Falcom's The Legend of Heroes Series Has Sold Over 7.5 Million Copies

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its a great series in alot of ways. Trails in the Sky especially.

Some of the things they work with NPC’s having the own lives that you can see progress, is far beyond what the big boys do like Bethesda, Square etc

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Whatever many of these jrpg series release franchise sales numbers it just goes to show how niche they are and why I would be a waste of money for ps to ever buy something like falcom.

Not everything needs to be huge numbers. Just make fans happy and make a bit of money. They don’t even go and buy studios who make huge sales anyway. Want guaranteed sales, go buy Capcom. Monster Hunter and RE will always sell.

So many titles were niche/small before and they were amazing.

Also some were niche/small and then became big. Like Yakuza, Until Dawn, Demons Souls. Now those studios are so much more popular with there titles.

I’d love to have games like Ico, Sly Cooper and Motorstorm back. Will keep us busy until the AAA single player games come. Not every game is gonna sell like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon and thats fine.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Very underrated series, I played a couple of them on PSP and were great. If you like JRPGs, check them.

Let's hope they get more popular in the future.
Yes I've heard gd things about them.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Not everything needs to be huge numbers. Just make fans happy and make a bit of money. They don’t even go and buy studios who make huge sales anyway. Want guaranteed sales, go buy Capcom. Monster Hunter and RE will always sell.

Also some were niche/small and then became big. Like Yakuza, Until Dawn, Demons Souls. Now those studios are so much more popular with there titles.

I’d love to have games like Ico, Sly Cooper and Motorstorm back. Will keep us busy until the AAA single player games come. Not every game is gonna sell like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon and thats fine.
Everything doesn’t but to make sense to a huge publisher like Sony numbers matter. Numbers bring engagement and prestige to your brand.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Well deserved. These are some of the best JRPG any fan of the genre will play. Falcom isn't a large Japanese publisher so these type of sale numbers is good for them.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well deserved. These are some of the best JRPG any fan of the genre will play. Falcom isn't a large Japanese publisher so these type of sale numbers is good for them.
Yeah we don't want a world where these lesser known tutors aren't around, sometimes we need a break from these saturated, open world, realistic games.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Everything doesn’t but to make sense to a huge publisher like Sony numbers matter. Numbers bring engagement and prestige to your brand.
Then they should go for the big studios and publishers and plenty of Gaas... if you want huge numbers. Not Firewall Studios, Vkyrie Entertainment, Savage game studios etc

Atm they have given up on all there small/niche or medium titles in house.
Not saying Falcom is the anwser but inhouse they are not making titles like Ico or Sly Cooper. Or JRPGs.

Falcom make profit ( which is the key) and release a game every year, either Y's or Legend of Heroes. Strong small fanbase, it would boost up the catogue and doesnt cost them billions

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023

I agree with you that not everything needs to be make huge numbers. To be mainstream often mean get overly homogenized . A niche title often can have a very faithful fanbase.
On the other side Falcom titles would deserve a biggest following, but it seems its fanbase is decreasing and soon it could become impossible for Falcom to continue to operate

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I agree with you that not everything needs to be make huge numbers. To be mainstream often mean get overly homogenized . A niche title often can have a very faithful fanbase.
On the other side Falcom titles would deserve a biggest following, but it seems its fanbase is decreasing and soon it could become impossible for Falcom to continue to operate
I agree on all points but Souls games at one point weren't popular either and very niche, it wasn't until localization and it coming to PS3 tht it's popularity began taking off.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I didnt realise it was decreasing. I thought it was the opposite.

Hopefully it picks up, they make great games

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Then they should go for the big studios and publishers and plenty of Gaas... if you want huge numbers. Not Firewall Studios, Vkyrie Entertainment, Savage game studios etc

Atm they have given up on all there small/niche or medium titles in house.
Not saying Falcom is the anwser but inhouse they are not making titles like Ico or Sly Cooper. Or JRPGs.

Falcom make profit ( which is the key) and release a game every year, either Y's or Legend of Heroes. Strong small fanbase, it would boost up the catogue and doesnt cost them billions
Ps hasnt bought firewall studios its fire walk. And the ip they were working on ps has alrdy owned and Firesprite is composed of a large number of ps veterans familiar with os pipeline and how things work. Those studios offer more than falcon. Also there are a finite amount of studios out there worth purchasing a very few with successful gaas games. Ps tried to buy other gaas studios before like leyou but they were outbid by tencent who over paid and several years later had to do layoffs at the studios under leyou. Profit isn’t the key big profit is the key and may and revenue. Us is almost as old as ff but hardly any mainstream or hardcore gamers know it exist. Even lower selling ps exclusives have out sold the entire 35yr old us franchise.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Im sure they will be fine. Hopefully this gen they go up in popularity a level like Yakuza and Persona did last gen
Falcom not going to disappear they've been working with Playstation since they were founded and with the later addition of the switch, and Steam they're fine where they are. No amount of money Microsoft could through at them would change that. All of the Trails Of Titles are intertwined with each other so in order for them to do that they would have to start from the very beginning to do that. Their directors have made it clear as soon as they're done with a game they immediately start on the next one.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ps hasnt bought firewall studios its fire walk. And the ip they were working on ps has alrdy owned and Firesprite is composed of a large number of ps veterans familiar with os pipeline and how things work. Those studios offer more than falcon. Also there are a finite amount of studios out there worth purchasing a very few with successful gaas games. Ps tried to buy other gaas studios before like leyou but they were outbid by tencent who over paid and several years later had to do layoffs at the studios under leyou. Profit isn’t the key big profit is the key and may and revenue. Us is almost as old as ff but hardly any mainstream or hardcore gamers know it exist. Even lower selling ps exclusives have out sold the entire 35yr old us franchise.
Firewall was a typo.
How do you know Firewalk, Savage and Valkyrie offer more? None of them have made any mainstream games either. So who knows.

Im interested by Concord too but no1 knows if its big profit. Its way more of a risk than something they know will sell and has a loyal fanbase like Falcon games. Im not even saying they should buy them but they know it will bring profit in compared to something like Fairgame.

I wasnt taking about Firesprite, ex Liverpool devs.

Profit is the key, big profit isnt guaranteed. Sly Cooper and Infamous didnt rock the world like Ghost of Tsushima did.
Let the smaller budget games happen too.

Like I said, if they want big profit, go buy a big studio/Publisher with proven IPs, instead of wasting time on Firewalk and Haven. Haven’s game looks like generic trash

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki -Farewell O Zemuria- to Add New Character Chronicles Feature — Lets Players View Characters’ Past Stories​

The Chinese outlet Gouhou recently interviewed Toshihiro Kondo, the president of developer Nihon Falcom. They discussed various topics pertaining to the company’s recent releases, such as Ys X Nordics and the upcoming The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki -Farewell O Zemuria-.

One brief exchange revealed a new mechanic that will be implemented in this entry called Character Chronicles. Primarily designed to appeal to new players who aren’t well acquainted with the previous games, this feature will let one view characters’ past stories at any time.

The specifics on how this would work were not elucidated, but this may be akin to the story recaps in other Trails games, except in a far more granular capacity. If this feature is also implemented for NPCs and not just the party members, this could be a clever way to reinforce immersion for the minor characters that some players may have overlooked.

You can view a translation of this question and response below. @Renka_schedule translated portions of the interview into Japanese, while our team’s Ryuji translated that into English. Falcom community member Hansuke also ensured accuracy.

Q. I am aware that many players of the Trails series have been fans for a long time, but is there anything in Kai no Kiseki that’s designed to attract new players?
Kondo: This time, we have prepared a feature called “Character Chronicles,” which allows players to view a character’s past story at any time.

Reactions: GrayWolf323

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Im sure they will be fine. Hopefully this gen they go up in popularity a level like Yakuza and Persona did last gen
Yakuza is still crazy niche
Firewall was a typo.
How do you know Firewalk, Savage and Valkyrie offer more? None of them have made any mainstream games either. So who knows.

Im interested by Concord too but no1 knows if its big profit. Its way more of a risk than something they know will sell and has a loyal fanbase like Falcon games. Im not even saying they should buy them but they know it will bring profit in compared to something like Fairgame.

I wasnt taking about Firesprite, ex Liverpool devs.

Profit is the key, big profit isnt guaranteed. Sly Cooper and Infamous didnt rock the world like Ghost of Tsushima did.
Let the smaller budget games happen too.

Like I said, if they want big profit, go buy a big studio/Publisher with proven IPs, instead of wasting time on Firewalk and Haven. Haven’s game looks like generic trash
based on the pass work those teams have done or the production quality of their current games. Valkyrie has worked on gow2018, gowr and infamous2nd son that’s high quality work. The founders of firewalk worked at bungie, worked destiny and launched one of its best dlcs, savage is a new studio that’s a shot in the dark. Falcon sales are bad. 2dz + games and that’s the best they can do? Infamous2nd son alone is about equal to that. Hzd alone is more than 3x that. Falcon low production values, bad sales, no major prestige awards.