Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi calls Final Fantasy XVI 'the ultimate fantasy "FINAL FANTASY"' after completing his playthrough

Do you agree with Sagakuchi?

• Total voters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't read Japanese maybe @historia can help 😁
I'm not pretty good but the meaning seems to be a bit off.
How it is translatated (well it can be translated by that way seems to not make sense and I don't think he could say something like that).

BTW he shared in English too... that goest agains the translation of people are using.

Edit - Looking a the words in the dictionary he seems to be trying to play words that makes it even harder to translate.
究極の幻想 means final fantasy.
He seems to be saying Final fantasy was [FINAL FANTASY]... like the game was a Final Fantasy... in reply to the debate that it wansn't.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Don’t agree at all.

Great game but Sakaguchi FFs were the ultimate Final Fantasies.

FF6 to FF10 was the pinnacle.

FF7 being the best with FF10 second.

Reactions: arvfab

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Don’t agree at all.

Great game but Sakaguchi FFs were the ultimate Final Fantasies.

FF6 to FF10 was the pinnacle.

FF7 being the best with FF10 second.
He is not saying I guess this is the ultimate final fantasy.
Just that this is a final fantasy.

Think like it is a true Final Fantasy game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't agree, i still think FF7/R is better, tactics and 6 are also arguably better. That said it has the highest highs of all the games so... from that perspective, maybe he's right

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
He is not saying I guess this is the ultimate final fantasy.
Just that this is a final fantasy.

Think like it is a true Final Fantasy game.

FF16 Story and characters is definitely up there with the best.

The lack of challenge and RPG elements were a letdown.

Game felt like it was made for casuals in mind. Just like FF15.

If this game had the challenge, exploration and RPG elements of past games it would be Top 3 FF games for me.

Reactions: MaxParrish
OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Edit - Looking a the words in the dictionary he seems to be trying to play words that makes it even harder to translate.
He seems to be saying Final fantasy was [FINAL FANTASY].
I'm looking at my dictionary and he's saying Clive is the sexiest protagonist 🤭

Screenshot_20230814_153633_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Hard disagree. it lacks some of the basic RPG elements other FF games had for decades. It's a fun action game that could use a lot of combat variety but lacks in basic FF RPG elements.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I'm not pretty good but the meaning seems to be a bit off.
How it is translatated (well it can be translated by that way seems to not make sense and I don't think he could say something like that).

BTW he shared in English too... that goest agains the translation of people are using.

Edit - Looking a the words in the dictionary he seems to be trying to play words that makes it even harder to translate
He seems to be saying Final fantasy was [FINAL FANTASY]... like the game was a Final Fantasy... in reply to the debate that it wansn't.

Think of it like this, "that was the ultimate fantasy, the "Final Fantasy".

究極 doesn't really mean final or last, more the like best form of something.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Hard disagree. it lacks some of the basic RPG elements other FF games had for decades. It's a fun action game that could use a lot of combat variety but lacks in basic FF RPG elements.

Crazy to think if it had those basic RPG elements, more challenge/strategy and more exploration I would comfortably say FF16 is Top 3 Final Fantasy games ever.

Surprising really since it was made by the FF14 team.

Game felt like it was made by someone like Platinum Games.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Crazy to think if it had those basic RPG elements, more challenge/strategy and more exploration I would comfortably say FF16 is Top 3 Final Fantasy games ever.

Surprising really since it was made by the FF14 team.

Game felt like it was made by someone like Platinum Games.
Well Platinum helped with the combat... So go figure

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

EDMIX

I'll always love the FF IP, but I don't know if I can say FFXVI is the "ultimate Final Fantasy".

I love the combat in XVI, I love the story, I love the music, I love the core design of it overall.....but it has some issues that are more deeply cultural or maybe based on the company or something.

1. This game likely should have just been fully open world to connect those ideas a bit better. You can still fast travel by choice sure, but it would make more sense to connect them literally so a better reason exist to actually have a ship, boat, chocoboo etc.
2. The issue with the NPC's moving was so fucking obvious, it feels like more then half of the game is Clive being told someone will meet him here or there and its like BITCH, you RIGHT HERE LOL! WE can go together, after the 8th or 10th time of this happening it was clear this shit had nothing to do with the story and some odd technical issue they are trying to have the user ignore. You lose something here, something about teamwork, working together, building bonds etc is completely lost and you feel this great disconnect. We had a mission to collect (spolier...an item on a beach, won't go into details) and one of the characters was like "i'll collect some here" and just stood there in the same fucking spot while Clive just collected all the shit and Square is like "ok bro, just pretend he did it" lol

This isn't a fucking book, this isn't a visual novel, this is a 3D modeled fucking video game, there is no excuse to not have the person animated to walk around to show they are doing something.

3. The facial animations are so bad, its like their faces are frozen or stiff or in some doll state, it hurts soooooo much of the narrative as you clearly see another team could have done a better job showing those faces expressing all sorts of emotions.

I still enjoy the game, but its not without criticism.