Famitsu sales (5/29/23 – 6/4/23)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I just don't understand why they don't buy Kadokawa completely...it's an absolute no-brainer.

Then work from there.
They could have had Level-5 before they hit it big...

There were so many opportunities but they keep being passive.
Maybe they can’t buy Kadokawa because they already own so much anime? This is just a stupid guess.

I agree, Level 5 is another studio they have worked with exclusively multiple times and would work well as a purchase.
They seem to be very passive and slowly slowly losing more and more studios they worked with closely for as either 1st/“2nd” party or 3rd party. You’d think they would be more aggressive after Bethesda, Activision aggressiveness from MS.

Supermassive, Level 5, Quantic Dreams, Ninja Theory, FromSoft, Atlus, Yakuza Team, Ueda, Psyonix and a good few more have all at one point made exclusive games with PS.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I just don't understand why they don't buy Kadokawa completely...it's an absolute no-brainer.

Then work from there.

Japanese business doesn't work that way. Cross-pollinating investments and partnering that way is more common there than mergers or acquisitions are. Why buy the whole company when you can buy 20% and maintain a close partnership that already exists without any disruptions to corporate structures or cultures?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
When I was in Japan. I overheard someone say it looks weird…. This might be me because I hate the art style lol.

While going around a handful of shops I noticed some advertisement for it. I think they should of used Ryu to for the posters/props instead of the big forearm steroid dude tbh
I think it looks awesome. Yeah some of the character designs are a bit weird (manon wtf) but overall they are really memorable. And the gameplay is so fluid.

• fire
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think it looks awesome. Yeah some of the character designs are a bit weird (manon wtf) but overall they are really memorable. And the gameplay is so fluid.
Yeah Im gonna buy it soon. Love SF.
I think it would of been better for the advertisement because its a familiar face. Or at least use 2 characters for advertisement

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Maybe they can’t buy Kadokawa because they already own so much anime? This is just a stupid guess.

I agree, Level 5 is another studio they have worked with exclusively multiple times and would work well as a purchase.
They seem to be very passive and slowly slowly losing more and more studios they worked with closely for as either 1st/“2nd” party or 3rd party. You’d think they would be more aggressive after Bethesda, Activision aggressiveness from MS.

Supermassive, Level 5, Quantic Dreams, Ninja Theory, FromSoft, Atlus, Yakuza Team, Ueda, Psyonix and a good few more have all at one point made exclusive games with PS.
Yup!

Ditching Super Massive was such a boneheaded decision. It's the fact they literally sent out Until Dawn to die and then later admitted the success caught them off guard. You think they'd have contracted them immediately for two more games then buy them.

Ditching Quantic Dreams instead because they didn't want to deal with the in-house drama, another short-sighted decision.

Ninja Theory'would have been to them no what Sony Santa Monica was for Playstation in the PS2 / PS3 era.

Playstation is a company that has forgotten it's roots. The PS4 era money blinded them. That's all they chase now.

24 Jun 2022

Then work from there.

TBF to Sony, buying publishers in the industry didn't really start taking a hold like it was the next big fad until around the start of this generation.

Before that the only other big publisher acquisition (AFAIK) was Sony's buying Psygnosis, but that was way back in '93 before they even had a console out. And Sony Imagesoft wasn't going to cut it as a publishing label, so the Psygnosis purchase was perfectly understandable for the context.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yup!

Ditching Super Massive was such a boneheaded decision. It's the fact they literally sent out Until Dawn to die and then later admitted the success caught them off guard. You think they'd have contracted them immediately for two more games then buy them.

Ditching Quantic Dreams instead because they didn't want to deal with the in-house drama, another short-sighted decision.

Ninja Theory'would have been to them no what Sony Santa Monica was for Playstation in the PS2 / PS3 era.

Playstation is a company that has forgotten it's roots. The PS4 era money blinded them. That's all they chase now.
Ever considered the likelihood that Sony made these decisions based on the studios being dysfunctional messes?

Supermassive worked on Until Dawn for a whole generation without making something shippable, and it only came together when Sony basically took creative control over the project to rescue it.

Quantic Dream is owned and run by David Cage. Enough said there, especially considering the shit that came out about him and how he treated staff.

Ninja Theory can’t make games that aren’t complete technical messes and would have damaged Sony’s reputation for first-party quality. Remember how much negativity there was about the performance of Heavenly Sword?

People need to consider things like that before screeching about Sony not buying them out, and looking at the games those devs put out without Sony involvement shows that Sony did the heavy lifting to get quality out of the devs.

Why buy studios requiring constant babysitting and fights to get the quality you want when you can build new studios or partner with devs who can do better without you having to stand over them and hold their hands to get good work?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ever considered the likelihood that Sony made these decisions based on the studios being dysfunctional messes?

Supermassive worked on Until Dawn for a whole generation without making something shippable, and it only came together when Sony basically took creative control over the project to rescue it.

Quantic Dream is owned and run by David Cage. Enough said there, especially considering the shit that came out about him and how he treated staff.

Ninja Theory can’t make games that aren’t complete technical messes and would have damaged Sony’s reputation for first-party quality. Remember how much negativity there was about the performance of Heavenly Sword?

People need to consider things like that before screeching about Sony not buying them out, and looking at the games those devs put out without Sony involvement shows that Sony did the heavy lifting to get quality out of the devs.

Why buy studios requiring constant babysitting and fights to get the quality you want when you can build new studios or partner with devs who can do better without you having to stand over them and hold their hands to get good work?

I wouldnt call them dyfunctional messes. Well your not too wrong lol. But SuperMassive made a few games last gen for VR and PS4 and came out with the Quarry rcently which was pretty good.

Quantic Dreams is David Cage, but they still made pretty unique games and Detroit was a great title. The controls sucked in Heavy Rain etc but, I like them. I really didnt look up about how he treated staff.
There output isnt too different to Bend And Media Molecule.

Ninja Theory was a small team, but I enjoyed Monkey 2.0 Journey West. And the combat in DMC was great, shame about the design style

I think its something PS needs. Some unique games which The Quarry, Until Dawn is. Same as games like Detroit. Id rather those then Kena.

They’ve already lost so many exclusives from partnerships they use to have. From Miyazaki, Ueda, Sega. They only partnership they’ve kept from last gen is Team Ninja with Ronin. The rest is gone.
PS either needs to expand there studios to make more games, do more 3rd party exclusives or buy studios. Whatever there strategy is, its slow

Disbistayds1

5 Jun 2023
I wouldnt call them dyfunctional messes. Well your not too wrong lol. But SuperMassive made a few games last gen for VR and PS4 and came out with the Quarry rcently which was pretty good.

Quantic Dreams is David Cage, but they still made pretty unique games and Detroit was a great title. The controls sucked in Heavy Rain etc but, I like them. I really didnt look up about how he treated staff.
There output isnt too different to Bend And Media Molecule.

Ninja Theory was a small team, but I enjoyed Monkey 2.0 Journey West. And the combat in DMC was great, shame about the design style

I think its something PS needs. Some unique games which The Quarry, Until Dawn is. Same as games like Detroit. Id rather those then Kena.

They’ve already lost so many exclusives from partnerships they use to have. From Miyazaki, Ueda, Sega. They only partnership they’ve kept from last gen is Team Ninja with Ronin. The rest is gone.
PS either needs to expand there studios to make more games, do more 3rd party exclusives or buy studios. Whatever there strategy is, its slow
They have plenty of exclusives what. This is just again nonsense posts. Stellar blade, rise of the ronin, kotor, silent hill 2, final fantasy 7 rebirth, ff16, ff9 and ff10 remakes apparently. You realize in the ps4 era sony didn’t even get exclusive final fantasy games right. They’ve gotten more third party exclusives than ever before. You’re naming Sega as if they have valuable franchises to Sony, Miyazaki is making different games too. Sony literally has 15% stock in fromsoft and 4% in the head company.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

You mean when Sony wanted SuperMassive to make a PS Move game? And then had them fully remake the game? On a small budget. So they gave them access to Guerilla's Engine and some support. To claim Sony took creative control is a reach.

Heavenly Sword was made on a hardware even many huge 3rd party devs were struggling to work on. A small studio with limited budget struggled on PS3? Even the mighty Naughty Dog struggled with the PS3 as if Drake's Fortune didn't launch with many technical issues too.

Sony still went ahead and money hatted Hellblade for a while.

Quantic Dreams has a lot of issues I will agree. But their absence has left a huge void in their playstation library.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They have plenty of exclusives what. This is just again nonsense posts. Stellar blade, rise of the ronin, kotor, silent hill 2, final fantasy 7 rebirth, ff16, ff9 and ff10 remakes apparently. You realize in the ps4 era sony didn’t even get exclusive final fantasy games right. They’ve gotten more third party exclusives than ever before. You’re naming Sega as if they have valuable franchises to Sony, Miyazaki is making different games too. Sony literally has 15% stock in fromsoft and 4% in the head company.

I mentioned Rise of the Ronin from Ninja Theory. Its like the only relationship theyve kept since PS4.

They havent had more exclusives then every before? I dont thnk they’ve had more than PS4 even let alone PS1/PS2.

PS4 got an exclusive Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It also got Street Fighter 5, Persona 5, Nioh 1-2, Guilty Gear, Yakuza 6, Zero, plus the Remakes, Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni 2, Bloodborne, Unit Dawn, Detroit, Hellblade.

Yes Final Fantasy 16 is an exclusive. Im happy about it. Its pretty big. But we Knew that since 2020. Time for some more stuff. And Im looking forward to FF7Remake too. KOTOR is one of my top 20 games but whos making it? Silent Hill by Blooper…

Heres what we missing so far:

-No Miyazaki Exclusive. Like Demons Souls or Bloodborne

Sega… The franchises are valuable. There not animal crossing or Spiderman but they are still great titles with lots of fans.
-No Persona exclusives unlike PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/
-No Yakuza Exclusive unlike PS2/PS3/PS4

-Quantic Dreams - No exclusive this gen unlike PS3/PS4
-Supermassive - No exclusive unlike PS4

-Ueda - No exclusives from him
-Team Gravity - Gravity Rush

FF9 and FF10 remakes arent real Yet. And who knows if its exclusive. Neither Stranger in Paradise and MGS3 Were exclusive after all the rumours