For the first time PlayStation Trophies will be available on PC.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Feels like there is no chance I'll end up buying a PS6 at this rate. Not that I care about trophies, it's about all the effort Sony puts towards PC for little to no return while not giving a shit about things that PlayStation fans have requested for a long time.

PC + Switch Successor seems like the best combo going forward.
With PC you get freedom to chose how you want the game to run, free online, Steam, services like Gamepass (that you can easily exploit), far superior retro compatibility, choice of input device, etc.
With the Switch successor you get portability, physical media and Nintendo exclusives.
PlayStation is becoming as essential to own as an Xbox.
oh my friend, you saw nothing, it's only gonna get worse moving forward, they'll shrink the time to port on PC to 1 year and will have a launcher with everything there, trophies, ps plus, ps store, ps stars, there will be absolutely no reason to spend money on a worthless piece of plastic like the PS6, PC will be basically a PlayStation, again, it's the same thing Microsoft made to Xbox and people here on this site still try to dodge and cap for it, the future of playstation hardware is nebulous to say the least

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
They are wasting time.
PC players don't buy full priced console ports. Surely not for 70$.
And piracy is still a major problem.

instead of paying 20-30% to steam, they should keep their brand strong by keeping franchises on the consoles.
Sure... someone might not get a ps5 JUST for ghost of tsushima but if it's ghos tof tsushima + 3 other exclusives.... one excluisve might tip the scale and make them buy console and the games.
My 4080 pc buddy got ps5 finally for gt7 and guess what? he bought few more games on there. He is spending money in sony console ecosystem now.
If they released gt7 on pc, he would just get it on steam from cdkeys for 30-40$.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This just makes the online paywall for plus multiplayer seem more ridiculous

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Polyh3dron

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They are wasting time.
PC players don't buy full priced console ports. Surely not for 70$.
And piracy is still a major problem.

instead of paying 20-30% to steam, they should keep their brand strong by keeping franchises on the consoles.
Sure... someone might not get a ps5 JUST for ghost of tsushima but if it's ghos tof tsushima + 3 other exclusives.... one excluisve might tip the scale and make them buy console and the games.
My 4080 pc buddy got ps5 finally for gt7 and guess what? he bought few more games on there. He is spending money in sony console ecosystem now.
If they released gt7 on pc, he would just get it on steam from cdkeys for 30-40$.
they don't buy singleplayer games, specially narrative driven like PS Studios ones, they pirate it without thinking twice, specially because Sony doesn't even add Denuvo to the games, so they're avaliable on piracy sites within seconds of release

Reactions: arvfab and rofif

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
This just makes the online paywall for plus multiplayer seem more ridiculous
that's why i won't be renewing my PS Plus subscription when it expires in 2028, they think console players are clowns, we pay 80 dollars every year to play Helldivers 2, Sackboy and Ghost Of Tsushima Legends Online Modes on PS5, PC players pay absolutely nothing but the game 🤡

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Also: If you go look at the comments under the PlayStation UK Twitter post for the GOT port, you'll see just how contentious and divisive the cumulative effects of these ports have become to many people.

To dismiss them as just "crying fanboys" or insignificants would be foolish because some decent portion probably fall into that high-ARPU hardcore/core enthusiast segment who are likely to either stop buying PlayStation consoles or only buy them for the 1P games out of FOMO.

As time goes on this starts to read as a cope because if these are ideas from an older era, the newer leads could just...shelve them? Games greenlit and partly funded by older heads get cancelled by new people in charge all the time, why can't that apply to stuff like this?

I think it's better to prepare for an acceleration of their multiplat plans to PC; whether that means they continue as-is but shorten the windows for ports some, or go Day 1 for non-GAAS titles or something in-between, it's more probable that is what is going to happen vs. expecting things to stay exactly as they are right now. Which, I mean, I personally would not have cared for, because I have no problem buying a console if the value is there. Exclusives are a part of that value, but apparently companies like Microsoft and even Sony do not feel that way anymore.

If Sony's intent to follow that path, well, Microsoft's had to pay a price for it. Sony will end up paying a similar price, it just won't be as bad because of the larger global health of PlayStation as a brand.
They can't undo this decisions so easily because, they costed millions to billions to execute. But it's too early to jump to conclusions. We will hsve to see how things will develop until to the shift to PS6 era. If your prediction becomes true, I will take my words back s d admit being wrong. But just let us all wait if Sony really is this naive to follow Microsoft's example. I honestly don't believe that Sony will be this blinded to abandon their successful strategy and to copy the eternal losing competitor Xbox. They have been successful for 5 console generations, why should they all throw this away?

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
I did not check the others financials.
Only Ubisoft and the PC revenue increase around 10% after they left Steam... it is already over 5 years.

For Ubisoft it did not kill sales on PC.
That was a myth created by PC gamers... the official data shows the opposite for all the years after they left Steam (2018).

Edit - Take 2 (Rockstart doesn't have direct financials), EA, Besthesda and MS are hard to see if it increased or decreased PC sales because they don't share platform splits like Ubisoft.

The only real example we have is indeed Ubisoft and left Steam increased their revenue on PC games... it was a pretty good business move for them.

So you use Ubisoft as an example of why leaving Steam is a good thing, while we have tenfolds of examples of leaving Steam is not a good thing.

And who says the money that Ubisoft makes from PC nowadays doesn't also come from Steam? Six Siege is one of the biggest money makers from Ubisoft and tops the charts on Steam every time it goes on sale.

Also, if it did not kill sales on PC, why did Ubisoft return to Steam (even though it's a delayed Steam launch)? Sounds like a terrible idea if not being on Steam makes them more money.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony would make way more money off of people buying games on a PS PC Store than it would on a PS5 PS Store, because they don't have to take the hardware loss on selling the PS5 and they can still sell more peripherals.

The space is already growing and so Sony would be foolish to ignore the market as some here would suggest they do.
The space is not growing unless you mean in China. In all major economies that we have stats for, and indeed globally from '22-'23, PC is shrinking.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
oh my friend, you saw nothing, it's only gonna get worse moving forward, they'll shrink the time to port on PC to 1 year and will have a launcher with everything there, trophies, ps plus, ps store, ps stars, there will be absolutely no reason to spend money on a worthless piece of plastic like the PS6, PC will be basically a PlayStation, again, it's the same thing Microsoft made to Xbox and people here on this site still try to dodge and cap for it, the future of playstation hardware is nebulous to say the least
While these moves dilute the brand. There is no such thing as a redundant console. Console gamers are a specific demographic, always were, always will.

Me playing on a pc because there are no gaming appliances, aka the “console”, is practically zero. Just like me never playing on mobile.

Home theatre environment with zero complexity is the draw card.

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
I have a few friends who have been waiting for this to happen so im sure they're thrilled. Next up will be Sony's own store front/launcher for PC which will then be followed by their first party games being day one on their own launcher/Steam/Epic.

24 Jun 2022
They can't undo this decisions so easily because, they costed millions to billions to execute. But it's too early to jump to conclusions. We will hsve to see how things will develop until to the shift to PS6 era. If your prediction becomes true, I will take my words back s d admit being wrong. But just let us all wait if Sony really is this naive to follow Microsoft's example. I honestly don't believe that Sony will be this blinded to abandon their successful strategy and to copy the eternal losing competitor Xbox. They have been successful for 5 console generations, why should they all throw this away?

We won't have to wait until PS6 gen tho to get a read on their direction; we'll know by the end of this year.

I have a few friends who have been waiting for this to happen so im sure they're thrilled. Next up will be Sony's own store front/launcher for PC which will then be followed by their first party games being day one on their own launcher/Steam/Epic.

Unless they start to signal otherwise, this would probably be the most probable assumption to make.

It's unfortunate IMO to an extent because so much more could be done to push console innovation all around (hardware, QOL, features, business model, games etc.), but I guess those heading Sony & SIE are seeing things differently. Maybe it's only poetically ironic that Nintendo are the last pure console platform holder left in the market (at least in adhering to fully pushing their own gaming hardware and coupling content exclusivity (i.e actual game exclusives) to push that hardware).

I kinda doubt we're going to get 1P revelations as significant as GT1, GT3 & 4, Uncharted 2, TLOU etc. from Sony 1P going forward but, hey, that had to eventually come to an end at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab and Umar

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
While these moves dilute the brand. There is no such thing as a redundant console. Console gamers are a specific demographic, always were, always will.

Me playing on a pc because there are no gaming appliances, aka the “console”, is practically zero. Just like me never playing on mobile.

Home theatre environment with zero complexity is the draw card.
i play PS5 on a 4K monitor next to my PC, now tell me why should i buy the PS6?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That’s really crazy to me, considering most games don’t even have fov adjustment on console to be practical for that use case. You’re really a minority outlier amongst 50+ million console gamers. If a desktop environment is your setup, you need to lean into its strengths.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The space is not growing unless you mean in China. In all major economies that we have stats for, and indeed globally from '22-'23, PC is shrinking.
PC gaming is a growing market that generates more gaming revenue worldwide than the PS.

Even if removing China from the PC part, which would be stupid, because China is its largest market and according to what they said, one of the main reasons of why they are expanding to PC and mobile.

To save money in hardware, not having to worry about compatibility issues or performance issue during many years, to have a better plug and play experience, and an important list of new games not available on PC, at least temporally during 2+ years, plus having access a huge list of old catalog -and library- of classics not available on PC etc.

But I assume that their long term goal is that you'll be able to play them anywhere to give their games a potential reach of >3B users instead of just >50M to generate way more money from them.

Making the similarity with movies would be to limit a movie to be released only on Betamax versus having it also in VHS, DVD, Blueray, tv, cinema, cable and streaming platforms etc. independently of their brand.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
PC gaming is a growing market that generates more gaming revenue worldwide than the PS.

Even if removing China from the PC part, which would be stupid, because China is its largest market and according to what they said, one of the main reasons of why they are expanding to PC and mobile.
It's not expanding the PlayStation profit margin or market share

Reactions: Umar
24 Jun 2022
But I assume that their long term goal is that you'll be able to play them anywhere to give their games a potential reach of >3B users instead of just >50M to generate way more money from them.

You actually said 3 billion with a straight face, huh?

How's that "3 billion players" working out for Microsoft in growing Game Pass? 🤣

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
This is loads of crap.

PS5 profitable, so they would lose ton of money not selling consoles. They would loose even more without PS+. Peripherals also would sell much less because it is wide variety on PC and k&m are dominant on PC.

It all sells because console exist.

They also include other spaces into gaming.
It helps their audio department, that also helps to sell TVs which is big business for them too.

PS5 hardware is sold at a loss.
They can still sell PS+ to PC users.
Sony is selling more peripherals to PC users since they adopted PC support for them. The Dual Sense is one of the best selling PC gamepads. Sony also has invested in PC monitors and headsets and part of their reasoning for buying Audeze was to better capture that market.

They're still going to sell consoles to people who want consoles.

Not sure what audio department you are thinking about, but the idea that PlayStation is really pushing bravia tv sales is laughable.