Facebook caught spying (again) via hacking into 3rd party apps' traffic and reading private info

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
article link

Facebook may have exploited user devices to spy on competitors, documents show​

In 2016, Facebook launched a secret project to acquire, decrypt, transfer, and use private, encrypted in-app analytics from Snapchat, YouTube, and Amazon, according to a new set of unsealed court documents. The Mark Zuckerberg-owned tech empire discussed paying teenagers to install “kits” on their devices, according to plaintiffs.

Facebook was caught using a cyberattack method, “SSL man-in-the-middle,” to intercept and decrypt Snapchat, YouTube, and Amazon encrypted analytics traffic.

Codenamed “Ghostbusters,” the project aimed at intercepting rivals’ encrypted app traffic for analytics despite some internal dissent. This practice is likely in violation of wiretapping laws and “potentially criminal,” advertisers suing Meta claim.

Facebook developed custom technology, so-called “kits,” on both Android and iOS devices that impersonated official servers and decrypted traffic Facebook wasn't authorized to access. The data allowed Facebook to plan competitive moves against Snapchat and other companies.

“We developed “kits” that can be installed on iOS and Android that intercept traffic for specific sub-domains, allowing us to read what would otherwise be encrypted traffic so we can measure in-app usage (i.e., specific actions that people are performing in the app, rather than just overall app visitation). This is a “man-in-the-middle” approach,” the internal email made public in the court document reads.
More at the link

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
What annoys me is samsung forces this app on my phone and I can't delete it unless I root my phone

Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024

The LifeLog program was canceled in January 2004 after criticism concerning the privacy implications of the system.

LifeLog was a project of the Information Processing Techniques Office of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). According to its bid solicitation pamphlet in 2003, it was to be "an ontology-based (sub)system that captures, stores, and makes accessible the flow of one person's experience in and interactions with the world in order to support a broad spectrum of associates/assistants and other system capabilities". The objective of the LifeLog concept was "to be able to trace the 'threads' of an individual's life in terms of events, states, and relationships", and it has the ability to "take in all of a subject's experience, from phone numbers dialed and e-mail messages viewed to every breath taken, step made and place gone".[1]

Goals and capabilities[edit]​

LifeLog aimed to compile a massive electronic database of every activity and relationship a person engages in. This was to include credit card purchases, web sites visited, the content of telephone calls and e-mails sent and received, scans of faxes and postal mail sent and received, instant messages sent and received, books and magazines read, television and radio selections, physical location recorded via wearable GPS sensors, biomedical data captured through wearable sensors. The high level goal of this data logging was to identify "preferences, plans, goals, and other markers of intentionality".[2]

Another of DARPA's goals for LifeLog had a predictive function. It sought to “find meaningful patterns in the timeline, to infer the user’s routines, habits, and relationships with other people, organizations, places, and objects, and to exploit these patterns to ease its task" [2][3]

Generically, the term lifelog or flog is used to describe a storage system that can automatically and persistently record and archive some informational dimension of an object's (object lifelog) or user's (user lifelog) life experience in a particular data category.

News reports in the media described LifeLog as the "diary to end all diaries—a multimedia, digital record of everywhere you go and everything you see, hear, read, say and touch".[4]

According to U.S. government officials, LifeLog is not connected with DARPA's Total Information Awareness.[4]

The LifeLog program was canceled in January 2004 after criticism concerning the privacy implications of the system.[5][6]

FoundedFebruary 4, 2004; 20 years ago in Cambridge, Massachusetts

LifeLog = Facebook

LifeLog ended in January 2004 Facebook started in February 2004

what-an-amazing-coincidence-chris.gif

Last edited: