Famitsu Sales: Week 52+53 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
How PS5 closed the year? Below or above 3 million?
Ended the year around 2.6 million. I was expecting around 2.7 million so they did a good job all things considered. Highest year for PlayStation since 2011.

They'll be down this year but should be interesting by how much..

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
How do you feel the sentiment to PlayStation is there generally?
Biggest "premium" platform, and it is not even close.

People here don't buy PC for big AAA titles, not at all. They buy PS5 only, well at shit ton of people still stucked on PS4 and Sony haven't done a good job convincing them.

They also use it to play F2P games that cannot be played on Nintendo Switch. Ways cheaper than buying those other expensive platforms.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Biggest "premium" platform, and it is not even close.

People here don't buy PC for big AAA titles, not at all.

They also use it to play F2P games that cannot be played on Nintendo Switch. Ways cheaper than buying those other expensive platforms.

I really hope we will see far more than 10 million PlayStation consoles in Japan this generation.

It would be a strong statement on how important Japan is as an audience, the need for more content developed in and for the region and more fan service and presence at TGS.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I really hope we will see far more than 10 million PlayStation consoles in Japan this generation.

It would be a strong statement on how important Japan is as an audience, the need for more content developed in and for the region and more fan service and presence at TGS.
Eh well, PS has been in little conversation here compared to Nintendo since PS3 and especially after PSP era ends. I think 2020 kinda relinquish PS as a platform here. Hope they can keep it.

Sidenote, the "other platform" is basically non-existent, except maybe for some people buying it a generic placeholder for PS5 so I don't know why Phil even trying anymore. They are beaten down 3:1 in US/UK, why talking about Japan when they put absolutely minimal effort here.

• brain

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

That's why they should push the portal harder than they are. It could help a little especially in that market if people can even play Genshin or Apex Mobile in some capacity.... Using those as examples of course.

• they're_right_you_know

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm a little confused, is this saying there 19 million Switch family systems in Japan or 30 million? I think it says the later but that shouldn't be possible. Thats like a 1/1 ratio when you exclude under 3s and over 50s. How the hell did they do it?

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Ps5 sold 2.6 million in 2023 its selling better than Ps3 and Ps4 in Japan