FINAL FANTASY XIV Online already flopping hard on Xbox. it’s not even in the top 400 paid games list.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Microsoft Store: Top paid games
ceLN2BT.jpeg
dRlqzgz.jpeg

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
And the first 50+ hours of it are free to play too lmao 😂😂 I hope whatever Xbox paid them was worth it, because there's no money to be made for them on Xbox. And now SE games will take even longer to make just to appease a dead platform.

If the idiots at Sony weren't complacent and secured KH4 and FF9 Remake as PS5 exclusives, we would already have them by now, but they're wasting time developing for the Series S and PC, which will result in less than 10% of sales. But people on this site will tell you Sony doesn't need to bother with those kinds of deals anymore 🤡

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And the first 50+ hours of it are free to play too lmao 😂😂 I hope whatever Xbox paid them was worth it, because there's no money to be made for them on Xbox. And now SE games will take even longer to make just to appease a dead platform.

If the idiots at Sony weren't complacent and secured KH4 and FF9 Remake as PS5 exclusives, we would already have them by now, but they're wasting time developing for the Series S and PC, which will result in less than 10% of sales. But people on this site will tell you Sony doesn't need to bother with those kinds of deals anymore 🤡
I still can't believe they preferred Bungie over Square Enix. With $3.7B they could have gained a controlling share of approximately 60-70%. Jim Ryan really screwed up Sony leadership's business vision.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Of course SE are dumb for wasting porting effort on xbox.

And they put some decent games like octopath traveller 2 straight to gamepass to devalue their games further
And Octopath 1 takes 6 years to release on PlayStation lmfao. SE creatives are some of my favorite, but the suits are some of the dumbest in the industry along with Sega execs.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I still can't believe they preferred Bungie over Square Enix. With $3.7B they could have gained a controlling share of approximately 60-70%. Jim Ryan really screwed up Sony leadership's business vision.
For real. Bungie hasnt put out a game only an expansion. With only putting out 1 game a decade and their headcount, bungie has been nothing but costing overhead. Atleast sith square you would guarantee atleast 2 games a year with definitely more

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
But people on this site will tell you Sony doesn't need to bother with those kinds of deals anymore 🤡
Sony to busy trying buy Paramount but with the rumors looks like Skydance will buy Paramount (hopefully) & Sony takes that 26 billion & either buy WB for entertainment also it would help PS by getting more studios + ips.

Or buy gaming publisher/studios or make strategic investment. Either way Sony slow asf

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
For real. Bungie hasnt put out a game only an expansion. With only putting out 1 game a decade and their headcount, bungie has been nothing but costing overhead. Atleast sith square you would guarantee atleast 2 games a year with definitely more
If Sony bought Square Enix back in 2020 when MS bought there first publisher. Sony would have FF7 Reborn, FF16, FF9 remake, FF tactics, Octopath 2, Dragon Quest 12, next Neir, Crono Trigger remake, Xeno Gears/Parasyte Eve remake & even maybe Kingdom Hearts 4 times exclusive if not fully exclusive to PS5.

Sony would see uptick in Asia more specifically Japan but also china, korea, india that are growing markets.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I dislike JR as much as the next guy, but this is such a weird take.

Sony's board approves acquisitions, not Jim Ryan. We do not know if SIEs leadership pitched Bungie and Square Enix, just Bungie, or if they pitched anything alt all. For all we know JR could have said "this is a bad idea" and Sony's leadership (the same idiots that wanted to buy Paramount) could have said "fuck you, we're getting them".

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I wonder how analysts for developers like SE calculate potential sales for platforms like Xbox, especially when all the data tells us Xbox players don't buy games. What is the upside?

shocknero

12 Jun 2023
I wonder how analysts for developers like SE calculate potential sales for platforms like Xbox, especially when all the data tells us Xbox players don't buy games. What is the upside?
Well what we won’t see from the chart is the FF14 subscriptions they are getting for a game you can start playing for free. Although Xbox does require a Gamepass subscription to play, which won’t help.

24 Jun 2022
Of course SE are dumb for wasting porting effort on xbox.

And they put some decent games like octopath traveller 2 straight to gamepass to devalue their games further

Yep. Got zero incentive to buy a non-FF game on other platforms if there's no rush (no FOMO) and can wait for a Game Pass drop. Then sub cheaply for a month, play the game, drop the sub.

If these companies want to do what they think is best for "increasing their margins", I think customers can start doing what's best for increasing their savings. Even those who otherwise would have no issue buying these games at launch if they knew they wouldn't be devalued shortly after going into a cheap subscription service for "free".

Reactions: JAHGamer

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I dislike JR as much as the next guy, but this is such a weird take.

Sony's board approves acquisitions, not Jim Ryan. We do not know if SIEs leadership pitched Bungie and Square Enix, just Bungie, or if they pitched anything alt all. For all we know JR could have said "this is a bad idea" and Sony's leadership (the same idiots that wanted to buy Paramount) could have said "fuck you, we're getting them".
Well it's true the Sony leadership approves the acquisition, but I ultimately think Jim Ryan played a role in not getting Square Enix.
I am convinced there were talks, and Jim Ryan probably advised the Sony board not to proceed with SE, but instead Bungie. Jimbo was all about GaaS. There were like 10 GaaS titles coming, more than the half canceled after they announced Jimbo will resign. So I think it was mostly his influence. Well any way shame on Sony overall for ditching Square Enix for Bungie. Doubt the report about Sony's interest on Square was false.

Last edited: