatics:

reset-jk-rowling-mean.jpg
They all agree because everyone who did not was kicked out a long time ago.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

jIDPmzo.gif
Lol locked by "jannies".

edit: Just now read the end comment, what a miserly unlovable cunt.
Uggh, I have the image of him telling the thread he's going to ban people and not unlock it, why doesn't this forum let me edit in images to my existing posts?

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Seems that people who were boycotting Howgarts Legacy were very successful and none of them bought the game.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I wonder how would era react to me posting I accidentally bought two copies of HL. We’ll find out.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KiryuRealty

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Lol locked by "jannies".

edit: Just now read the end comment, what a miserly unlovable cunt.
Uggh, I have the image of him telling the thread he's going to ban people and not unlock it, why doesn't this forum let me edit in images to my existing posts?

I saw that post.

They gave no reason why the thread is being locked. Looks like the mods are mad about PS5 success too.