‘Fairgame$’ needs a total tonal shift and name change

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'll shift away from the "MODERN AUDIENCES" vibe at least somewhat.

But also, let's be real...the characters in the Fairgame$ trailer were nowhere near as bad as Concord.
Agree it should be in the tone of Tom Clancy/R6 more grounded, mature & dark heist pvpve game where you either play as heroes with great military spec ops design or characters you can customize like pubg/division 2.

The characters do look better. The main character w the dark skin has a cute face & cute hair style.

If I was them I would even try adding a solely pve mode like cod zombies or og cod mw3 (2011) survival that was fun asf back in the ps3 day & something that isn’t being capitalized in the market.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
they might need a much needed tone shift to a more serious heist game then the. college student eat the rich game where your fighting each other for the big score and the police
That & also don’t make it $40. Fairgames needs to be free to play to have any chance. Gamers who are playing free to play aren’t going to jump off for the new ip from an unknown studio even if there isn’t much heist game.

Also having big collabs already set that can attract young gamers. Marvel, DC, Syphon Filter, TLOU, Tom Clancy, Breaking bad, The Boys add it all ensure the game is exciting & has cool cosmetic for both weapons & characters & I think they will be fine.

I would have a horizon collab & add a map with robot Dino & skins inspired by the robot Dino same with TLOU have a TLOU Halloween event w clickers replacing the people w the monkey mask etc just spit balling ideas

Have waitress waifu skins & cool dark ski mask military guy skins & your set
520ea270-60cf-4a83-ab14-b8753ea6f089

9aa15895505176b828dd36e80263f13b.jpg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That & also don’t make it $40. Fairgames needs to be free to play to have any chance. Gamers who are playing free to play aren’t going to jump off for the new ip from an unknown studio even if there isn’t much heist game.

Also having big collabs already set that can attract young gamers. Marvel, DC, Syphon Filter, TLOU, Tom Clancy, Breaking bad, The Boys add it all ensure the game is exciting & has cool cosmetic for both weapons & characters & I think they will be fine.

I would have a horizon collab & add a map with robot Dino & skins inspired by the robot Dino same with TLOU have a TLOU Halloween event w clickers replacing the people w the monkey mask etc just spit balling ideas

Have waitress waifu skins & cool dark ski mask military guy skins & your set
520ea270-60cf-4a83-ab14-b8753ea6f089

9aa15895505176b828dd36e80263f13b.jpg
Please no. As cute as the anime maid chick is it doesn't belong in a gritty game, next we'll have $30 Beyonce skins.

I think the flippant anti-capitalist theme would have had potential 5-10 years ago but right now people are far too angry for that message to resonate. They should do a mad max type setting, or robocop. Something dystopian and corpo-punky, but not shittily executed like watchdogs was

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Im calling it - game will be cancelled.
Crazy, but I am actually thinking thr same. If development is far and it's already difficult to steer away from the problems Concord had, Sony might just want to avoid repeating Concord's fiasco and cancel thd game

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Apparently no one has a clue what appealing character design looks like.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Crazy, but I am actually thinking thr same. If development is far and it's already difficult to steer away from the problems Concord had, Sony might just want to avoid repeating Concord's fiasco and cancel thd game
There are most definitely meetings taking place in what should be done to avoid Concord situation. Concords first mistake was some kind of echo chamber, nobody spoke up against what was being made, no feedback was considered - backslaps and high fives in a safe space.

If Fairgame$ opens up the floodgate of feedback, shits going to look very different from the initial showing.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Please no. As cute as the anime maid chick is it doesn't belong in a gritty game, next we'll have $30 Beyonce skins.

I think the flippant anti-capitalist theme would have had potential 5-10 years ago but right now people are far too angry for that message to resonate. They should do a mad max type setting, or robocop. Something dystopian and corpo-punky, but not shittily executed like watchdogs was
You need cosmetics that people will buy & talk about. Look at Rainbow six siege (& I like that game) people used to shit on Rick & Morty skins & halo skins but now when you see talks about cosmetic most people welcome more crazier cosmetics as it’s cool or just brings attention to the game. Same for The finals & the gundam skin & PUBG having crazy collab cosmetics.

If you do grounded boring cosmetic you end up like Xdefiant where players aren’t buying nor are the cosmetics cool enough for people to talk or try the game & buy said cosmetics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
You need cosmetics that people will buy & talk about. Look at Rainbow six siege (& I like that game) people used to shit on Rick & Morty skins & halo skins but now when you see talks about cosmetic most people welcome more crazier cosmetics as it’s cool or just brings attention to the game. Same for The finals & the gundam skin & PUBG having crazy collab cosmetics.

If you do grounded boring cosmetic you end up like Xdefiant where players aren’t buying nor are the cosmetics cool enough for people to talk or try the game & buy said cosmetics.

Thats why i give them credit for the mask idea. Its a good idea, it might not sell like entire skins but a kratos/ghost of Tsushima mask would do pretty good

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
May 24th 2023, Fairgame$ was just revealed and this was the reception
aRMxlQN.png

It should have been complete panic at Haven, trying to figure out what went wrong and how could they fix it. Do you think that happened? Fuck no! Probably swept it under the rug blaming trolls, racists or whatever and everything went on business as usual.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
May 24th 2023, Fairgame$ was just revealed and this was the reception
aRMxlQN.png

It should have been complete panic at Haven, trying to figure out what went wrong and how could they fix it. Do you think that happened? Fuck no! Probably swept it under the rug blaming trolls, racists or whatever and everything went on business as usual.
And that was the result of the growing frustration of traditional PS first party games taking a backseat to GaaS.

Reactions: arvfab

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
And that was the result of the growing frustration of traditional PS first party games taking a backseat to GaaS.
But it's not. That's misplaced logic. The money to make GaaS games came from Sony to Playstation Division to make GaaS. If it wasn't given for GaaS, Sony weren't giving Playstation anything. It's 300m for GaaS or fuck all. Which one do you want?

If the GaaS were successful, the money could keep the higher quality first party games we have. With Concord failing, this will restrict money going to projects in the future and likely no future risks by Playstation due to costs involved. The failure of GaaS will restrict Sony's chance to grow quicker.

It's very short sighted from those celebrating Concord's demise.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
But it's not. That's misplaced logic. The money to make GaaS games came from Sony to Playstation Division to make GaaS. If it wasn't given for GaaS, Sony weren't giving Playstation anything. It's 300m for GaaS or fuck all. Which one do you want?

If the GaaS were successful, the money could keep the higher quality first party games we have. With Concord failing, this will restrict money going to projects in the future and likely no future risks by Playstation due to costs involved. The failure of GaaS will restrict Sony's chance to grow quicker.

It's very short sighted from those celebrating Concord's demise.

I don't agree. If investors think GaaS is the only way to make money and they are proved right with every GaaS PlayStation releases, then they'll want only GaaS and PC day-1 going forward.

They spent 3B for Bungie, that should be their cash-cow for GaaS.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Helldivers sold 13 million. So did Palworld.

Industry is not rejecting gaas. Valorant came in to sweep the spot Concord wanted to occupy on console.

Gaas are the most dominant games in the industry and players are very very thirsty for the next big thing and are showing in huge numbers for every new flavor of the month. Concord was not one they embraced.

Gaas is not one type of game or genre. It is not one type of distribution model. Even single player games can be Gaas if it fits the intentions of the developers. And for some there’s not much to change about how they make games - Street Fighter, GT are always what they were, Destiny is yearly Halo, Monster Hunter Wilds is built on the back of dozens of games in its legacy, etc… so some of these games have also been 20 plus years in the making to get where they are now.

With that said, totally new ideas are needed for the next big thing to take off.

As much as Concord will surely make execs further reevaluate there also going to be looking at why Helldivers sold thru 13 MILLION and while Concord couldn’t sell thru 13 hundred.

I have no reason to believe in Fairgames because the studio hasn’t earned any goodwill. However…. A fun game is a fun game and players will be there if that is true. This should stand above most smaller criticisms about presentation.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I don't agree. If investors think GaaS is the only way to make money and they are proved right with every GaaS PlayStation releases, then they'll want only GaaS and PC day-1 going forward.

They spent 3B for Bungie, that should be their cash-cow for GaaS.
You can disagree all you want but it's an additional revenue stream, not a replacement. The 300m was sanctioned to Playstation by Sony to find more revenue streams. The failure of Concord will lead to Playstation taking less risks and smaller budgeted games (including single player games) as the money they hoped would come from the likes of Concord would be used to increase budgets.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm worried about being forced again to ugly, androginous, uncharismatic woke characters and to have again a bland, generic artstyle and (despite polished) gameplay. I think they have to learn 3 main lessons from Condord:
  1. Stop forcing woke political/religious agenda in Sony games. Let players choose characters they like and stop removing the white, male, heterosexual characters (plus sexy females) as main characters. Stop putting white heterosexual males only as bad guys. Stop the dumb 'aha' scenes where a "diverse" character 'gives a lesson' to a white heterosexual male showing they are more powerful / smarter / more skilled, etc.
  2. Art style, music and some main gameplay mechanic(s) should feel unique and stylish when compared to similar games, as happened in most iconic Sony IPs since the PS1. Parappa, Patapon, Gran Turismo, God of War, Loco Roco, Uncharted, Journey, Destiny, Astro Bot and many other ones share this.
  3. When marketing the game, focus on showing what makes it unique, different and more appealing for the target user than the competition.
But I don't see them leaving the woke / DEI wagon.

So let's hope that at least it has a poweful character editor that allow us to play with whatever body type we want (allowing specially sexy women with femenine, attractive bodies and super jacked males) plus to select the skin and hair color that each player wants.

That would allow the 0.0000000001% of the userbase who identify as cupiosexual two-spirit gender native inuit unicorns to be fine with the game, but also to the over 90% of the Concord genre player base that was ignored by not including white males or sexy women.

That & also don’t make it $40. Fairgames needs to be free to play to have any chance.
No, you guys always talk as if Marathon or Fairgames should be F2P but doesn't make sense because they are AAA games, and many of their direct competition are paid games.

Heist games or extraction shooters like Payday 2, GTAV, Escape from Tarkov, Hunt Showdown, The Division, Deep Rock Galactic plus many other top shooters like Helldivers 2, CoD, Battlefield, Rainbow Six Siege, Doom, Far Cry etc. are paid games.

Paid games are a totally viable option.

Making them F2P implies to force aggresive monetization and retention techniques to make it profitable worsening the game experience and requiring a way bigger userbase to make the games profitable/successful.

Paid games allow them to get the average player ARPU/LTV they need since the player acquires the game (or almost in case of the 40€ games), so they require way less players to get a profit and also don't require to keep them engaged during a very long period of time.

Last edited: