Final Fantasy 16 won’t be delayed ‘unless a meteor falls on Japan’ | PC Version could come eventually after six months on PS5

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
FFXVI_MediaKit_07__1_.0.jpg

Final Fantasy 16 will be released on PlayStation 5 on June 22, and with just a few months left until the action-focused role-playing game’s arrival, producer Naoki Yoshida feels confident about that date.

“I know Final Fantasy games can get delayed at the last minute,” Yoshida said in translated comments at a press event for Final Fantasy 16 held in New York earlier this month, but “unless a meteor falls on Japan, there will be no delay.”

While Yoshida didn’t outright name the other Final Fantasy games he was referring to, it was an oblique reference to the most recent major mainline entries in the series: Final Fantasy 15 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Back in 2016, Square Enix announced just six weeks before Final Fantasy 15’s intended launch, that it was delaying the game another two months. Game director Hajime Tabata apologized for the delay, which Square Enix chalked up to a need for polish. The situation with Final Fantasy 7 Remake was similar; in early 2020, Square Enix delayed the remake another seven weeks after committing to a release date.

Those delays are likely why Square Enix never offered a hard release date for Final Fantasy 16 for so long. The publisher finally locked down the game’s June release date in December at The Game Awards.

On The PC Version, he writes:

First of all, it is true that Final Fantasy XVI is a six-month limited time exclusive on the PS5 platform,” he told the Japanese PlayStation Blog (translated by Google). “However, it is a completely different story that the PC version will be released in half a year. I will make it clear, but the PC version will not come out in half a year. This is because we spent a lot of time and money optimizing the PS5 platform to deliver the best gaming experience. Of course, I would like to release a PC version at some point so that everyone can play as many games as possible. However, even if we start optimizing the PC version after the PS5 version comes out, we won’t be able to optimize it in half a year, so it won’t come out in a short span of half a year. I would like to release it eventually, and I think I will, but I am not at the stage where I can say when.” First of all, I would be happy if you could play the PS5 version, which I made with the thought of being the best game in the world. If the PC version comes out in half a year, I can quit the company (laughs). Please don’t say, ‘I won’t buy the PS5 version because the PC version will be released in half a year’.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are there concern with delay?

BTW he literally says it won’t come to PC in half a year after PS5.
The thread title feels like it can come in half a year.

We are looking here at a year or more for PC release.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
However, even if we start optimizing the PC version after the PS5 version comes out, we won’t be able to optimize it in half a year, so it won’t come out in a short span of half a year. I would like to release it eventually, and I think I will, but I am not at the stage where I can say when.” First of all, I would be happy if you could play the PS5 version, which I made with the thought of being the best game in the world. If the PC version comes out in half a year, I can quit the company (laughs). Please don’t say, ‘I won’t buy the PS5 version because the PC version will be released in half a year’

Ouch. Sounds like a very long wait if it ever comes at all. Poor PC players! I feel sorry for you!

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The fact hes talking about a PC version at all on the PS Blog of all places lends credence to me that there is definetly something going on between sony and square. Why would sony allow him to even mention a pc port on their blog, a game they paid money for exclusivity, if they also werent going to get something out of it too? Maybe they just dont want to offend him so they let him say what he wants? Doubtful.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
"We're finishing the PS5 version first, so people will buy that version instead of just waiting 6 months for the superior PC version"

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The fact hes talking about a PC version at all on the PS Blog of all places lends credence to me that there is definetly something going on between sony and square. Why would sony allow him to even mention a pc port on their blog, a game they paid money for exclusivity, if they also werent going to get something out of it too? Maybe they just dont want to offend him so they let him say what he wants? Doubtful.
PC seems to be an increasingly large part of Sony's strategy unfortunately, though this may also be a response to those who whine about a "lack of transparency" when it comes to PlayStation timed exclusives.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
PC seems to be an increasingly large part of Sony's strategy unfortunately, though this may also be a response to those who whine about a "lack of transparency" when it comes to PlayStation timed exclusives.
How would a third party game going to PC be beneficial to sony...unless its not actually third party? Who is this large swath of people demanding transparency from square about pc ports? Xbox fans?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Or they haven’t paid a cent for the exclusive and don’t censor the devs they interview on the blog…