• PS5 Digital Edition – 4,586
  • PS4 – 2,086
  • Xbox Series X – 172
  • Xbox Series S – 156
  • New 2DS LL – 43

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
From what I’ve read those SF numbers are in line with what sf5 did on ps4. We don’t know how much software sales digitally now either compared to then. Not spinning anything just giving context.

35k seems to be the ps5 baseline now that stock has been met. I wonder how well the ff16 bundle will do and how many Sony will ship?

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony really should make a huge push on all fronts for console gaming in Japan.

Otherwise many types of games will not be viable in the future and they will possibly lose support from many devs that focus on games aimed at that market primarily.

It needs to be more than just a PS5 console push....it needs to be a cultural movement. Drawing from the history of PlayStation and national pride in being the top product worldwide.

24 Jun 2022
Street fighter has never been that big in Japan. It’s pretty much a western game

That's false; SF2 was MASSIVE in Japan, particularly in the arcades but also on consoles like the Super Famicom.

I'm guessing SFV reception might've hurt SF6 in Japan. Could also just be the game isn't as tuned-in for Japanese gaming tastes. Some fan favorites in Japan like Sakura are missing from the roster, some of the music might be off-putting if it's the same as the Western release (hell some of the songs even grate me, I'm mostly talking things like the main theme and character select theme, etc.)

I also just think maybe the fighting game market in Japan has generally fallen off a lot over the past decade, and become very niche. A lot of fighters used to come to the arcade before console but that started changing drastically with PS4 gen. SFV didn't even get an arcade version until 2019 I think. That was probably how a lot of the more casual fans in Japan accessed the games or were exposed to them, then picking up home versions from there.

Otherwise many types of games will not be viable in the future and they will possibly lose support from many devs that focus on games aimed at that market primarily.

It needs to be more than just a PS5 console push....it needs to be a cultural movement. Drawing from the history of PlayStation and national pride in being the top product worldwide.

Well they need a (real) handheld, or something like a PS4 Portable like I've been saying for a while now. And they need more 1P family-friendly, colorful IP. The Famitsu charts are always dominated by Switch games but VERY specifically, Nintendo's own 1P Switch games. They have a specific style and tone to them that most of Sony's current IP don't aim for.

But that would also require Sony to open up about making more 1P AA software that isn't going for the serious tones or mature stories the God of Wars or TLOUs do. Ironically they have access to characters that could make for that type of software easily, like Spiderman, Astrobot and Sackboy.

From what I’ve read those SF numbers are in line with what sf5 did on ps4. We don’t know how much software sales digitally now either compared to then. Not spinning anything just giving context.

35k seems to be the ps5 baseline now that stock has been met. I wonder how well the ff16 bundle will do and how many Sony will ship?

If 35K is the baseline for PS5 in Japan, assuming this is an 8-year gen and they maintain that for the rest of the gen, they'll easily break 10 million units in the Japanese market.

The bigger question is if software sales, or at least the physical software sales that are being tracked, will improve sooner or later.

Last edited:

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

Without a handheld/mobile console there is nothing to do in the Japanese market.

Reactions: nongkris

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Without a handheld/mobile console there is nothing to do in the Japanese market.
That's the biggest issue but even so the software isn't catering to that market or they've lost many casuals to the switch who has no reason to buy games in the PS ecosystem anymore since they are getting almost the same support from local talent now.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Disagree... I think they can sell 15-20 million consoles. It's not handheld numbers but it's still a big market for console.

Even the 10 million from last gen is a big chunk of sales for a single country, can't just ignore it or throw it away....Xbox would kill for those sales.

Smaller footprint console, mobile games with collectibles exclusive to the console tie in games, more JRPG / Japan focused games and fan-service games / adult games for that market and they could absolutely grow despite declining population.

24 Jun 2022
Disagree... I think they can sell 15-20 million consoles. It's not handheld numbers but it's still a big market for console.

Even the 10 million from last gen is a big chunk of sales for a single country, can't just ignore it or throw it away....Xbox would kill for those sales.

Smaller footprint console, mobile games with collectibles exclusive to the console tie in games, more JRPG / Japan focused games and fan-service games / adult games for that market and they could absolutely grow despite declining population.

Well the question is if Sony will do these things or not. Whatever they do for Japan, they'll want that to also work globally.

They genuinely need a few Nintendo-like games/IP among their first-party, and they have IP with the potential to pull that off. They would just need to cultivate those IP and do meaningful things with them (or again in the case of certain legacy IP).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well the question is if Sony will do these things or not. Whatever they do for Japan, they'll want that to also work globally.

They genuinely need a few Nintendo-like games/IP among their first-party, and they have IP with the potential to pull that off. They would just need to cultivate those IP and do meaningful things with them (or again in the case of certain legacy IP).

I just don't understand why they don't buy Kadokawa completely...it's an absolute no-brainer.

Then work from there.
They could have had Level-5 before they hit it big...

There were so many opportunities but they keep being passive.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
wtf is wrong with japan, no one plays street fighter anymore?
When I was in Japan. I overheard someone say it looks weird…. This might be me because I hate the art style lol.

While going around a handful of shops I noticed some advertisement for it. I think they should of used Ryu to for the posters/props instead of the big forearm steroid dude tbh

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs