FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH preview and story video. |UP| Special stream on 1/27/24.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH preview: Get a closer look at Cait Sith, Yuffie, Elena and more!​

We reveal some new areas of the game, showcase some of Yuffie and Cait Sith’s amazing combat abilities and much more!
Monday 15 January 2024 09:00

By Duncan Heaney
Tags: Final Fantasy,FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

EN_01_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Character-kpdmcslh1.jpeg

It’s the start of a New Year, and what better way to celebrate than with a new look at one of 2024’s most exciting games!
Our brand new trailer takes you deeper into the game to offer another tantalizing tease of what to expect. Take a look:

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH launches for PS5 on February 29, 2024 and is set to be a truly epic adventure. Here’s just a taste of some of the places you’ll get to explore… and some of the compelling characters you’ll meet along the way.

Regions of the World​

The world of FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is comprised of multiple regions. Each boasts unique environments for you to explore. Let's take a look at a couple now:

Starboard Junon​

Screenshot of Starboard Junon from FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

An urban residential zone within the fortified metropolis overlooking the ocean. In addition to housing for Shinra personnel, high-end boutiques and restaurants line its streets.
Currently, preparations are underway here for Rufus Shinra’s presidential inauguration parade.

Shinra-8​

Screenshot of Shinra-8 in FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

A Shinra cruise ship that ferries travelers between the planet’s eastern and western continents. After departing the port of Junon, it heads for the resort town of Costa del Sol.
As part of the on-board entertainment, the ship plays host to a Queen’s Blood tournament.

New Characters: Cait Sith & Moogle​

Cait Sith render

This gregarious cat fights from atop his sturdy moogle mount, who provides both mobility and support during battle.
Screenshot of Cait Sith in FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

When Cait’s not duking it out, his high-tech helper aids him in hacking computer systems and telling fortunes.

New Characters: Elena​

Elena render

• Voice Actor: Piper Reese
Though she may be a rookie, she’s as skilled with her fists and a gun as anyone else in the Turks unit of Shinra’s General Affairs Division.
Screenshot of Elena from FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

She and her partner Rude are tasked with pursuing the black-robed figures, which she is more than happy to do if it means being assigned a mission with Tseng.

New Characters: Captain Titov​

Captain Titov render

• Voice Actor: Jonathan Lipow
The captain of the Shinra-8, responsible for overseeing safe passage for all who travel between Junon and Costa del Sol. He’s earned a sterling reputation among his crew, thanks to his unerring devotion to his duties.
Screenshot of Captain Titov from FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH

This is most evident during the various festivities held aboard his vessel, which he personally - and passionately - emcees.

Combat​

Next up, let's take a look at what some of the new additions to the party can do in battle!

Yuffie​

EN_05_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-2bnf0veiz.jpeg

Basic Attacks: Yuffie quickly strikes enemies with a large throwing star. The speed with which she attacks allows you to charge ATB faster than most.
While her throwing star is out, Yuffie can unleash magic-infused "ninjutsu" to punish foes.
EN_07_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-fg7ubvmsr.jpeg

Abilities: Yuffie excels at chaining her attacks together and switching their elemental affinity.
Her Doppelgänger ability allows her to attack in tandem with her clone, enabling her to exploit enemies’ weaknesses even more effectively.
EN_06_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-8ize7011h.jpeg

Unique ability: Hurling her throwing star at enemies allows Yuffie to keep up the pressure from adistance.
While her throwing star’s out, she can also pelt her foes with ninjutsu. Whatever element her target’s weak against, Yuffie has a ninjutsu spell for it.

Cait Sith​

EN_02_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-5h2ptu7u7.jpeg

Basic attacks: Cait Sith darts about the battlefield with the agility of an acrobat (or perhaps a cat?), assailing enemies from every side.
When he wants to switch things up, he brings out his moogle pal, changing his attacks.
EN_04_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-tpqnv3jbh.jpeg

Abilities: These Cait Sith-exclusive moves can hurt enemies or buff allies, but most rely on luck in some way.
“Let's Ride!,” however, allows him to hop on his moogle, enhancing his regular attacks and his unique abilities.
EN_03_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-sded604ju.jpeg

Unique Abilities: While riding his moogle, Cait Sith can give enemies the boot with Dropkick.
Once his moogle’s attacks have filled the Moogle Meter, he can also buff his companions with abilities like “Defense!”

Synergy Abilities​

Synergy abilities are powerful attacks in which two characters team up to turn the tide of battle. More abilities will unlock as you increase the party level - a numerical expression of how closely-knit your team is - and deepen the affinity between party members.
Fill the synergy gauge by using abilities, then unleash a synchronized assault!

Moogle Pinwheel (Synergy Ability / Yuffie & Cait Sith)​

EN_01_ff7rebirth_SS_0115_Battle-j4tg9w4ps.jpeg

Yuffie and Cait Sith attack in tandem with a secret ninja technique.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH launches on February 29, 2024 for PS5. There’s still time to preorder too.
Preorder any digital edition of the game to get the following bonus item:
  • Moogle Trio Summoning Materia (in game item)
What’s more, if you have a save file from FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE or FF7R EPISODE INTERmission, you will be able to claim the following items in FINAL FANTASY REBIRTH:
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (PS4 / PS5) save file
  • Summon Materia: Leviathan
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE EPISODE INTERmission save file
  • Summon Materia: Ramuh
Please note that save data must be saved on the PS5 system.

Standard Edition (physical and digital)​

FFVIIREBIRTH_DE_Beauty_1920x1080_EN_PEGI-abg799wg7-krhamtv9e.jpg

Available both digitally and physically. The physical version comes across two discs and includes a reversible cover.
This edition includes:
  • The full game
It’s available to preorder now:
A Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade will also be available to purchase for the digital Standard Edition, which adds Digital Deluxe Edition content. This cannot be preordered and will become available when the game launches.

Deluxe Edition (physical only)​

FFVIIREBIRTH_DE_Beauty_1920x1080_EN_PEGI-abg799wg7-8azve2z95.jpg

The physical Deluxe Edition also includes the below:
  • The full game
  • Steelbook® case
  • A mini soundtrack CD (in jewel case)
  • Physical artbook
It's available to preorder now:

Digital Deluxe Edition (digital only)​

FFVIIREBIRTH_DDE_Beauty_1920x1080_EN_PEGI-7jkansc05-1qs1hsvmx.jpg

Available to preorder from the PlayStation Store, this edition includes:
  • The full game
  • Digital mini soundtrack
  • Digital artbook
  • Magic Pot Summoning Materia (in-game item)
  • Accessory: Reclaimant Choker (in-game item)
  • Armor: Orchid Bracelet (in-game item)

Collector’s Edition​

END2_CE_Beauty_1920x1080_EN_PEGI-ugcr85j24-4k52chumg.jpg

Available from the Square Enix Store, this edition is a real treat for fans. It includes:
  • The full game (across two discs)
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH STATIC ARTS - SEPHIROTH - a large, highly detailed statue of Sephiroth
  • Steelbook® case
  • A mini soundtrack CD
  • Physical artbook features stunning illustrations and concept art from the game
  • Moogle Trio Summoning Materia (in-game item)
  • Magic Pot Summoning Materia (in-game item)
  • Accessory: Reclaimant Choker (in-game item)
  • Armor: Orchid Bracelet (in-game item)

Twin Pack (digital only)​

FFVIIREBIRTH_TWIN_Beauty_1920x1080_EN_PEGI-2yrfmhzbr-8osemjzm6.jpg

This terrific twin pack gives you access to both FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE and the upcoming game FANTASY VII REBIRTH.
Once ordered, you can start playing FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE right away and be ready to continue the adventure in FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH on release day.
The set includes:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE - full game including EPISODE INTERmission DLC
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH - full game
Purchase this twin set before launch to get a substantial discount - essentially you can get both titles together for the same price as one standard edition! Check the PlayStation Store to see prices in your region:

Digital Deluxe Twin Pack (digital only)​

This bumper bundle gives you both FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE and the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Digital Deluxe Edition, and all the awesome content that comes with it.
Once purchased, you can start playing FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE right away:
It includes:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE - full game, including EPISODE INTERmission DLC
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Digital Deluxe Edition - full game
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Digital mini soundtrack
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Digital artbook
  • Magic Pot Summoning Materia (FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH in-game item)
  • Accessory: Reclaimant Choker (FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH in-game item)
  • Armor: Orchid Bracelet (FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH in-game item)
It’s available to order now. What’s more, purchase before launch for a significant discount on the price of both games!
1/25/24 Overview vid

Update 1/26/24 Special stream

Rebirth Trailer

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Is this the second part of the remake? I know they have two FF titles coming this year...

I honestly don't want another bait and switch of a game... the first part departed way too much from the original story (except for the portion that was in the demo... obviously).

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is this the second part of the remake? I know they have two FF titles coming this year...

I honestly don't want another bait and switch of a game... the first part departed way too much from the original story (except for the portion that was in the demo... obviously).
Yeah it's the second part of the game, and yes it's going to be the same "bait and switch." It's continuing the story in "Remake" not the original (and way better) game.

That said, I might still get it because it looks like a really high quality production. At the same time I couldn't be bothered to finish the first one because of what they did to it ...

• Shake
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Yeah.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yeah it's the second part of the game, and yes it's going to be the same "bait and switch." It's continuing the story in "Remake" not the original (and way better) game.

That said, I might still get it because it looks like a really high quality production. At the same time I couldn't be bothered to finish the first one because of what they did to it ...
The remake was incredible: Get with the Future, Fossil features.

T Rex Dinosaur GIF

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

T Rex Dinosaur GIF
I just can't get over what they did to the story and characters though. Such a simple and meaningful story for Sakaguchi, and Nomura came in and took a hot steaming dump on it. I actually find it kind of disrespectful. The original FF7 is also not perfect (a big chunk of the story is basically a FF6 remix, where FF6 did it better) but the crux of the story is not something that can just be tossed out willy nilly and give the game the same label IMO.

But I can totally see how if someone has never played the original, it could be really great. The game is amazing looking and fun to actually play.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I just can't get over what they did to the story and characters though. Such a simple and meaningful story for Sakaguchi, and Nomura came in and took a hot steaming dump on it. I actually find it kind of disrespectful. The original FF7 is also not perfect (a big chunk of the story is basically a FF6 remix, where FF6 did it better) but the crux of the story is not something that can just be tossed out willy nilly and give the game the same label IMO.

But I can totally see how if someone has never played the original, it could be really great. The game is amazing looking and fun to actually play.
That’s the thing, it’s not shitting on the original story, it’s a new story caused by outside forces meddling with reality.

The title being Remake is actually referencing the fact that reality is being re-made by outside forces.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Lord Mittens

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Its a remake as in a remake and re-telling of the same story but twisted into something new.
As Sephiroth is the same Sephiroth from FF7: Advent Children trying to change the past

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

T Rex Dinosaur GIF
1 - the battles were amazing and I'm all for that kind of change
2 - The First area, the mako reactor was pretty amazing too and I wished the whole game would have kept that level of accuracy/polish and differentiation (not more, not less) throughout
3 - Those new characters and what not, it just added "depth" where none was needed, it broke the immersion with garbage padding and there was nothing to carry it

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That’s the thing, it’s not shitting on the original story, it’s a new story caused by outside forces meddling with reality.

The title being Remake is actually referencing the fact that reality is being re-made by outside forces.
That's not really what remake means, and it's certainly not what was promised or what people thought we were getting. Also, that line about "remake" implicitly meaning change is the same argument Ethomaz makes about this. :p

Think about this. You order a cake and it is ruined, or not what you wanted. Same thing with ordering a dish at a restaurant. It comes out bad. The waiter takes it, and what will they say? "I apologize, we will remake this for you." It means you're going to get the same thing. If you then had something entirely different delivered you would rightly respond, "this isn't what I ordered." Because you know ... you wanted your original dish, remade. This idea that the word itself embodies change is bizarre and I have only seen that argument used within the context of this particular game release.

It's not the same story, period. It's not FF7. It's just FF7 characters with ... whatever you might call the game. Alternative universe tale? And, like I mentioned, the inspiration for the original story is a pretty personal one to Sakaguchi. If I had been the one to handle this game I would have treated it with the utmost respect. Nomura didn't. Simple as that.

The original game, as most people are aware, is inspired by the death of Sakaguchi's mother, what that meant to him, and the grief he dealt with. FF7 remake tosses all that out and turns the story into schlock. It is absolutely taking a dump on the original.

Also The Last of Us 1 Remake is an actual remake. Notice people called that a remake all day long, and no one expected changes.

Its a remake as in a remake and re-telling of the same story but twisted into something new.
As Sephiroth is the same Sephiroth from FF7: Advent Children trying to change the past
Saying something is twisted is in direction opposition to the idea of a "remake."

If it's something new you're not making it again. What you guys are describing is a re-imagining.

I don't care if people like it or dislike it. I think it's a well executed game, just a very misguided one given the history. And I am far from the only person that feels this way about what they did.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I might still play Rebirth because it looks pretty incredible in a lot of ways. I just don't understand the need to perform mental gymnastics to defend something in a way it doesn't need, or doesn't even make sense.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That's not really what remake means, and it's certainly not what was promised or what people thought we were getting. Also, that line about "remake" implicitly meaning change is the same argument Ethomaz makes about this. :p

Think about this. You order a cake and it is ruined, or not what you wanted. Same thing with ordering a dish at a restaurant. It comes out bad. The waiter takes it, and what will they say? "I apologize, we will remake this for you." It means you're going to get the same thing. If you then had something entirely different delivered you would rightly respond, "this isn't what I ordered." Because you know ... you wanted your original dish, remade. This idea that the word itself embodies change is bizarre and I have only seen that argument used within the context of this particular game release.

It's not the same story, period. It's not FF7. It's just FF7 characters with ... whatever you might call the game. Alternative universe tale? And, like I mentioned, the inspiration for the original story is a pretty personal one to Sakaguchi. If I had been the one to handle this game I would have treated it with the utmost respect. Nomura didn't. Simple as that.

The original game, as most people are aware, is inspired by the death of Sakaguchi's mother, what that meant to him, and the grief he dealt with. FF7 remake tosses all that out and turns the story into schlock. It is absolutely taking a dump on the original.

Also The Last of Us 1 Remake is an actual remake. Notice people called that a remake all day long, and no one expected changes.

Saying something is twisted is in direction opposition to the idea of a "remake."

If it's something new you're not making it again. What you guys are describing is a re-imagining.

I don't care if people like it or dislike it. I think it's a well executed game, just a very misguided one given the history. And I am far from the only person that feels this way about what they did.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I might still play Rebirth because it looks pretty incredible in a lot of ways. I just don't understand the need to perform mental gymnastics to defend something in a way it doesn't need, or doesn't even make sense.
You should give that lecture to Nomura. I’m not the one who named the game.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Is the labeling confusing? Yes
Remakes normally are the same games re-made
This case it is a Remake, a play on words as it is a Remake and Also a Remake "Retelling - Remaking"
Remake, Rebirth, Revenge - Retelling

If they came out before the remake came out and said it was called something else and not a remake but set in the same place with the same people it would have just spoiled the game before it even came out

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

imagine, how you are blessed, played original and now, you can play something new.
just enjoy for what it is.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I honestly disagree with everyone who says the original FF7 is a "much better" game. The people who say this must be blinded by nostalgia. FF7R is not perfect but it is an amazing homage to the original, and the people who are angry at it not being a 1-1 remake are doing themselves a disservice by hating on it for no reason.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
yea I am in the FF7 original much better camp.

My god the Remake is firsr quarter of FF7 scretch into a 20-30 hours game. And the writing is basically Nomura special, bullshit plot with weird multiple timelines shit, and magical fate bullshit. Basically KH 1.x and 2.x type of shit. Not a big fan lol.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Also I noticed that every Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest that is on PS4 is on Plus lol.

For 20000 yen I could buy second hand copies of all of them so why bother?