Fable's Narrative Lead Is Leaving The Project After 'Several Wonderful Years'

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Jump ship everyone!!!

We've got some Fable news to share today, as the game's Narrative Lead, Anna Megill, has announced she will be departing the team this August, stating that "the time feels right for new challenges".

Megill, who previously worked on the likes of Control and even Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, shared the news on social media earlier today, enthusing that Fable remains in very good hands. Here's a look:

"Friends, I have news. In August, I’m stepping away from my role as Narrative Lead on Fable. I’ve had several wonderful years scribbling away in my fairytale cottage, but the time feels right for new challenges.
Working on Fable was a dream come true for me, and it’s wrenching to leave it behind. But Playground has assembled a Heroically talented team, so I know it’s in good hands. I'm excited for what’s coming next—for them and for me."

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
One of the most troubled projects in recent history just claimed another victim. Anna Megill, who was hired as lead writer in 2020 announced she's leaving the studio to take some time off. Since the start of Fable production (~2018), many highly ranked Playground staff left the studio. In Jan 2022, Gavin Raeburn (Playground co-founder) announced his departure. He's since founded a new studio called Lighthouse Games. In Jan 2023, 6 Playgrounders left to found Maverick Games:
  • Mike Brown: Founder & Creative Director at Maverick, was the Creative Director at Playground.
  • Matt Craven: CTO of Maverick Games, was a Technical Director at Playground.
  • Tom Butcher: Executive Producer at Maverick, was Lead Producer at Playground.
  • Ben Penrose: Art Director at Maverick, was the Studio Art Director at Playground.
  • Gareth Harwood: Content Director at Maverick, was the Technical Art Director at Playground.
  • Fraser Strachan: Audio Director at Maverick, held the same role at Playground.

Mass resignations are taking place throughout Xbox studios. The Initiative, initially developers of the Perfect Dark reboot saw over 30 departures in March 2022. These are projects over 5 years in development with very little to show. Also these are reboots of long-dormant Xbox franchises with suspect fan support. At what point does Phil Spencer pull the plug on these floundering projects?

Via GamesRadar:

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Here we go. Not saying a dumpster fire is on the horizon but departures before the release are a sure fire sign.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Weird how we never hear anything good about people whose studios were bought by Xbox yet we always have things like this happening not to long after they're bought.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Fyb7l5WXsAAK2QK

• haha
Reactions: Airbus

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If the lead gameplay designer also bolts then for sure it's Defcon 1. We're at Defcon 3.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Shocked.
Microsoft keeps bamboozled everyone with cgis and crap that probably in concept art stage to gain points

Reactions: Gamernyc78