First Look At God Of War Ragnarök's Svartalfheim Level | Exclusive Gameplay

D

Deleted member 13

Is this a hill you really want to die on? Sun is pretty much on opposite sides - OG has the sun to the west, Ragnarok has the sun to the east, but shadow direction is pretty much like for like, only pointing to the other direction.

1awxVV8.jpg

Ragnarok
hGMACLE.jpeg

How about this since people claim they see massive differences in lighting and shading with subpixel tessellation instead of normal maps with consoles (that can't even render native 4k without tanking performance). Oh and the game will also appear on the PS4 which will either have it all removed or the PS4 2018 version could have been significantly better. We will all wait for the DF/NXGamer review and hopefully they will compare the two and point out the changes you guys are seeing that no one else is.

Btw, the outfits aren't the same fyi. One shows his bare skin which isn't going to self-shadow anything from his uniform whereas the other one doesn't show any skin at all. You are seeing self-shadowing of his clothes from direct sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13

Here is a screenshot of my lowly Steam Deck pushing out subpixel tessellation geometry :rolleyes:. Why didn't SSM do this for the PS4?

FUNijny.jpg

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Here is a screenshot of my lowly Steam Deck pushing out subpixel tessellation geometry :rolleyes:. Why didn't SSM do this for the PS4?

FUNijny.jpg
Take a picture with the same distance though. Make comparable shots. You're standing right against that wall, and even then there's significant differences.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Btw, the outfits aren't the same fyi. One shows his bare skin which isn't going to self-shadow anything from his uniform whereas the other one doesn't show any skin at all. You are seeing self-shadowing of his clothes from direct sunlight.

So his body and the hammer having basically no self shadowing means nothing? Ok then.
How about this since people claim they see massive differences in lighting and shading with subpixel tessellation instead of normal maps with consoles (that can't even render native 4k without tanking performance). Oh and the game will also appear on the PS4 which will either have it all removed or the PS4 2018 version could have been significantly better. We will all wait for the DF/NXGamer review and hopefully they will compare the two and point out the changes you guys are seeing that no one else is.

Yes, because game engines don't evolve. HFW on the PS4 looks no better than HZD (it does). GOW Ragnarok will look slightly improved on the PS4 and will have lots of PS5 only stuff. It is what it is.

And there are massive differences in lighting, texture quality and shadows. They are visible. I've played OG on a 4k TV at 60fps. That video, even with compression, shows a game that simply looks better.

And I'll also wait for DF / NXGamer to go into the minutia, like I did with HFW, where I was proved right.

Reactions: Heisenberg007
D

Deleted member 13

So his body and the hammer having basically no self shadowing means nothing? Ok then.
Here is a shot in the same lighting conditions. There is plenty of self-shadowing.

Yes, because game engines don't evolve. HFW on the PS4 looks no better than HZD (it does). GOW Ragnarok will look slightly improved on the PS4 and will have lots of PS5 only stuff. It is what it is.
@Heisenberg007 - specifically said "they couldn't do this with last-gen" indicating that this was some next-gen title that can't be implemented with older hardware. You should really point this statement at him.

And there are massive differences in lighting, texture quality and shadows. They are visible. I've played OG on a 4k TV at 60fps. That video, even with compression, shows a game that simply looks better.
Simply looking better is absolutely agreeable. But to say massive differences in lighting means there is something outside of what every other studio does. When you make a claim like that, you have to know what specifically was changed in the lighting to make it "massive". The ONLY thing that would warrant such a claim is ray-traced lighting. It's not 'massive' if they use the same light source (a count of 1) and just cast more shadows from objects that wasn't taken into account before. Texture quality will mean 2x the size of the previous one, not the same but using anisotropic filtering of 16x to get a better approximation to texture filtering (that's just a console thing). Massive shadows would mean higher resolution shadow maps.

And I'll also wait for DF / NXGamer to go into the minutia, like I did with HFW, where I was proved right.
No one is indicating that the game is going to look the same as the PC title of 2018. Even in that argument, the additions to the quality was because of the 4k native, the step with some animation, more foliage and a water scheme that wasn't in the first one. HFW doesn't look next-gen for what people are expecting next-gen to look like (i.e. UE5 demo).

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
When will we get actual water as opposed to sprites water? I was expecting "real" water back in the days of Bioshock.

As many said. it looks a lot like the other one, but the gameplay seems a lot faster this time around, which is great!

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
When will we get actual water as opposed to sprites water? I was expecting "real" water back in the days of Bioshock.

As many said. it looks a lot like the other one, but the gameplay seems a lot faster this time around, which is great!
You can see the sprites repeating in the water like every 4 seconds lol...

D

Deleted member 13

Water is too far out for our generations of boards - even PS6 and beyond. It really requires simulation work and the shading is way too complex to spare bandwidth on.

Yup, the game still looks great! It doesn't have to be the greatest looking game just because it is still using older techniques. We are at a point of diminishing returns really. RT is also too bandwidth hungry (even for high-end GPUs).

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Water is too far out for our generations of boards - even PS6 and beyond. It really requires simulation work and the shading is way too complex to spare bandwidth on.

Yup, the game still looks great! It doesn't have to be the greatest looking game just because it is still using older techniques. We are at a point of diminishing returns really. RT is also too bandwidth hungry (even for high-end GPUs).
Maybe if they made the game 720p and ran it at 20fps like Ocarina of time I could at least get some decent water one day.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Can't believe they aren't simulating the atoms that make up every component of the world
My kid's brain kind of expected the Sega CD to do that with its 12mhz Motorola 68000 and extra RAM.

Somehow they are still working on this.

I would still like to see better ways to simulate water.