Firewalk Studios Is Filled With Veterans From Bungie, Respawn, Activision, BioWare, Raven Software And More

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony doesn’t need a yearly release.

Something in the mould of Apex Legends, Overwatch or Valorant will be enough.

I’m sure Bungie, Firewalk and even Deviation games can deliver something in that category.
Yes, these 3 studios have talent from all these games, Destiny, Halo or CoD to name some of them.

Sony is still empty in the WRPG department.
Bullshit. Can you list which console WRPGs of the market with decent sales are not in PS? They are all in PS.

And why to split WRPG from the Japanese RPGs? What happens with let's say Yakuza, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter or FFXVI? And Horizon?

COD is still a yearly number 1 release
If some day CoD stops being released on PS, something I doubt, it willl stop being in the top 10, maybe even top 20. And their PS players (plus the Sony marketing previously spent on CoD) will move to other games, like the ones being made at Bungie, Deviation and Firewalk.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It seems like Microsoft was talking to ABK many years ago, and Sony knew about it since then. Sony's sudden push to build blockbuster FPS studios since 2019 makes alot of sense now.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
forget about it with these two on the helm. i wish we could get high end Skyrim or Witcher game, but you can just dream about it. now, all games gaas or shooter.
I don't like that they are going full force on gaas. I don't play multiplayer anymore because I suck in competitive games and hate bullet sponge coop games.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Bullshit. Can you list which console WRPGs of the market with decent sales are not in PS? They are all in PS.

And why to split WRPG from the Japanese RPGs? What happens with let's say Yakuza, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter or FFXVI? And Horizon?

Firstly what first party WRPG developer/ WRPG IP does Sony have?

Secondly Microsoft has already gobbled most of the major WRPG developers alongwith their IPs.

Bethesda is gone alongwith Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Obsidian is gone.

Blizzard will be gone alongwith Diablo eventually.

Sony desperately needs a WRPG developer like CD Projekt Red or Larian studios.

Not sure why you are lumping JRPG with WRPG. They are a whole different kettle of fish.

Sony doesn’t even have a first party JRPG developer either but that is less of a worry cause they will continue to support Playstation and obviously Microsoft will have difficulty buying a Japanese Publisher.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Firstly what first party WRPG developer/ WRPG IP does Sony have?

Secondly Microsoft has already gobbled most of the major WRPG developers alongwith their IPs.

Bethesda is gone alongwith Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Obsidian is gone.

Blizzard will be gone alongwith Diablo eventually.
All their publilshed WRPGs are on PS, none of these as Xbox exclusive. MS has a total of zero published exclusive WRPGs.

Sony has Horizon, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy and many exclusive JRPGs more.

Sony desperately needs a WRPG developer like CD Projekt Red or Larian studios.
No, they don't. PS is the platform with the biggest amount of RPGs, both multi and exclusive.

Not sure why you are lumping JRPG with WRPG. They are a whole different kettle of fish.
Because they are the same: RPGs. The distinction between JRPG and WRPG nowadays is stupid. First because they no longer have the distinction of the turn based combat outside in a few exceptions and second because nowadays in every big studio there are a ton of people from a ton of countries and most of the AAA games get outsourced to many studios from many countries of the world.

Sony doesn’t even have a first party JRPG developer either but that is less of a worry cause they will continue to support Playstation and obviously Microsoft will have difficulty buying a Japanese Publisher.
PlayStation is the platform with the biggest amount of exclusives, including the biggest amount of RPG exclusives. More than Microsoft and Nintendo combined.
PlayStation is also the platform with the biggest amount of multipllatform RPGs.
PlayStation is also the platform with the biggest Japanese 3rd party support, both in exclusive support and multiplatform support.
PlayStation dominates their direct competition in many areas, being the RPG genre one of them.
For all these reasons PlayStation doesn't need more 1st party RPG developers.

MS will get this generation as exclusive what, Elder Scrolls VI, Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2? (assuming they will be full console exclusive). Who cares and who knows which year are they going to be ready, PS this year will get Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth or Granblue Fantasy: Relink plus more I may forget. In a year, not in a generation.

• fire
Reactions: On Demand

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
All their publilshed WRPGs are on PS, none of these as Xbox exclusive. MS has a total of zero published exclusive WRPGs.

Sony has Horizon, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy and many exclusive JRPGs more.

No, they don't. PS is the platform with the biggest amount of RPGs, both multi and exclusive.

Because they are the same: RPGs. The distinction between JRPG and WRPG nowadays is stupid. First because they no longer have the distinction of the turn based combat outside in a few exceptions and second because nowadays in every big studio there are a ton of people from a ton of countries and most of the AAA games get outsourced to many studios from many countries of the world.

PlayStation is the platform with the biggest amount of exclusives, including the biggest amount of RPG exclusives. More than Microsoft and Nintendo combined.
PlayStation is also the platform with the biggest amount of multipllatform RPGs.
PlayStation is also the platform with the biggest Japanese 3rd party support, both in exclusive support and multiplatform support.
PlayStation dominates their direct competition in many areas, being the RPG genre one of them.
For all these reasons PlayStation doesn't need more 1st party RPG developers.

MS will get this generation as exclusive what, Elder Scrolls VI, Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2? (assuming they will be full console exclusive). Who cares and who knows which year are they going to be ready, PS this year will get Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth or Granblue Fantasy: Relink plus more I may forget. In a year, not in a generation.

The point is Sony has NO guaranteed WRPG games since they don’t have a WRPG developer or IP.

Neither do they have a JRPG developer.

The games you mention made by Sony are not WRPGs.

You can’t rest of your laurels and expect the future to be the same. It won’t since Microsoft have already gobbled Bethesda, Obsidian and ABK up.

Who knows what else Microsoft will gobble up and make things even worse for Sony.

Sony needs a WRPG developer and even a JRPG developer and not be dependent on anyone.

Larian studios and CDPR are available for WRPG and Square Enix for JRPG.

Level 5 is also a decent option. Not sure why they have gone under the radar.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
From Software is the RPG Dev to get. It serves interests of both WRPG and JRPG fans

After that the Larian relationship seems to be building

CD Project doesn't fit Sony based on their historical apathy to Playstation

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The point is Sony has NO guaranteed WRPG games since they don’t have a WRPG developer or IP.

PlayStation has guaranteed WRPG and JRPG because they have the biggest amount of WRPG and JRPG companies supporting the platform. And it's the best seling platform for the genre, so their publishers and developers will continue there unless they want to commit suicide.

Sony doesn't care about Larian and Level 5 because they don't sell a shit and they have a gazillion RPGs selling way more on PS.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
While the studio itself is a noname with norelease.
The people there are people with big baggages.
So many studios like this went on to fail, MS had 343 and the initiative in recent history. Anyway, I could not care less as they seem to be working on an online service game.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

The games you mention made by Sony are not WRPGs.

You can’t rest of your laurels and expect the future to be the same. It won’t since Microsoft have already gobbled Bethesda, Obsidian and ABK up.

Who knows what else Microsoft will gobble up and make things even worse for Sony.

Sony needs a WRPG developer and even a JRPG developer and not be dependent on anyone.

What’s happening with that KOTOR remake?

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Sony doesn't care about Larian and Level 5 because they don't sell a shit and they have a gazillion RPGs selling way more on PS.
I disagree with your assessment of Sony RPGs. All I play are classic RPGs - not games that are fps' with a skill tree, but real rpgs, and Sony has next to none.

They used to be the console with all the rpgs, now that console is the xbox.

As for Larian, divinity 1 and 2, including the expansions, were the highest rated and best selling classic rpgs since the golden era of PC RPGs.

Balders Gate 3, the long, long awaited sequel to one of, if not the best, most renowned RPG ever created, is, at this moment in time, a console exclusive to PS5 and will move units.

CDPR, capcom (dragons dogma 2) and Larian would be great purchases

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
PlayStation has guaranteed WRPG and JRPG because they have the biggest amount of WRPG and JRPG companies supporting the platform. And it's the best seling platform for the genre, so their publishers and developers will continue there unless they want to commit suicide.

Sony buy talent not IP sales

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Even the Square acquisition rumors seemed rooted in online multiplayer with FF14. No different than their reasons to acquire Bungie. They want studios already successful in those areas.

For something like this? To buy Firewalk before we have seen or really even heard anything? They probably just like what they see. I think this is good news. If I remember correctly Nintnedo didn’t actually buy Retro until weeks before Prime 1 actually launched…

Lots of devs split off. Respawn for instance is the biggest success of something like this in recent memory. It’s a gamble but it’s not like it hasn’t happened. We’ll know for sure when we play it ourselves.

Maybe a small studio to helm a live service game itself but who knows what the scope is. Unless it’s not… I’m not ruling out a more traditional boxed game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I disagree with your assessment of Sony RPGs. All I play are classic RPGs - not games that are fps' with a skill tree, but real rpgs, and Sony has next to none.

They used to be the console with all the rpgs, now that console is the xbox.
PS has a gazilllion RPGs that aren't on Xbox. Xbox doesn't have any decent RPG that isn't on PS.

As for Larian, divinity 1 and 2, including the expansions, were the highest rated and best selling classic rpgs since the golden era of PC RPGs.

Balders Gate 3, the long, long awaited sequel to one of, if not the best, most renowned RPG ever created, is, at this moment in time, a console exclusive to PS5 and will move units.
I don't say that Larian makes bad games (btw I personally know BG3 devs), I only say that they are more a PC dev. Their console sales are residual, in console there are other games that sell way more.

So if Sony some day would be afraid of losing all the gazillion devs that are making RPGs for PS (something that won't happen at all), they'd try to secure the most relevant ones. But guess what, Sony already has them secured and has deals with them without needing to acquire them.

CDPR, capcom (dragons dogma 2) and Larian would be great purchases
I'd buy Capcom (for Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and DMC plus their legacy more than for Dragon's Dogma), but Capcom are performing better than ever has been improving their finantials every year during the last decade, meaning that it's a bad moment to sell because very likely they will continue growing, so their value will be way higher in a few years.

Also, like Ubisoft it's a family business, so unless the whole family wants to retire or it seriously tank (which isn't the case) I don't see them interested on selling the company.

CDPR now has a market cap of $2.7B (so in thee current context their acquisition price probably would be around 50% more), which is a joke since they only release a big game per generation and they don't own a single IP. In addition to this, their management and working ethics seems to need a huge overhaul. I think their vaue should continue dropping to around the half of their current market cap, around $1.5B maybe.

In any case, Sony already has many SP narrative open world games, now they have Guerrilla, Insomniac, Sucker Punch or more or less Santa Monica there. I see Sony interested on acquiring instead studios that excel on different game types that are top sellers in console and that that their 1st party projects don't handle or master. As an eample, the recent shooter/GaaS/MP acquisitions.

If cheap Larian would be interesting to grow in PC.

To buy Firewalk before we have seen or really even heard anything?
They worked before in games like Destiny, Halo, Bioshock Infinite, Apex Legends, Titanfall, Mass Effect and so on. So I assume Hermen liked what he saw, but their pedigree gives him confidence.

They probably just like what they see. I think this is good news. If I remember correctly Nintnedo didn’t actually buy Retro until weeks before Prime 1 actually launched…

Lots of devs split off.
Fun fact: the Metroid Prime leads splitted off and now are at Bluepoint.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters