Fable: Xbox Game Studios chief says people need to realise games now take 4-6 years to make

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
fable-richard-ayoade-1280x720.jpg

Xbox Game Studios chief Matt Booty has said that both game players and the industry in general need to realise that most big games now have development cycles of around half a decade.

In an interview with Axios, Booty said:

“I think that the industry and the fans were a little behind the curve on sort of a reset to understand that games aren’t two or three years anymore.”

Specifically referring to high-end big-budget games, Booty added that now “they’re four, and five, and six years”.

While the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation saw a plethora of large franchises releasing as many as three games in a series in the space of one console – Gears of War, Halo (3, Reach, 4) and Uncharted, for example – the Xbox One and PS4 generation saw this frequency slow significantly due to the increase in game budgets and the number of people working on individual titles.

While annualised franchises such as Assassin’s Creed (which routinely released a new title every Christmas until a recent break) and Call of Duty (which has maintained annual releases for almost 20 years) remain, they are aided by several studios swapping off development duty, meaning they’re spending closer to three or four years on each title.

Starfield, Xbox’s biggest game of the year, will be the firsttitle released from Bethesda Game Studios since Fallout 4 in 2015, marking an almost decade-long gap between games.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Well, then maybe you should've started making them 6 years ago. But even that is sort of a lie since the output of Xbox games has been extremely poor for more than 10 years at this point.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Big budget games take longer to make, but Microsoft is a troubled publisher. That didn't just start happening this generation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Hasn't that been the norm for AAA games since some time in the ps2 days? At the very least in the ps360 gen that was very common.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Phil will be ready comes next gen and if not he'll be ready for next next gen.
This is amazing how this guy is always ready for the next thing!

I think that nobody told Matt Booty that games took this long to develop for all this time, and now it's so late they did not want to make him feel stupid (because he's the boss)... so they said it like it was something completely new. Now he thinks he looks intelligent by passing the information around.

As if the gamers and industry members did not know 🤷.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
He is only stating the obvious, everyone in the gaming community should know this but.......................and I mean a big but when developers continue to do empty promises that they do reveal and release data and say this or that and continue to do the same thing over and over. People get impatient and this is the only industry where this happens. At least in the entertainment industry when they do a reveal for a movie or a reveal of music they actually mean it. I just think developers like Microsoft need to stop revealing games early unless they are absolutely sure that it will meet their expectations because if I recall the game itself has gone through change substantially enough.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
A lot of strange things still happen with MS games. What was that Halo reveal in 2018? What explains the difference between Avowed a few years ago an what they showed now? Why was The Coalition working on a Matrix demo? It does seem like MS spends a lot of time making a bunch of concept trailers they can't match and not actually making the games.

This is amazing how this guy is always ready for the next thing!
Dude will be unbearable if Starfield ends up being a hit and he'll try to take all the credit.

It would be curious to see how he would spin Starfield under-performing.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Or more....

As long as they are productive years, it's all good.

Can't afford to spend a year or two stalled in development.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People also have to realize many of these MS games announced with a CG teaser were announced when these games still weren't even in production.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Just wait for Starfield 2 we will get it right this time, because we have listened the community.

and he will say it with a straight face.
2025: Obisidian-developed Starfield spinoff "New Centauri" with way better writing and NPC engagement that most fans agree is the best one.