FF 7 Remake is the highest-selling digital release on the PS Store in Square Enix's history. Plus strengthening ties and partnership with Sony.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No, copies sold doesn't include PS+ downloads. It means copies sold.

PS+ is a game rental subscription. You don't buy a game when you download it from PS+: you lose it if don't renew the subscription until you resubscribe again.

Yes, but the wording is
exceeding more than 7 million shipments and digital sales worldwide
the question is if "shipments" is the PS+ redemptions

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
the question is if "shipments" is the PS+ redemptions
"Shipments" means shipments of physical games sold.

So means "7 million physical and digital sales worldwide", but often they use shipments of physical stuff ("sold in", sold to retailers) instead of units sold to users ("sold trough") because they sell their physical stuff to retailers, not directly to players -with a few exceptions of their own Sony stores and PS Direct, which must be a tiny percent of the total-.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
btw I wonder if the 7 million digital copies sold includes PS+ redemptions. It basically means at least 10 million copies sold overall when including physical, which is pretty decent. I remember in 2020 there was some concern over whether it would sell enough given the nostalgia purists/haters trying to destroy the game's reputation, glad the game's high quality won out.
It's not 7 million digitally copies. 7+ million is the total for physical and digital combined since release.

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Nah, this is just a press release to remind Sony has a deal with Square Enix for the three FFVIIR games and that the 2nd one will release soon.

The 3 games deal was signed before announcing the first one, it isn't something new.

No, copies sold doesn't include PS+ downloads. It means copies sold.

PS+ is a game rental subscription. You don't buy a game when you download it from PS+: you lose it if don't renew the subscription until you resubscribe again.

They just reminded the upcoming release of an exclusive game and also included some related products to market there. Nothing rare or special.

We know of the deal with FF7. That is the point.

With all the rumors from green rats about FF7 coming for Xbox, this debunks that. Sony has a deal for the whole series. There will be no ports while Sony has this partnership.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
Just FYI, this partnership message is with Sony ELECTRONICS, not SIE. They're two different parts of the company AFAIK. Getting tech-related boosts inn FF games with Sony hardware devices doesn't dispel the possibility that SE are strengthening things on the software side with Microsoft, at the potential expense of exclusives for PlayStation.

I wish I could put it differently but it is what it is. What I want to see are Sony Interactive Entertainment and Square-Enix people come out and publicly announce a strengthened partnership between them, hopefully resulting in more stuff beyond FF VII or FF in general. Like maybe bringing back Parasite Eve as a co-developed exclusive, stuff like that. Until then I'm still weary of what unique stuff for PlayStation Square-Enix will bring beyond FF VII Rebirth, that's been officially mentioned publicly.

None of this rumor crap; I'm getting tired of rumors TBH.

24 Jun 2022

With all the rumors from green rats about FF7 coming for Xbox, this debunks that. Sony has a deal for the whole series. There will be no ports while Sony has this partnership.

It likely does debunk those rumors, but IDK if it'd extend to FF XVI, and it doesn't seem to with the spinoffs. Or other SE games, seemingly, i.e Visions of Mana.

I think if your interest in SE games goes beyond mainline FF titles, it's fair to ask what they have cooking that could be unique to PlayStation platforms in particular. Because right now that answer is very muddy and maybe tepid. Personally I would like to see more beyond just mainline Final Fantasy titles, because if it's not with Square-Enix then aside a one-off from Koei-Tecmo there doesn't seem to be anything exclusive to PlayStation from the big usual Japanese 3P going forward.

Which is a bit befuddling IMO. Like I can understand in some cases but not even a follow-up to Bloodborne with From Software? Nothing cooking with Capcom maybe for Onimusha or Dino Crisis, or a Monster Hunter spinoff? Seemingly nothing from Konami outside of SH2 (which is basically farmed out to Bloober Team)? Dunno; hopefully we find out more that gets officially confirmed later in the year. Even confirmation of the rumored AA legacy revivals with SEGA and Bandai-Namco would be welcome on this front.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
FFVII Rebirth is the most important game on PlayStation in 2024 as far as I know and last year FFXVI was the second biggest exclusive game they had.

Sony acquiring SE would be a positive thing as SE leadership sucks and would help tip the balance inside PlayStation studios in favor of more investment in single player games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, there's the deal, which means these games, like FFXIV or FFXVI will have console exclusivity. But maybe these deals weren't for total exclusivity and were instead for timed console exclusivity.

Whatever was signed in the deals, they'll do that. No conversation, negotiation or moneyhat from MS will break the deal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Congrats, but they should've never devalued the game by giving it away as a PS Plus monthly game and then putting it on PS Plus Extra...It'd easily be at 10m sales by now 🤷‍♂️ Hope they don't make the same mistake with Rebirth.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Let's shake hands

F2JUDCMWMAAeJH4.jpg

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Personally, I was never expecting the Final Fantasy VII remake trilogy on Xbox but I do believe that FF XVI gets announced for it at the June showcase as a complete edition with all the DLC and whatnot included.

Regardless, im buying Rebirth day one digitally and completed FF XVI last June when it released so doesn't matter to me what happens with these games in regards to Xbox.