Fighting games still a chore on PS5

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
PS4 sticks don't work, so the super expensive omni I bought at the tail end of SF5 doesn't work on PS5 even though fighting games don't use the stupid PS5 controller features, so they could enable PS4 fight sticks for use on PS5.

Try to play the SF6 demo, stick only works on the PS5 OS, once you're in game your stick is a brick. Awesome!

Ok try to get PS4 version of demo......can't locate anywhere on the PS5 storefront. Had to read around and learn you can only get it by adding to your library from the app or web store on a PC.

Get your shit together here Sony, I should be able to go to the street fighter 6 page and see all relevant available downloads from a pulldown, and I should be able to use a PS4 controller that has 100% button parity with PS5 sticks.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
DS4 should just work on PS5. I find it more comfortable tbh and I got an injury in my left middle finger and I'm pretty sure it was from the way my grip is on the dualsense.

They should actually have an updated DS4 for the PS5 as an option to buy too.

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I mean if you like using controllers that's fine. But a ton of people still enjoy using arcade sticks of some sort, and spend quite a bit of money to have these special controllers basically just for one genre.

After some digging around I found out that officially licensed playstation sticks now do work with PS5 games, but ones like the Etokki Omni still does not work. I don't quite understand why to be honest, but I'm just saying it would be really nice if they could figure out a software solution here to let you use any fight stick that was compatible with PS4 on a PS5.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Check out the Brook Wing controller adapters. At one point they were letting me use PS4 pad for XSX. Should work for PS4 pads and sticks?

• Informative
Reactions: Nym

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS4 sticks don't work, so the super expensive omni I bought at the tail end of SF5 doesn't work on PS5 even though fighting games don't use the stupid PS5 controller features, so they could enable PS4 fight sticks for use on PS5.

Try to play the SF6 demo, stick only works on the PS5 OS, once you're in game your stick is a brick. Awesome!

Ok try to get PS4 version of demo......can't locate anywhere on the PS5 storefront. Had to read around and learn you can only get it by adding to your library from the app or web store on a PC.

Get your shit together here Sony, I should be able to go to the street fighter 6 page and see all relevant available downloads from a pulldown, and I should be able to use a PS4 controller that has 100% button parity with PS5 sticks.

The issue is more than likely firmware related and only the manufacturer of the stick can fix that, not Sony. Think of it like when a new macOS or Windows is released and some peripherals stop working (in the grand scheme of things).

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
The issue is more than likely firmware related and only the manufacturer of the stick can fix that, not Sony. Think of it like when a new macOS or Windows is released and some peripherals stop working (in the grand scheme of things).

Whatever the cause, it's beyond retarded that a controller that only has buttons which exist on the playstation controller cannot simply be forced to work. It's the same thing with using a DS4 for PS5 games. It's literally the same goddamn controller minus rumble shit I don't want and the game I'm trying to play doesn't use, but the console tells me it can't figure out what to do with a PS4 controller. Figure it out.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Whatever the cause, it's beyond retarded that a controller that only has buttons which exist on the playstation controller cannot simply be forced to work. It's the same thing with using a DS4 for PS5 games. It's literally the same goddamn controller minus rumble shit I don't want and the game I'm trying to play doesn't use, but the console tells me it can't figure out what to do with a PS4 controller. Figure it out.

Not the same controller minus rumble, but the DS4 works on the PS5 for PS4 games, so what's the problem? There was for sure a change in the actual firmware/software for the DS since its not just rumble, but also adaptative triggers.

As for "whatever the cause", well, you can't blame Sony for not making a piece of hardware compatible with their software. You should blame the manufacturer of the hardware piece.

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Not the same controller minus rumble, but the DS4 works on the PS5 for PS4 games, so what's the problem?

There is zero good reason to not let me use a DS4 controller for any PS5 game. The PS5 controller features are entirely able to be disabled, which is how I always play, so basically the two controllers are functionally the exact same input device with the exact same names for all the exact same buttons.

"We can't provide you next gen controller features (even though you might not want them and are able to disable them) so that's why you can't use your DS4" seems like a really shitty way to simply prevent controller re-use and push dual senses tbh.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There is zero good reason to not let me use a DS4 controller for any PS5 game. The PS5 controller features are entirely able to be disabled, which is how I always play, so basically the two controllers are functionally the exact same input device with the exact same names for all the exact same buttons.

Sony is not preventing that, the manufacturer for the controller is. You not understanding that is not my problem.

"We can't provide you next gen controller features (even though you might not want them and are able to disable them) so that's why you can't use your DS4" seems like a really shitty way to simply prevent controller re-use and push dual senses tbh.

The controllers are fundamentally different. You being able to disable dualsense features does not mean the dualsense firmware is remotely similar to the Dualshock 4 one. You're out of your depth.

Reactions: Yurinka
OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Why is a dual shock 4 controller not able to be played on a PS5 for PS5 games? Because of PS5 controller features? Like you're just saying "uh they are different so it can't work" Bullshit tell me why, they have 100% button parity except for features which are superfluous for the vast majority of games, hence your ability to disable it all entirely. A dual shock 4 should work for every game on PS5, not hearing any reason why it can't other than "they didn't make it work", and if you're telling me this is an unsolvable problem, I don't believe you.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
DS4 should just work on PS5. I find it more comfortable tbh and I got an injury in my left middle finger and I'm pretty sure it was from the way my grip is on the dualsense.

They should actually have an updated DS4 for the PS5 as an option to buy too.
I'm happy to learn that I am not the only one that feels this way. I loved the DS4, it just "fits" right in my hands.

• Shake
Reactions: Nym and Bryank75

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
Only one Fightpad works on PS5 and that's my issue as I don't use sticks even though I have one.

Reactions: Nym