Ex-Far Cry and Battlefield developers have set up Moon Rover Games

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

Moon Rover aims to explore new frontiers in emergent games​

Stockholm studio founded by Far Cry and Battlefield developers working on a new recipe for emergent multiplayer co-op action

As the name implies, the newly established studio Moon Rover Games is looking to map out uncharted territory.

With a founding team of developers who worked on franchises like Far Cry, Battlefield, and Crusader Kings, Moon Rover wants to build on their experience with emergent gameplay and use it to do something new in a type of game defined by its ability to turn out novel results.

"There's something around emergent game experiences, a slight loss of control around the way the game works that I just really love," Moon Rover creative director Jamie Keen tells GamesIndustry.biz.

"There's this kind of joy you see within players when they get to experience this stuff, when they get a system that feels like it has a life of its own. That's something we really want to push forward with.

"We're taking a leap out of the anecdote generator that was Far Cry, and the [emergent] moments that punctuate through Battlefield. We want to do the same sort of thing, find our own recipe and move the design and paradigm on a bit if we possibly can."

P

peter42O

Great to see another new studio get formed but seems like their focus will be on emergent multi-player/co-op action which sadly is of no interest to me. Shame since I love Far Cry.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony:

Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Random group of 2000s trend-chasers: We want to make an all new gameplay experience. Its going to basically be a shittier Destiny.
Twenty other groups of 2000s trend-chasers: We want to make an all new gameplay experience. Its going to basically be a shittier Destiny.|

Bungie ten years ago: We want to make an all new gameplay experience. And unlike the schmucks above, we actually mean it.