February PS5 sales in Japan were up 457% YOY

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Insane to the membrane.

That is a crazy number of consoles sold in just one month.

God of War to be renamed Samurai of war.

Sucker Punch Samurai GIF

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I’m skeptical of the 30 million consoles forecast for fiscal 23 but I’m less skeptical after seeing the UK, EU and Japan numbers.

24 Jun 2022
It's over 300% growth for all pretty much right?

Yep. At this pace in Japan, even if sales for the next 10 months were 20% less than February's (and I don't see why that would be the case for every single month), they'd add another ~ 3 million in Japan alone this year, on top of what they had for January & February.

This system's not going to have any problems outselling PS4 or even potentially PS3 lifetime in Japanese region. The question should be if it passes PS2 in Japan, or global. I'm still skeptical on it reaching PS2 lifetime numbers in most territories or globally, but it's actually increasingly possible they could, in fact, do it.

EDIT: Just looked it up. PS2 was around 23 million lifetime in Japan. Yeah, PS5 would still need to do a lot to catch that let alone top it. I do think it's possible they could reach Super Famicom numbers (~ 16.4 million), though. Depends on how long the generation goes for.

If Switch 2 has a softer impact in Japan than the first one, that helps PS5 push past Super Famicom and have an easier time getting somewhere in PS2's range.

• brain
Reactions: EN250

EN250

17 Feb 2023
Media Create thread when? I mean all the numbers, list of games and all that, wanna see battle of the century PS4 vs X Series 😂

Also you guys that go to the forum were the mc threads people on reeee are now, tell us what are they saying about this, wanna know their rationale 😛

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yep. At this pace in Japan, even if sales for the next 10 months were 20% less than February's (and I don't see why that would be the case for every single month), they'd add another ~ 3 million in Japan alone this year, on top of what they had for January & February.

This system's not going to have any problems outselling PS4 or even potentially PS3 lifetime in Japanese region. The question should be if it passes PS2 in Japan, or global. I'm still skeptical on it reaching PS2 lifetime numbers in most territories or globally, but it's actually increasingly possible they could, in fact, do it.

EDIT: Just looked it up. PS2 was around 23 million lifetime in Japan. Yeah, PS5 would still need to do a lot to catch that let alone top it. I do think it's possible they could reach Super Famicom numbers (~ 16.4 million), though. Depends on how long the generation goes for.

If Switch 2 has a softer impact in Japan than the first one, that helps PS5 push past Super Famicom and have an easier time getting somewhere in PS2's range.
I think 10m will already be good, 12m great, 15+ would be ridiculous amounts of success. Then again maybe Japan is ready for home consoles again... we'll see if the software library is appealing enough. Need more high quality anime games

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
I think 10m will already be good, 12m great, 15+ would be ridiculous amounts of success. Then again maybe Japan is ready for home consoles again... we'll see if the software library is appealing enough. Need more high quality anime games

Time to revive Gravity Rush and bring a Fate/Grand Order AAA to console.

Media Create thread when? I mean all the numbers, list of games and all that, wanna see battle of the century PS4 vs X Series 😂

Also you guys that go to the forum were the mc threads people on reeee are now, tell us what are they saying about this, wanna know their rationale 😛

Can already predict the spin, but I need that hilarity in my life. I'll go lurk that thread if they have it up.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Time to revive Gravity Rush and bring a Fate/Grand Order AAA to console.

Can already predict the spin, but I need that hilarity in my life. I'll go lurk that thread if they have it up.
Gravity rush is a niche title fam. We need shit with name appeal. Shingeki no Kyoujin, Demon Slayer, Chainsaw man... and none of this low budget filler shit.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Sony should do an exclusive FF16 PS5 bundle, but they prolly won't.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Great news. Doing better than PS3/PS4 is awesome and they havent even started selling games like FF16, New monster hunter and Dragon Quest. Future is looking good and they need to sell as much as they can until Switch 2/Successor comes out.

I still think they need a portable to hit constant software numbers like the Switch though

Man the media/Xbot ambassadors and shills really tried to push that narrative that PS5 wasnt selling well and it wasn’t because stock issues… Unlike there own preferred console

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony should do an exclusive FF16 PS5 bundle, but they prolly won't.
I agree. In fact, Sony+Square should set up demo machines in every wal-mart that grab unsuspecting passers-by and force them, clockwork orange style, to beat the game before they're allowed to leave the electronics section. You will be converted to the church of Final Fantasy... OR ELSE