Famitsu 2023 annual — NSW#1 (-15%), PS5#2 (+124%), XBS#3 (−47%) | Zelda TOTK#1, Mario Wonder#2, Pikmin 4#3 (physical only)Highest PS5 sales since 2004

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's not really too far-fetched to speculate on, though. The Japan software charts are always dominated by Switch (and specifically, Nintendo 1P, aside Minecraft and maybe a random Square-Enix game here or there) titles. I personally thought we'd see more PS4/5 titles regularly in the Top 10 after FF XVI's release, at least 2-3 PS titles in Top 10 even if on the lower half of the chart. That's what I expected.

Instead such hasn't really panned out. And yeah, we do have data from the ransomware hack showing digital skew for Japan is lower than many other markets, so even if accounting for F2P usage (which in order to verify, we'd have to get player data statistics for games like Apex Legends or Geshin Impact on console in Japan) that doesn't 100% explain hardware/software discrepancies.

So, are there some portions of PS5s in Japan being exported to other territories in Asia (or markets nearby like Australia or even Russia where IIRC PS5s are not being officially sold due to the war)? Probably. What percentage? Anyone's guess. But it's very likely beyond the margin of error (aka > 3-4%). It sucks that bad faith actors and fanboys have latched onto that idea as an anti-PlayStation narrative, but their stupidity doesn't in itself completely invalidate the theory itself.
1. Why Japan and not another country?
2. If it's to do with currency, are we sure people aren't just importing switch games from Japan thereby inflating the software sales there?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
JP ps5 owners are most likely playing mostly f2p games like genshin and HSR on it, we also got an official slide from Sony a while back pointing out that JP region spends more time on PS+ catalogue games than any other region. With how weak JPY is and how expensive the console is I'm not surprised that the game attach ratio is low and I wouldn't buy into any of the conspiracies about shipping PS5s out of the country. Maybe in 2021 and early 2022, but not now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
JP ps5 owners are most likely playing mostly f2p games like genshin and HSR on it, we also got an official slide from Sony a while back pointing out that JP region spends more time on PS+ catalogue games than any other region. With how weak JPY is and how expensive the console is I'm not surprised that the game attach ratio is low and I wouldn't buy into any of the conspiracies about shipping PS5s out of the country. Maybe in 2021 and early 2022, but not now.
I don't know why PS5 even have a price hike.

The damn thing should be categorized as domestic goods, so why weak JPY is the excuse?

Services, I understood.

I expect the same shit with Nintendo next hardware.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wonder how PS Portal sells over there. I have a feeling it'll positively surprise ppl. I know it was out of stock in alot of places over there just like in the states. Tht doesn't say much though unless we know the stocks allocated.

24 Jun 2022
1. Why Japan and not another country?

Well because of how much cheaper it was to get a PS5 in Japan relative to other countries in the region I'd assume. That and IIRC PS5s in places like China are region-locked, which isn't the case with Japanese PS5s. So that'd make importing from Japan more alluring.

2. If it's to do with currency, are we sure people aren't just importing switch games from Japan thereby inflating the software sales there?

This actually could be the case, and yeah it's never brought up as a point of speculation when there's a chance is likely should. If Japanese PS5s are being exported to some degree, there's a likelihood Japanese Switch physical games are also being exported to some degree.

But that's not part of the anti-PS narrative, so you won't see people like Fiendcode ever mention it. Even if it's within a similar realm of probability.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Well because of how much cheaper it was to get a PS5 in Japan relative to other countries in the region I'd assume. That and IIRC PS5s in places like China are region-locked, which isn't the case with Japanese PS5s. So that'd make importing from Japan more alluring.

This actually could be the case, and yeah it's never brought up as a point of speculation when there's a chance is likely should. If Japanese PS5s are being exported to some degree, there's a likelihood Japanese Switch physical games are also being exported to some degree.

But that's not part of the anti-PS narrative, so you won't see people like Fiendcode ever mention it. Even if it's within a similar realm of probability.
Not just switch games. Switch consoles too. Japan sales are at rock bottom for Nintendo consoles because of all the exporting.

OOOOOOR

Consoles registered as sold in Japan stay in Japan and the PS5 audience there is more into F2P games and spend more on MTX, which is more plausible.

Anyone who repeats the ps5s are being exported en masse line sounds like a flat earther to me.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not just switch games. Switch consoles too. Japan sales are at rock bottom for Nintendo consoles because of all the exporting.

OOOOOOR

Consoles registered as sold in Japan stay in Japan and the PS5 audience there is more into F2P games and spend more on MTX, which is more plausible.

Anyone who repeats the ps5s are being exported en masse line sounds like a flat earther to me.
Yeah tht opinion is really out there lol

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah tht opinion is really out there lol
Nintendolts desperately clinging to the notion that Japan belongs to Nintendo to the point of delusion.

They’re as pathetic as the Xbots who talk about how Xbox has made gains in Japan and the next generation will totally turn things around, in spite of all indications that this is the end of that road, and coming closer faster than anyone predicted.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Almost $3 billion was spent on boxed games and hardware in Japan last year, according to Famitsu's annual report.

The total sales of physical games products amounted to ¥403.8 billion ($2.7 billion) from December 26, 2022 to December 31, 2023 – a 7.8% increase compared to ¥384.6 billion ($2.5 billion) in 2022.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was the best-selling game of the year with 1.9 million boxed copies shifted since it debuted in May.

Super Mario Bros Wonder was close behind in second place with 1.5 million boxed copies sold since its release in October.

Momotaro Dentetsu World: The Earth Spins With Hope saw a surge in sales in December. Since we reported Japan's best-selling boxed games of the year up until December 3 in our annual Year in Numbers report, the Konami title moved up two places ahead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.

Every game in the top ten were for Nintendo Switch, with seven published by Nintendo (Pokémon Scarlet & Violet is published by The Pokémon Company in Japan).

In terms of hardware, Nintendo Switch was once again the best-selling console in Japan with the Nintendo Switch OLED model being the most popular with 2.8 million units sold.

PlayStation 5 came in second at 2.5 million units sold, followed by Xbox Series X|S at 141,712 units sold.

Below are the top ten best-selling boxed games along with their sales totals for December 26, 2022 to December 31, 2023, courtesy of Famitsu:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch, Nintendo) – 1,929,603
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder (Switch, Nintendo) – 1,549,401
  • Pikmin 4 (Switch, Nintendo) – 1,119,027
  • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet (Switch, The Pokémon Company) – 907,432
  • Momotaro Dentetsu World: The Earth Spins with Hope (Switch, Konami) – 795,681
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch, Nintendo) – 617,223
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Switch, Nintendo) – 514,581
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (Switch, Square Enix) – 510,477
  • Splatoon 3 (Switch, Nintendo) – 503,312
  • Super Mario RPG (Switch, Nintendo) – 447,687

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom