Foamstars Going Free to Play Starting October 4th

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Thank you for your support of FOAMSTARS.

FOAMSTARS, currently available on PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4, will change from its current regional pricing to a free-to-play title starting from October 4th 2024 at 1:00AM.

In addition, while previously a subscription to PlayStation®Plus was required to play FOAMSTARS, after the price change, consumers who are not subscribed to PlayStation®Plus may download and play FOAMSTARS for free.

For those who have downloaded FOAMSTARS before this change in price, we are planning to distribute a free “Legacy Gift” that includes these exclusive in-game items:
-12 exclusive color-variant Bubble Beastie skins
-1 exclusive Slide Board design
-1 title: “Legacy”

We will provide details regarding the “Legacy Gift,” such as how to obtain it, on our official website and official X account.

Please find further details of this update below:

■ Price change planned to take effect on:
October 4 2024 at 1:00AM (UTC)

■ Pricing Model
Current: Regional pricing
After update: Free to play

■ Gameplay access after the change
Before the change: Only those who are subscribed to PlayStation®Plus can play
After the change: Those who are not subscribed to PlayStation®Plus can play as well

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This game has potential but they didn't quite understand what makes Splatoon so much fun

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Nope but it'll happen and it could have helped the game a bit if they decided to do this from the start.

I don't want to see devs lose their jobs so I hope they're moved on to something else after this and not outright fired. And the sooner they move on the better. No need to sink more money into this.
Before they jump to F2P they should put it on PS+... Then they can try that... Just my opinion.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Before they jump to F2P they should put it on PS+... Then they can try that... Just my opinion.
Yeah, that might happen first. I just don't know what backlash will that cause for people who already paid. If it's too soon, people will complain. If it's too late, people won't bother with the game.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah, that might happen first. I just don't know what backlash will that cause for people who already paid. If it's too soon, people will complain. If it's too late, people won't bother with the game.
Honestly I don't think most will care. One of the most consistent question I get or ask whenever people are chatting in-game. They ask about thoughts on the game or how we feel about the hate it's getting... I've mentioned it going to PS+ many times and they always agree, that will eventually be a smart move.

Maybe Sony can give OG players some PS Stars points and FireWalk develop some exclusive content we can download, but I'm already getting my money's worth... So I wouldn't complain.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The game is actually fun and well-made. I guess it's the only way for them to make the numbers go up before they pull the plug.

People are done with GAAS unless it's the big ones already out.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Music is god tier but everything else is just serviceable , Soa and Pengwyn were pretty fun but the only GaaS games I play are Dota 2 , CS2 and First Descendent

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The game is actually fun and well-made. I guess it's the only way for them to make the numbers go up before they pull the plug.

We don't have infinite time on our hands..these companies got greedy and cannibalized the market. When all we needed was sometimes lobby based multiplayer additions to single player games like back in the PS3 era.

Allows devs to also move while doing incremental updates instead of having to fire hundreds of people to provide nonstop updates and content drops.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Do Concord next.
Does it still matter for Concord, though?

Foamstars is a small game so keeping it up is cheap.

Concord sounds like it's such a massive bomb that was so expensive to make and then to keep (CGI trailer every week?!) that I wonder if Sony shouldn't just reimburse all the ~10k copies sold, nuke the entire thing from orbit and write if off for tax benefits.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I couldnt download the PS+ version because I abroad. But if you recommend it i might try it

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Does it still matter for Concord, though?

Foamstars is a small game so keeping it up is cheap.

Concord sounds like it's such a massive bomb that was so expensive to make and then to keep (CGI trailer every week?!) that I wonder if Sony shouldn't just reimburse all the ~10k copies sold, nuke the entire thing from orbit and write if off for tax benefits.

They cant do that. There would be pissed off people because they are playing it and enjoying it.

They’ll probably go FP2 before that as theres nothing wrong with the core game. Hey Sony could be much smarter and just change the character designs for the next season or by when season 3 drops, put it for FP2.

But they will probably drop the CGI videos apart from the ones they have already made

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I couldnt download the PS+ version because I abroad. But if you recommend it i might try it
I played a couple of matches, it was fun and I saw the quality but I don't really play MP games so I'm not a reference you should follow 😅

I play Helldivers and Destiny casually (mostly solo). That's it for online games recently. I downloaded ZZZ and First Descendant but didn't give much time yet. 1 hour each maybe.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I played a couple of matches, it was fun and I saw the quality but I don't really play MP games so I'm not a reference you should follow 😅

I play Helldivers and Destiny casually (mostly solo). That's it for online games recently. I downloaded ZZZ and First Descendant but didn't give much time yet. 1 hour each maybe.

Im not really a MP gamer much either. Destiny hooked me. HellDivers 2, not so much but its still really good.
This looks a bit different and heard it was fun but obviously it just didnt get the attention

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
They can't do a tax write off now, that can only be done before they start selling now they have to reap what they have sown. Q2 investors call be fun, I hope some major institutional investor grills herman's ass and asks for concrete numbers.

Can't believe I am saying this but fucking Zaslav has more sense than Herman seeing that WB nuked the batwoman film before release.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
They cant do that. There would be pissed off people because they are playing it and enjoying it.
There's not a relevant amount of people who will be pissed. Steam probably has less than 1000 active players.
How many more are there on the PS5? 10x more?
That makes it 11000 people. At best.
And you don't know how many of those are devs from other Sony studios who were given codes to play.

11k people being pissed off isn't relevant for Sony at all, and I bet most of those will be happy with a refund.

They can't do a tax write off now, that can only be done before they start selling now they have to reap what they have sown.
I believe they can, as long as they take the game off the market.

It's what Disney did with the Willow series, for example. After releasing it to dismal viewership, they nuked the series from existence and wrote off its spendings for tax reliefs.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Damn, Concord is a flop but again weird how some can't allow the game to simply exist being a flop lol. Why does it need to be killed off?

The weekly CGI stuff are fairly short and probably isn't as expensive as people think just a few long cutscenes diced up to be spread out.

I'd hate to be the devs having to deal with the nonstop hate, when they know they mad a perfectly good game

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know