Fable: Xbox Game Studios chief says people need to realise games now take 4-6 years to make

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This has 19 million views. I’m not sure if that’s good for fable or not but probably not.

Is it an adam's apple I see? It's subtle, but I think it's there. Whoever removed it butchered the job.

The DEI con$sultant did a good job on transing this character, all toxicity was removed.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This has 19 million views. I’m not sure if that’s good for fable or not but probably not.

People are incensed by endemic racism especially in the US. Police and self-appointed vigilantes repeatedly face no penalty for killing unarmed black people going about their lives. Women are being routinely harassed and sexually coerced in the workplace. It's their fault Playground games made a frumpy protagonist in a frumpy RPG franchise.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is it an adam's apple I see? It's subtle, but I think it's there. Whoever removed it butchered the job.

The DEI con$sultant did a good job on transing this character, all toxicity was removed.

Have you ever been in contact with a woman, or do they all file a restraining order the moment they see you?

main-qimg-d5814cdafeee998de6c03f9a65eb7e49

Edit: Morena Baccarin is a dude confirmed.

249332_v9_bb.jpg

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
People are incensed by endemic racism especially in the US. Police and self-appointed vigilantes repeatedly face no penalty for killing unarmed black people going about their lives. Women are being routinely harassed and sexually coerced in the workplace. It's their fault Playground games made a frumpy protagonist in a frumpy RPG franchise.
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or if you should go to resetera where you belong. I was merely pointing out that outside of the gaming sphere bubble fable isn’t getting positive traction based off his 19 million (and counting m) views.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Based on the games I palyed from Obisidian (Pilars of Eternity, Tyranny and The Outer Worlds) they seem just as overhyped as Bethesda.

Fallout died when Bethesda touched it.
aww, i think bethesda basically has not missed. each game since morrowind has lost a bit of the deranged surprises I love to stumble on in the open world. on the other hand, each game has gotten mostly better to play. like fallout 4 might be their least exciting world, but it's also the first/only bethesda game with pretty good first person combat. the sweet spot was like oblivion->fallout3, but i still keep coming back to their games.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
aww, i think bethesda basically has not missed. each game since morrowind has lost a bit of the deranged surprises I love to stumble on in the open world. on the other hand, each game has gotten mostly better to play. like fallout 4 might be their least exciting world, but it's also the first/only bethesda game with pretty good first person combat. the sweet spot was like oblivion->fallout3, but i still keep coming back to their games.
I don't get the appeal at all, all I get from their games is that every time they have a design decision to make they go with quantity over quality.

I never played Fallout 4, 3 was enough for me to not wan't to play them anymore. I guess I sort of get the appeal in theory (freedom to explore the world) but in practice it doesn't work for me (world seems really uninteresting and doesn't capture me, all I see are the obvious flaws everywhere).

From Bethesda I played Morrowind, Skyrim and Fallout 3, that's it I think and I don't like their brand of RPGs at all.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hasn't that been the norm for AAA games since some time in the ps2 days? At the very least in the ps360 gen that was very common.
In the 360/PS3 gen we got Naughty Dog making Uncharted 1,2,3 and TLOU. Bungie made Halo 3, ODT and Reach. Gears released 1-3.
I think it just depends on the projects and team, team sizes etc

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I wonder how many extra console MS has sold based on the the CG trailers they showed since 2019/2020 knowing those games that wound not release until 2024 or later compared to if they had not showed those games.

I think it would've looked even worse if Xbox had they not showed those games to their audience regardless if they'll deliver on them or not. MS was completely unprepared for this gen and they have no excuses since their output was also weak for the Xbox One gen specially at the end.

Sony closed the PS4 generation with games like Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU Part II, had a drastically better launch line up, had a better output of exclusive games since then and seem to have better games on the way.

I think Sony is making a big mistake by not announcing stuff in advance as well, creating a false impression that Xbox can match their output.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022

Man I really hate the trend west vs East attractive nonsense. But even I can't defend this

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Tell that to insomniac games.
They are churning quality games quite quickly
Insomniac doesn't develop games in a year. They work on 3 or 4 games at the same time with different teams.

As an example, the Spider-Man 2 team is the Spider-Man 1 team. And the Wolverine team is the Miles Morales team. Plus they have the folks who made Rift Apart. And some small team folks who made VR/AR experiments or supported the Nixxes PC ports team.

Insomniac takes the same time than the other ones to develop new games. They simply have more people working on more games at the same time.

I wonder how many extra console MS has sold based on the the CG trailers they showed since 2019/2020 knowing those games that wound not release until 2024 or later compared to if they had not showed those games.

I think it would've looked even worse if Xbox had they not showed those games to their audience regardless if they'll deliver on them or not. MS was completely unprepared for this gen and they have no excuses since their output was also weak for the Xbox One gen specially at the end.

Sony closed the PS4 generation with games like Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU Part II, had a drastically better launch line up, had a better output of exclusive games since then and seem to have better games on the way.

I think Sony is making a big mistake by not announcing stuff in advance as well, creating a false impression that Xbox can match their output.
I think Sony's current approach is the best one: to release a lot of great games every year and focus on marketing the ones to be released in maximum a year or a year and a half.

MS couldn't do that because didn't have enough hyping games in the short term, so had to do some CGs to announce games that still weren't in production and were going to be released like up to 5-7 years in the future.

Promises don't sell consoles, releasing every year a great lineup of awesome games do. This is why Sony sells over twice the consoles than MS does. Players are confident, know that Sony does great stuff: to the point they don't need to almost see the game, don't need many trailers: if SSM releases a new GoW or Insomniac releases a new Spider-Man people will buy it because know they will be great.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Most games aren't AAA... But notice the rest of the post, it has been the case for a long time that games can take 5 or 6 years to be finished, sometimes more.
I am talking AAA. At that time they take 2-3 years. Uncharted used to come evey 2 years, same for Killzone, and Infamous, and Gears, and Mass Effect and many more AAA games. Yes there were some games that took longer to develop, but that wasn't the norm for AAA. It's only now because every AAA has to Ubisoftified 200 hour open world.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Games become popular, make more money, technology advances, scope and budgets increase to take advantage of the increased money and better tech, dev cycles lengthened to achieve said scope, games become more popular, etc.

It's quite a cycle, but some studios are already trying to cut down on insane dev time. Many are already dropping their own in-house engines to move to Unreal, which I don't actively want, but if it ultimately allows devs to achieve their goals in a shorter amount of time, then go for it. As a consumer, I only care about the game being good in the end.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It's quite a cycle, but some studios are already trying to cut down on insane dev time. Many are already dropping their own in-house engines to move to Unreal, which I don't actively want, but if it ultimately allows devs to achieve their goals in a shorter amount of time, then go for it. As a consumer, I only care about the game being good in the end.
These kind of tools can be like a double edged sword, they give you a base set of features for free and a set of tools your artists know. On the other hand it's built for multiple platform, so it's kind of a generalist tool, will not take advantage of every feature properly on every platform and if you happen to want to create something beyond the scope of the engine... well it can be more complex than it would otherwise have been, because of all the work arounds you may have to implement.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The character in the trailer definitely has a derp face and I have no idea… whatever

Isn’t it player created avatar? Like that part doesn’t matter.