For Shigeru Miyamoto : "You need to sell 30 million copies to be considered a big hit"

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Depending on the game genre... I would consider 5m copies for an indie level game a big hit, 10-15m for AAA. If we had an industry that only focused on making 30m+ sellers it would be boring as fuck.

Reactions: Draven

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
No, I don't agree. Because it really depends on the genre and title/IP.
Steins;Gate is a really popular anime (made into some games), and just for it sell 500K worldwide, I'm sure the developers are really happy, and it's definitely a "big hit" for the Visual Novel category.
But something like say... The Witcher 4? Yeah, it should at least get close to 15+ million.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
So to be clear, Miyamoto admits that Nintendo had no 1st party successes until the Wii/DS generation (except for Super Mario Bros) noting that Pokémon is made by Game Freak.

Reactions: Umar

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It seems like most people here are completely ignoring the fact he said one of these every three to five years.

He didn’t say every game.

30 million is indeed a BIG hit. Not just a regular one.

• Informative
Reactions: RE4-Station

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I’m sure those Nintendo games start making profit at about 1-2 million sold. 30 million is insane.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
No, I don't agree. Because it really depends on the genre and title/IP.
Steins;Gate is a really popular anime (made into some games), and just for it sell 500K worldwide, I'm sure the developers are really happy, and it's definitely a "big hit" for the Visual Novel category.
But something like say... The Witcher 4? Yeah, it should at least get close to 15+ million.

It's obvious Miyamoto is speaking about Nintendo's situation and he's right within their context.

This part here:
Miyamoto: If we can have one bighit every three to five years, we'll be fine. In that sense, if all our employees think about "creating a big hit" every day, we'll be fine.

That means 2~ 30M hits within a 6-8 year generation. Switch has 4 of them.
Having evergreen hits like those that keep selling YoY is great for Nintendo's financial situation and allows them the freedom to put money into the many bags they've got as far as franchises and sub-franchises.

Nintendo themselves have a bunch of 15/10/5/Sub-5M series that they've been cultivating for decades.
They obviously don't see those as failures or else they would stop making them.

We can also see this being reflected on the Switch.
There's a bunch of franchises that were dormant for more than a decade but got revived in some way because the install base of the Switch was a chance to see if they could be revived.

I’m sure those Nintendo games start making profit at about 1-2 million sold. 30 million is insane.

The bigger bets and success pays for the smaller bets, it's always been like that.
There's a reason Switch has more variety than pretty much any other Nintendo console and revived things like Endless Ocean in 2024, it's because they can afford to just test the market for a bunch of semi-retired stuff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So to be clear, Miyamoto admits that Nintendo had no 1st party successes until the Wii/DS generation (except for Super Mario Bros) noting that Pokémon is made by Game Freak.
Its pretty clear that he's speaking with present tense numbers. When they were operating in the pre-PS2 "growth stage" of console gaming, when the markets was 50 to 75 percent smaller and team sizes were too (or more, if we are going back to NES/SNES era,) then things were measured differently. A million was a hit, 3 million was a big hit. And then before that in the arcade era things were even more different, a thousand was a hit, 2/3 thousand was an all time great.

Now, as to whether he's just talking about what Nintendo's teams should be striving for, or what everyone should be, I don't know. But what I do know is that the amount of games that have reached that level is split fifty/fifty between Nintendo and others, and might well include a whole set of mobile/Asia-centric games that didn't get put on wikipedia.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
R*: "You need to sell at least 200m for it to be consider a big hit"

Dude clearly chose 30m because it makes Nintendo look good for having a few of those types of games while most other publishers don't.

How are Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate, Hogwarts, God of War, etc, not big hits?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Dude clearly chose 30m because it makes Nintendo look good for having a few of those types of games while most other publishers don't.

Miyamoto is low key petty as fuck. I remember Ratchet and Clank beating him to the chase with spherical worlds, after which he pretended not to know of the franchise. "Is that a PC game?" He asked (which I do appreciate because lmao even Nintendo hates PC).

Anyway each title in the PS2 series stomped on most Nintendo franchises/titles at the time on GameCube i.e. Sony's 1st party was stronger than Nintendo's, and that was with Sony's lower-tier franchises.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Hogwarts sold 24 million in under a year, its definitely getting to 30. Elden Ring probably will too, especially if it gets a deluxe or GotY version or something similar to push it over the line. God of War doesn't make the cut at 25 million, too bad, should have sold more. And then BG3 is currently way back at 15 million, less than a bunch of stuff. Maybe it long-tails and gets there but I doubt it, a big darling even among "normal people" but thats the thing, games of the type he is talking about are a rarity, why are you expecting two or three of them to have come out in the same year? Because that year already has Hogwarts and also Monopoly Go (which doesn't seem to have paid download numbers available but did make well over a billion dollars in revenue.)

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Hogwarts sold 24 million in under a year, its definitely getting to 30. Elden Ring probably will too, especially if it gets a deluxe or GotY version or something similar to push it over the line. God of War doesn't make the cut at 25 million, too bad, should have sold more. And then BG3 is currently way back at 15 million, less than a bunch of stuff.

Yeah both Hogwarts and ER are locked in for 30M. That's what discounts are for.

Hogwarts Legacy is a standard open world game, those generally have long legs at low prices because its basically mindless comfort food gaming.

As for Elden Ring, the game lowest discount so far has been 40% off, there's clearly lot of sales legs to go through.

And then BG3 is currently way back at 15 million, less than a bunch of stuff.
Maybe it long-tails and gets there but I doubt it, a big darling even among "normal people" but thats the thing, games of the type he is talking about are a rarity, why are you expecting two or three of them to have come out in the same year?

BG3 is an interesting case because it is around 15M~ and we're approaching the 1 year mark.
So it's selling quite a significant amount of copies below those two juggernauts even though it's a historical success as a CRPG. The X factor for this game is the mod support they're working on that is suppose to come out for the next big patch.
Depending on how the implementation, this is the type of stuff that can help with legs, especially for a RPG that is PC centric.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Yeah both Hogwarts and ER are locked in for 30M. That's what discounts are for.

Hogwarts Legacy is a standard open world game, those generally have long legs at low prices because its basically mindless comfort food gaming.

As for Elden Ring, the game lowest discount so far has been 40% off, there's clearly lot of sales legs to go through.

BG3 is an interesting case because it is around 15M~ and we're approaching the 1 year mark.
So it's selling quite a significant amount of copies below those two juggernauts even though it's a historical success as a CRPG. The X factor for this game is the mod support they're working on that is suppose to come out for the next big patch.
Depending on how the implementation, this is the type of stuff that can help with legs, especially for a RPG that is PC centric.
The mod tools for bg3 won't be nearly as good as the creation engine. I don't even think it will have a map editor. Also the mod tools are suppose to be worst then divinity sin 2, their previous game...

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I think Nintendo's next generation is going to have a slower start than many expect. Looking forward to the reactions haha.

im there day 1 tho

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The mod tools for bg3 won't be nearly as good as the creation engine. I don't even think it will have a map editor. Also the mod tools are suppose to be worst then divinity sin 2, their previous game...

That would be unfortunate. Probably more of a 25M ceiling then.

I think Nintendo's next generation is going to have a slower start than many expect. Looking forward to the reactions haha.

im there day 1 tho

Lots of it will depend on the availability of the console at launch.
I am sure Nintendo is going to do all in their power to avoid the launch supply shortages they had back in 2017 but TBD if they can truly manage that.
Still a lot of unknowns since the console/price and software lineup hasn't even been revealed yet.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
3 years from now if Nintendo doesn't have another 30 million seller
Running Away Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

• haha

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Same.

Its either gonna be a really hard generation for them.
Or if they have some great specs, that can play current gen games on portable, then they might stride away with there current momentum and be super successful

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Same.

Its either gonna be a really hard generation for them.
Or if they have some great specs, that can play current gen games on portable, then they might stride away with there current momentum and be super successful
they will no doubt be successful. but to replicate and exceed switch hardware and software sales will be HARD. Specs won't be a deciding factor imo, and I honestly don't matter for 90% of gamers tbh. It has to have an "it" factor to push another 150 million. that's achieved by great marketing and execution on software.