First Descendant Open Beta Launch (f2p) [hearing it’s good!]

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Downloading now on ps5. Kinda excited because impressions from players seems good.

Anyone else in to take the gamble?

Goin in blind.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Quick impressions on Ps5.

Decent looking game. Third person sci fi shooter.

Gunplay and movement feels tight.

Adaptive triggers are supported. For some reason ALL dialogue comes in thru controller speaker… can’t say I hate that tho.

I’m sorta very much immediately impressed. Shooter fans… I’m sounding the alarm. Check it out.

Edit: blatant destiny clone with its social aspects and presentation etc. sorta impressed by how competent of a clone tho. Very much immediately overloaded with prompts upon entering social hub. Don’t really know where the f2p hook is. D2 does paid content drops… it looks like this game is going full blown digital currency route for everything. If it’s not bad with in-game options… we shall see.

There does seem to be a narrative. I’m interested enough to play whatever campaign there is at least if any… like I said… goin in blind and don’t really know what to expect.

Most so called destiny clones are not destiny clones. Outriders came close but I kinda hated that game. This however… it’s being called a competitor. I cant just see that yet but it might be worth trying if it also comes with an actual campaign too…? I wasn’t too crazy about warframe personally. No player created avatars here. Heroes etc with skins. No armor buildcrafting it seems. Not crazy about that but it seems plenty are.

@Gamernyc78 I think you might find co-op value here

I’d still rather play remnant at the moment but I’m willing to give this a fair shake. It’s kinda jank but kinda has potential? Too early

Edit: no traditional campaign missions yet. Just drop into a zone and do small bs quests. Hope that’s not the extent of it. I’m expecting more than that at some point. Had enough of a sample for today.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Quick impressions on Ps5.

Decent looking game. Third person sci fi shooter.

Gunplay and movement feels tight.

Adaptive triggers are supported. For some reason ALL dialogue comes in thru controller speaker… can’t say I hate that tho.

I’m sorta very much immediately impressed. Shooter fans… I’m sounding the alarm. Check it out.

Edit: blatant destiny clone with its social aspects and presentation etc. sorta impressed by how competent of a clone tho. Very much immediately overloaded with prompts upon entering social hub. Don’t really know where the f2p hook is. D2 does paid content drops… it looks like this game is going full blown digital currency route for everything. If it’s not bad with in-game options… we shall see.

There does seem to be a narrative. I’m interested enough to play whatever campaign there is at least if any… like I said… goin in blind and don’t really know what to expect.

Most so called destiny clones are not destiny clones. Outriders came close but I kinda hated that game. This however… it’s being called a competitor. I cant just see that yet but it might be worth trying if it also comes with an actual campaign too…? I wasn’t too crazy about warframe personally. No player created avatars here. Heroes etc with skins. No armor buildcrafting it seems. Not crazy about that but it seems plenty are.

@Gamernyc78 I think you might find co-op value here

I’d still rather play remnant at the moment but I’m willing to give this a fair shake. It’s kinda jank but kinda has potential? Too early

Edit: no traditional campaign missions yet. Just drop into a zone and do small bs quests. Hope that’s not the extent of it. I’m expecting more than that at some point. Had enough of a sample for today.
any more updates on this? are you still playing it? was it worth your time in the end?

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
any more updates on this? are you still playing it? was it worth your time in the end?

Maybe over the weekend I’ll get some more time in. I doubt I will go heavy into it and mostly because it’s information overload for me and I’m sure everyone else. I don’t have the patience for it in longer sessions.

I do commend the game doing a decent job with tool tips trying to onboard players.

The loot system is archaic at face value. You quickly get increasingly lvl’d weapons relative to player xp lvl. The old blue rarity destiny system.

And there’s a lot of that in here. Older systems now mostly removed from destiny itself. I don’t like that. We’re passed a lot of that. So that’s not exciting.

HOWEVER… and it’s a big however. The amount of modules you can socket on weapons and your character build are many. Just discovered this and was like that’s enough menus for today… there’s a lot of options to break the game with.

I believe there is some kind of energy level determined by proficiency with a weapon. So even if you keep getting the same weapon dropped at increasing lvl every 5 mins … you can still build exp with that weapon frame itself (think Returnal). This kinda negates the lvling spect aside from the whole numbers go up thing.

I may have just made my way up to an actual campaign mission… maybe? It says it’ll take 15 mins. Otherwise exploration and environment design is nothing to write home about yet. I must repeat that I’ve only scratched the surface and these are only surface level observations.

Gunplay and abilities themselves gives off discount mass effect vibes. Take that for what you will. It still feels good and I’m sure there’s tons of cool options to discover. I’ve had to tweak x-axis sensitivity on controller quite a bit. I’m a low sensitivity player however so that may be preference but it’s a suggestion if you find it jumpy.

This may sound negative but im still quite optimistic at the moment. It also doesn’t help when I’m playing Remnant 2 and Destiny to directly compare it to. But I hold those as the standard (remnant is far and away my goty right now).

I’ve never played a proper f2p game before really aside from PvP games in passing only and like 15 hours of warframe 6 years ago. With that said I’m still interested. Im not sour on it and I don’t hate the vibe or presentation at all. It’s still got things going for it… like being free and maybe worth messing with for the non PvP player

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Maybe over the weekend I’ll get some more time in. I doubt I will go heavy into it and mostly because it’s information overload for me and I’m sure everyone else. I don’t have the patience for it in longer sessions.

I do commend the game doing a decent job with tool tips trying to onboard players.

The loot system is archaic at face value. You quickly get increasingly lvl’d weapons relative to player xp lvl. The old blue rarity destiny system.

And there’s a lot of that in here. Older systems now mostly removed from destiny itself. I don’t like that. We’re passed a lot of that. So that’s not exciting.

HOWEVER… and it’s a big however. The amount of modules you can socket on weapons and your character build are many. Just discovered this and was like that’s enough menus for today… there’s a lot of options to break the game with.

I believe there is some kind of energy level determined by proficiency with a weapon. So even if you keep getting the same weapon dropped at increasing lvl every 5 mins … you can still build exp with that weapon frame itself (think Returnal). This kinda negates the lvling spect aside from the whole numbers go up thing.

I may have just made my way up to an actual campaign mission… maybe? It says it’ll take 15 mins. Otherwise exploration and environment design is nothing to write home about yet. I must repeat that I’ve only scratched the surface and these are only surface level observations.

Gunplay and abilities themselves gives off discount mass effect vibes. Take that for what you will. It still feels good and I’m sure there’s tons of cool options to discover. I’ve had to tweak x-axis sensitivity on controller quite a bit. I’m a low sensitivity player however so that may be preference but it’s a suggestion if you find it jumpy.

This may sound negative but im still quite optimistic at the moment. It also doesn’t help when I’m playing Remnant 2 and Destiny to directly compare it to. But I hold those as the standard (remnant is far and away my goty right now).

I’ve never played a proper f2p game before really aside from PvP games in passing only and like 15 hours of warframe 6 years ago. With that said I’m still interested. Im not sour on it and I don’t hate the vibe or presentation at all. It’s still got things going for it… like being free and maybe worth messing with for the non PvP player
thank you for the details, i think i will try give the beta a go after what you said

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Chipped away some more…

So that first “15 min” quest had matchmaking on so I was beamed into an in progress mission. Lots of shooting. I felt op next to my partner. Moderate amounts of fun.

Then went to the next zone in Kingston to do the next loop of d1 style “patrol” quests.

Ugh maybe they’re designed to do in co-op but a good chunk are the stand in circle and fend off enemies stuff… thing is so many spawn that it takes forever. I’m probably lvl’ing too fast because of it. Kinda shit loop.

Game is generous with daily rewards right now. Just got a loyalty player login reward enough to unlock epic character. If you end up liking it starting sooner might pay off big.

It’s totally jank. Don’t hate it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I played 15 mins with the ice magic girl and I thought it was impressive for a F2P.

I had more time later but they were doing maintenance so I couldn't play. Today is the last day but I'm not home so I guess that's it for me 🤡

We'll see next year