Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is exclusive to PS5 until at least May 29th, 2024 News & Announcements

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
That doesn’t mean it’ll be on other platforms by that exact date. People believing that are going to be disappointed.

In any case, I expect an update that corrects this. 3 months is way too short to even brother doing a deal. Even if it’s just a time frame window to when Square Enix can start to port somewhere else.

We’ve seen this mistake with Sony’s trailers before.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
We don’t know. Could be a mistake or other reasons not related to other platforms.

24 Jun 2022
I really just hope it means going to Switch 2 and PC and never Xbox. Xbox clowns deserve nothing after the non stop hate they've been giving to FF16.

It'll 100% mean an Xbox version. Mascot Spencer™ might be a clown, but he's obviously getting things done for Xbox when it comes to Japanese game support.

We don’t know. Could be a mistake or other reasons not related to other platforms.

I saw your response in the Sony Acquisitions thread but I just have to say: just use Occam's Razor. Often the simplest explanation is the correct one.

You go from 2+ year exclusivity for VII Remake Part 1, to six months for XVI. And now just three months for VII Rebirth (Part 2)? That's a shrinking rate, a downward trajectory if you will.

Now yes it could be Sony simply decided not to pay for longer exclusivity on Rebirth, but with all that talk saying FF was so important to them and they want to strongly associate the IP with PS, decreasing exclusivity windows don't reflect that sentiment IMO. At this rate, Part 3 will be a 1-week timed exclusive. Early Access for PlayStation owners if they simply can't wait seven days and want to pay $35 extra--

Oh wait, doesn't that sound like a certain other platform? 🤔...

That doesn’t mean it’ll be on other platforms by that exact date. People believing that are going to be disappointed.

In any case, I expect an update that corrects this. 3 months is way too short to even brother doing a deal. Even if it’s just a time frame window to when Square Enix can start to port somewhere else.

We’ve seen this mistake with Sony’s trailers before.

The only similar one I can think of is Demon's Souls Remake. Which I'm starting to think, wasn't really a "mistake" as in they never planned a PC port around that time. But a mistake after-the-fact, in realizing a port of that in addition to everything else that WAS getting a port, would create an optics situation of devaluing the console too quickly, particularly in the early years where you really need the enthusiasts to have reasons to get hyped and buy the console.

Something exclusives have traditionally done for decades, and for good reason: it works. But when you dilute the value of those exclusives, you dilute the effectiveness of that purpose. IMO.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It'll 100% mean an Xbox version. Mascot Spencer™ might be a clown, but he's obviously getting things done for Xbox when it comes to Japanese game support.

I saw your response in the Sony Acquisitions thread but I just have to say: just use Occam's Razor. Often the simplest explanation is the correct one.

You go from 2+ year exclusivity for VII Remake Part 1, to six months for XVI. And now just three months for VII Rebirth (Part 2)? That's a shrinking rate, a downward trajectory if you will.

Now yes it could be Sony simply decided not to pay for longer exclusivity on Rebirth, but with all that talk saying FF was so important to them and they want to strongly associate the IP with PS, decreasing exclusivity windows don't reflect that sentiment IMO. At this rate, Part 3 will be a 1-week timed exclusive. Early Access for PlayStation owners if they simply can't wait seven days and want to pay $35 extra--

Oh wait, doesn't that sound like a certain other platform? 🤔...

The only similar one I can think of is Demon's Souls Remake. Which I'm starting to think, wasn't really a "mistake" as in they never planned a PC port around that time. But a mistake after-the-fact, in realizing a port of that in addition to everything else that WAS getting a port, would create an optics situation of devaluing the console too quickly, particularly in the early years where you really need the enthusiasts to have reasons to get hyped and buy the console.

Something exclusives have traditionally done for decades, and for good reason: it works. But when you dilute the value of those exclusives, you dilute the effectiveness of that purpose. IMO.
So putting HZD, spider-man, god of war, ratchet and clank, and tlou on PC wasn't devaluing the platform, it was Demons Souls all along?

Bro you say use Occams Razor when you yourself are always doing these chicken little scenarios. just because a 3 month exclusivity window? Come on dude.

24 Jun 2022
So putting HZD, spider-man, god of war, ratchet and clank, and tlou on PC wasn't devaluing the platform, it was Demons Souls all along?

Bro you say use Occams Razor when you yourself are always doing these chicken little scenarios. just because a 3 month exclusivity window? Come on dude.

No, those games chipped away at valuation of the PlayStation platform as well. But, those were years-long windows in-between console and PC release. HZD was a 3-year window. Spiderman was a 4-year window, and was also within a year of the sequel, Spiderman 2, coming exclusively to PS5. AKA an actual, ideal window between console and PC for these types of games, IMHO.

I'm just noticing the slippery slope Sony are going into, and have some concerns because I don't want to see PlayStation end up like Xbox. A console platform with little to no unique identity, where console owners are second-class citizens in the ecosystem, and are paypigs to help front others elsewhere with better benefits at a cheaper price by virtue of getting the content later. Microsoft didn't just suddenly land into the identity crisis they have today, back in 2015. It took multiple years and a gradual onset of decline for the effects to build up, and you see where the Xbox brand is at today. A shell of its former heights.

Yes, a PlayStation brand going into a similar decline would still be doing better than Xbox is today, but that's only by virtue of the heights it achieved in its prime. And unlike Microsoft, Sony can't afford to have a PlayStation around with that type of decline, because PlayStation means (or should mean) much more to them and their bottom line than Xbox does to Microsoft's. Isn't the fact that Sony are seemingly taking more notes from Microsoft's failing playbook, than Nintendo's successful one, even a bit concerning to you?

Like I said, let's see what happens at TGS later this week regarding any Square-Enix announcements and Xbox/Game Pass. Then we can come back and see if Sony are getting squeezed out of that 'best-friend' spot by Microsoft or not. And I'm not saying any of this because it's something I approve; Microsoft's true colors got exposed in that FTC hearing and their intentions in this business in trying to "compete" are nothing but underhanded, contradictory, vile. They will use their money in a multitude of ways to try "spending Sony out of business" but it's also getting increasingly difficult to be too fretted over that happening when Sony seem to be losing ground securing meaningful 3P content exclusive to their platform for meaningful periods of time. Or, expediating the release of their marquee games to outside platforms while ringing console owners of more and more money while offering little to justify that escalation in wallet extraction.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
But didnt some of you guys panic over a tweet an xbox fan made?
Yall made it sound like its officially coming to Gamepass 3 months after its released.

Same FUD and run when a couple of people said the Naughty Dog Factions game has been cancelled without any evidence….

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge