‘Fairgame$’ needs a total tonal shift and name change

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think this game is rubbing people the wrong way. I don’t think the gameplay itself from what they’ve described sounds bad, a PVPVE heist game is a niche that is not being satisfied anywhere in the multiplayer space. Payday 3 crash and burned due to how badly it launched. I also think a 3rd person game of this genre would hit a little better with console players.

The problem is the tone of it. The cheeky gen z “eat the rich” theming of it coming from a company that was just acquired by Sony™ just comes off very condescending and try hard. I also think it’d be smart of them to separate themselves from the mass grave of failures filled with colorful quirky multiplayer shooters, stuff like Concord that was smothered in its crib and Hyena’s that didn’t even make it to conception.

Pop culture is filled with successful Heist themed movies and tv shows to draw inspiration from.

The Italian Job

happy birthday film GIF

Oceans 11

Brad Pitt GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

See me now

mark ruffalo GIF by Now You See Me 2

The Town

The Town - Nuns busted by a cop [HD] on Make a GIF

Heat

e7879c6e3d8dd0c3f5a3111114d390bc387d285e.gifv

They don’t have the change the actual gameplay, but they should really consider changing the tone and narrative around it. Be like the Sonic movie people and show people you are willing to listen and change things and that alone will buy you a lot of good will.

I want a good heist game but they are doooming it by going with the current idea for it. Shit they can even keep the name ‘Fairgames’ just drop the stupid dollar sign and redesign the logo. I feel like simple focus testing would have told them all of this.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'll shift away from the "MODERN AUDIENCES" vibe at least somewhat.

But also, let's be real...the characters in the Fairgame$ trailer were nowhere near as bad as Concord.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'll shift away from the "MODERN AUDIENCES" vibe at least somewhat.

But also, let's be real...the characters in the Fairgame$ trailer were nowhere near as bad as Concord.

The fact that they aren’t using set “hero characters” is already a much better sign. I also think they are going to have an uphill battle openly talking about GEN AI use with the game. People aren’t trying to hear that shit right now

Reactions: Neversummer

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
The fact that they aren’t using set “hero characters” is already a much better sign. I also think they are going to have an uphill battle openly talking about GEN AI use with the game. People aren’t trying to hear that shit right now
Holy ****, there is absolutely 0 discussion about genAI from anyone who plays videogames today. Fairgames$ will lose ~7 copies sold because so few people care about that stuff.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Agreed. The tone is better to be with something like what you mentioned, Oceans, Italian Job etc.

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
THIS game that heist game with super powers this game is DOA aint no one internet in that genre anymore that shit been dead for awhile and idk why sony does not use it own fps ips holy shit

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I actually thought this was the worst one of the bunch. Worse than concord. Hated that its California college campus eat the rich bs.

Yep. The eat the rich coming from College kids is just cringe.
When I saw it in Japan I was like, ah they actually work there asses off and are tired of corruption, ill give them that

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yep. The eat the rich coming from College kids is just cringe.
When I saw it in Japan I was like, ah they actually work there asses off and are tired of corruption, ill give them that

They need more of a blue collar, crime thriller vibe to it.

That or a classy oceans 11 dirty martini vibe.

What they’re doing now didn’t work for Watchdogs and It didn’t work for Saints Row.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They need more of a blue collar, crime thriller vibe to it.

That or a classy oceans 11 dirty martini vibe.

What they’re doing now didn’t work for Watchdogs and It didn’t work for Saints Row.

What I don't understand is how then can't see the irony in releasing a game for a giant corporation with an eat the rich undertone. So rebel!!!

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
What I don't understand is how then can't see the irony in releasing a game for a giant corporation with an eat the rich undertone. So rebel!!!
They see it. They just don't think their audience cares.

20th Century Fox made Fight Club
Bruce Springsteen made Nebraska
Penguin Random House publishes Robin Hood

People don't care.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Holy ****, there is absolutely 0 discussion about genAI from anyone who plays videogames today. Fairgames$ will lose ~7 copies sold because so few people care about that stuff.
Games take 5 years to make nowadays and gen AI really started taking off publicly in 2021 or 2. It will come, be functionally identical to the Radiant Quests in Skyrim except tied to online servers and people will stop giving a damn.

The real unlock that AI gives is building out static worlds so a human doesn't have to, not chatbot bullshit.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
100%

When Sony bought Haven there was a leak with some concept art. It looked so nice and peaceful with a fantasy setting. I was intrigued by it but then there was the announcement 😬

Fuck the police 😬
Fuck the rich 😬
Fuck the world 😬
*angry black female* 😬

You okay, Jade? 😬

Delet dis 😬😬

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
100%

When Sony bought Haven there was a leak with some concept art. It looked so nice and peaceful with a fantasy setting. I was intrigued by it but then there was the announcement 😬

Fuck the police 😬
Fuck the rich 😬
Fuck the world 😬
*angry black female* 😬

You okay, Jade? 😬

Delet dis 😬😬
AC 1 was almost 20 years ago. She's quite possibly the most over-hyped name in gaming.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
100%

Fuck the police 😬
Fuck the rich 😬
Fuck the world 😬
*angry black female* 😬

You okay, Jade? 😬

Delet dis 😬😬
That's the concept Sony liked. Haven pitched around 6 projects to Connie / Hermen and they greenlighted FairGame$