Final Fantasy XVI PC Version In 'Final Stages Of Optimization,' Expect A Demo Before Release |UP| Other platform ports being teased.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
I think Nintendo should be very perceptive about FF16 coming to their new console, as the franchise itself was born in Nintendo consoles and it would be a nice comeback to signal Nintendo extending their hand to 3rd party developers.

However, this is what I think Nintendo should do, not what I think Nintendo will do. They seem to not give a rat's ass about 3rd party developers.

Just look at what Nintendo just did. They casually delayed the Switch 2 by half a year because they thought they didn't have enough of their own games ready on time. And this meant that all the 3rd parties making games on time for the Switch 2's release date are going to lose on all holidays sales numbers, not to mention being starved of revenue for months.
I think you're right when you say Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about 3rd party publishers. They will not modify any of their decisions based on 3rd party releases or lack thereof.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Smarter people:

"A PC version is done since all modern game dev is done on PC, but only for a very narrow hardware spec mimicking the PS5. Needs a small dev team to take that version and flesh it out for full PC compatibility, additional options, wider hardware support, ultrawide support, QOL features, etc"

"It's partly delayed because of Sony moneyhat"

"They will release the PC port some time after the exclusivity period ends, whenever it makes the most business sense to the people making the decision on it."

That doesn't sound like something someone smart would say.

• brain
Reactions: Polyh3dron
24 Jun 2022
Or Switch 2

Switch 2 would require more optimization. On PC they're mainly targeting DX12U and Windows APIs through the GDK...which are natively compatible with Xbox Series. So I don't see why an Xbox version wouldn't happen at this point when it'd require less work than a Switch 2 version, even if the Switch 2 version would sell a ton more copies.

Basically, yes a Switch 2 version is likely definitely going to happen but not before an Xbox Series X & S version, the way things look to be going.

In any case, it's just kind of a realization on my part that SIE really have almost no genuine massive 3P exclusives going forward, even from the big Japanese publishers, and any future FF exclusives will probably be short timed exclusivity or no exclusivity most likely. But SIE will probably still pay up for marketing rights.

Rather unfortunate all around unless SIE are working with SE on exclusive revivals for stuff like Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve, or are doing internal or 3P co-op revivals for 1P IP like Legend of Dragoon, Arc The Lad and Dark Cloud. Otherwise they are just losing more 3P exclusives as content differentiations which naturally weakens the total appeal of the console over time.

I think Nintendo should be very perceptive about FF16 coming to their new console, as the franchise itself was born in Nintendo consoles and it would be a nice comeback to signal Nintendo extending their hand to 3rd party developers.

However, this is what I think Nintendo should do, not what I think Nintendo will do. They seem to not give a rat's ass about 3rd party developers.

Just look at what Nintendo just did. They casually delayed the Switch 2 by half a year because they thought they didn't have enough of their own games ready on time. And this meant that all the 3rd parties making games on time for the Switch 2's release date are going to lose on all holidays sales numbers, not to mention being starved of revenue for months.

Nintendo have gone out of their way for Square-Enix in the past, that's how the Crystal Chronicles series came about on Gamecube. They've also got a strong relationship with SEGA for various Mario & Sonic crossover games, appearances, and the Bayonetta IP license.

So I don't think Nintendo reaching out to Square-Enix to do as you suggest, is far-fetched, considering they've done similar with even Western publishers the past few years like Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Square will be porting everything to the Switch 2. After all they wanna be successful again and Playstation brand is simply not the place for that anymore.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Polyh3dron

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
PS keeps focusing on PC instead of doubling down on PS console & increasing the first party output they’ll loose FF exclusivity to Switch 2. The next FF will launch day 1 on Nintendo with other games like RE9, Person 6, Yakuza, MH etc not only did PS loose these easy exclusive due to Nintendo weaker console spec but now PS itself don’t have exclusive to compete w Nintendo or PC/Steam I still find it funny PS followed Xbox strategy that failed & caused there gaming division to implode lol. Switch 2 having higher spec I expect most AAA games to launch day 1 if not 6 month after no way 3rd party ignore Switch 2.

It makes you wonder why PS hasn’t acquired Square Enix maybe it’s just incompetence or PS wants to be 3rd party because these strategic investment are something I would’ve done in 2020/2021 PS is looking spooky & Nintendo & PC/Steam are becoming defacto platforms w permanent exclusive w a concrete focuse on its platform/storefront & having exclusive games you can play anywhere else permanently. Steam can do serious damage if they started making singleplayer games w there existing ip like CSGO, Half Life, Dota Nintendo will keep doing damage to PS just by having more 3rd party support & having true permanent exclusive games the only thing that would bolster that damage by Nintendo is if they started making rate M mature singleplayer games which I don’t see them doing

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters