Final Fantasy 16 - PlayStation 5 - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

• Loading times : Less Than 8s
  • Performance Mode: 1440p/60fps : Performance mode still drops below 40fps in some areas
  • Quality Mode: 2160p/30fps : Quality mode resolution can drop to 1080p in certain areas

Final Fantasy 16 is a beautifully crafted, visually stunning series entry that arrives with gamers in a polished, bug-free state. John takes us through what makes this game so compelling in terms of its visuals, audio, environments and characters, plus there's everything you need to know about quality and performance modes in terms of image quality, frame-rates and everything else. Also: Square-Enix has indeed delivered a day one patch, and we've got analysis on whether it improves performance compared to the recently released demo.

00:00 - Introduction
02:00 - The New Generation
03:58 - Characters and Cutscenes
13:14 - The Environments of Final Fantasy 16
16:42 - Grape Analysis
17:51 - Shadows, Particles and Water Effects
21:10 - Performance Testing - Frame-rate and Image Quality
28:19 - Loading Times
29:11 - The Sound and Ending

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Do they recommend 30 or 60? I have no VRR.

Demo at performance mode felt just fine to me. But if I just started with quality mode I probably wouldn't have minded it either.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Hoping they patch in a stable 60 fps option. I don't really care for resolution, I just want fluid motion at all times on my OLED TV.

It’s rare that I stick to 30fps over performance because usually the delivery of performance modes in the games I’ve enjoyed have not been as half-assed as that demo.

I’ll give it a go myself on the launch patch to see how that feels but if it’s like the demo still I’m going with graphics mode… and that’s kinda lame

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do they recommend 30 or 60? I have no VRR.

Demo at performance mode felt just fine to me. But if I just started with quality mode I probably wouldn't have minded it either.
After the Demo I'm going with 30fps... I did not even try the 60fps mode after see how good the 30fps mode was.
Said that most people that played 60fps mode in the demo said the performance is not there.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW the performance mode is still bad with patch.

Unfortunately, performance mode delivers noticeably poor image quality throughout and also suffers from an unstable frame-rate. This was first noticed in the demo, and reappears in the full game even with the relatively small 300MB day one patch installed. In side by side tests, any improvement is negligible, with regular dips below 60fps and even below 48fps - so you're falling out of the PS5's 48Hz VRR window.

In that point Square Enix should had implemented LFC for these with 120Hz TVs.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
His complaints about cutscene quality vs in-game lit nonsense npc chatter is absolutely fucking hilarious. Welcome to like every rpg game ever bruh.

Then goes on to say how much he loves motion blur….

🤣

(They got some great footage in this tho)

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Apparently in performance mode, it runs decent in combat but drops off during exploration. Here's hoping the PS5pro rumors are true for those who care.
They should make the framerate mode a real 60fps target and lower settings like they do for combat at all times

Reactions: Nhomnhom

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This guy is working over time to normalize 30fps, it's very pathetic and annoying. Xbox releases 2 30fps games and suddenly 30fps is the norm that everyone needs to accept ? Even though we've had countless games with 60-120fps, and even 3 Insomniac having 3 games at 100~ FPS WITH raytracing enabled. I wish this guy would stop being dishonest, he's giving developers a pass to be lazy.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This guy is working over time to normalize 30fps, it's very pathetic and annoying. Xbox releases 2 30fps games and suddenly 30fps is the norm that everyone needs to accept ? Even though we've had countless games with 60-120fps, and even 3 Insomniac having 3 games at 100~ FPS WITH raytracing enabled. I wish this guy would stop being dishonest, he's giving developers a pass to be lazy.

Digital foundry have weird agenda

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Remember when all they talked about was VRR? Now suddenly VRR doesn't do it anymore for them and the framerate looks well withing VRR range.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They said plenty of times about it. Like gave wins on VRR alone when PS5 ran better.

Now, they like, What is VRR?
The bias is pretty obvious, they are always covering for Xbox and pushing the angles that favors Xbox.

Imagine how much they would be shitting on PS5 if it was the 12TF console having a hard time against a 10TF console.

If Xbox was the one with haptics and adaptive triggers they would bring it up a lot more as well.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The bias is pretty obvious, they are always covering for Xbox and pushing the angles that favors Xbox.

Imagine how much they would be shitting on PS5 if it was the 12TF console having a hard time against a 10TF console.

If Xbox was the one with haptics and adaptive triggers they would bring it up a lot more as well.
Not too long ago (well sometime in the current gen) they were saying that replaying games at a higher frame rate was transformative in some cases. Now they want to sell us "smooth" sub 30fps slide shows again.

If this game was PS5 exclusive it would be rightfully panned for this deficiency.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Helios

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I knew I wasn't crazy in the demo thread for saying this game looked blurry as hell. It's because this game is using fucking FSR 1 which is old ass tech. When crisp ass FSR 2 is right there! Smh, that and the low res motion blur and lack of graphics settings means that the inevitable PC release will look miles better once released. Playstation players getting the short end of the stick yet again. Absolutely no reason FSR 1 should be used in 2023.

I would say from an image quality and graphics standpoint FF7 remake actually looks better than this game. Besides the blurriness I'm also seeing a low of low res textures, aliasing, and missing shadows which are all my pet peeves

Last edited: