Forbes : Microsoft’s Xbox Series S Parity Demands Are Now Handing Sony Free Wins

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
personally i dont think xbox should continue existing. they've made too many blunders and are rightly being rejected by players. I agree their formerly hit franchises are fading fast. on the other hand, MS willingly paid 70B for activision, so clearly they intend to plow ahead. most likely they're just going to keep on with the 2-unit approach. but at this point i'd say the X is a bigger liability than the S. ms can't even make enough X's because they lose money. so a cost-cutting redesign would be a high priority, but they've actually increased the cost of the S so the value proposition gets muddy if they don't maintain a decent price difference

It's pretty easy, just don't sell Xbox hardwares and release games on PS5, price your services at decent costs and stop putting big releases on Game Pass day one.

Selling your hardwares at a loss up to 100-200 USD 3 years in is ridiculous, what even worse is taking losses on your subcription, we know why they don't report the division revenue seperately.
It's not hard to figure it out.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's pretty easy, just don't sell Xbox hardwares and release games on PS5, price your services at decent costs and stop putting big releases on Game Pass day one.

Selling your hardwares at a loss up to 100-200 USD 3 years in is ridiculous, what even worse is taking losses on your subcription, we know why they don't report the division revenue seperately.
It's not hard to figure it out.
I don't have any problem with this, but I don't see the strategic value to Microsoft Corporation to essentially be a videogame publisher. Any big conglomerate just wants to make money however they can, but there's still some idea of competitive advantage, core-competency, etc. None of MS's corporate peers (Amazon, Google, Apple) are trying very hard to be game publishers. Google gave up in less than 2 years. Videogames seem like small potatoes compared to cloud services, OS monopoly, endless b2b 'solutions', etc. If I was running MS I'd be too busy trying to destroy Google docs and MacOS to care about what Sony is up to. Sony's 1/25 the size.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I don't have any problem with this, but I don't see the strategic value to Microsoft Corporation to essentially be a videogame publisher. Any big conglomerate just wants to make money however they can, but there's still some idea of competitive advantage, core-competency, etc. None of MS's corporate peers (Amazon, Google, Apple) are trying very hard to be game publishers. Google gave up in less than 2 years. Videogames seem like small potatoes compared to cloud services, OS monopoly, endless b2b 'solutions', etc. If I was running MS I'd be too busy trying to destroy Google docs and MacOS to care about what Sony is up to. Sony's 1/25 the size.
They already have a monopoly at that sector, it is about setting monopoly at other sectors too.

In the end, is MS in the nutshell, they always want to be on the top of the foodchain. Their EEE strategy worked in the 90s, nowadays they tried to force their ways into the business they still clueless despite being in for a really long time already.

They deserves being broken into small pieces honestly.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I can imagine it, because Nintendo did it for the last 3 generations with a lot more success than Microsoft. With the stable of IP that MS currently owns, they shouldn't have so much trouble driving customers to their box, particularly if it's < $299. And they can still support PC for the high end customer.
Nintendo tries to and usually succedes in releasing a "good"/"big" game every quarter. Microsoft has struggled to do two a year. And this is a leftover from the One era so its not Series X's fault.

16 Feb 2023
personally i dont think xbox should continue existing. they've made too many blunders and are rightly being rejected by players. I agree their formerly hit franchises are fading fast. on the other hand, MS willingly paid 70B for activision, so clearly they intend to plow ahead. most likely they're just going to keep on with the 2-unit approach. but at this point i'd say the X is a bigger liability than the S. ms can't even make enough X's because they lose money. so a cost-cutting redesign would be a high priority, but they've actually increased the cost of the S so the value proposition gets muddy if they don't maintain a decent price difference
I'm pretty sure that xbox has been told to get their margins up. Hence the new more expensive series s, the series x you can only buy with a bundle, gamepass price increase etc

Reactions: anonpuffs

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't get why they don't just drop the parity for some functionality, like local co-op.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing parity.

There's already a bunch of graphical features missing on the baby console, like no 60fps modes, no RT, less detail, etc.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I don't get why they don't just drop the parity for some functionality, like local co-op.

There's already a bunch of graphical features missing on the baby console, like no 60fps modes, no RT, less detail, etc.
Pride and it would be them admitting that their strategy for a weaker and cheaper console was a bad move.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel and Dr Bass

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Because the Series S is the majority of their customer base.

Imagine you owned a Series S and you bought it on the presumption that your console is just the series X but just lower resolution (or maybe you're smart and you realize you'll also have to sacrifice some graphics or 30fps). Suddenly, one day, Microsoft tells you that suddenly your console will be receiving games with substantially cut-down features, missing features, or in some case maybe the game even skips your console.

How would that make you feel about buying a future Microsoft product?

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Imagine you owned a Series S and you bought it on the presumption that your console is just the series X but just lower resolution (or maybe you're smart and you realize you'll also have to sacrifice some graphics or 30fps). Suddenly, one day, Microsoft tells you that suddenly your console will be receiving games with substantially cut-down features, missing features, or in some case maybe the game even skips your console.

I'd feel the full weight of my stupidity come crashing down on me. The sudden realization that I've been duped by an evil corporation would lead me to question my moral compass and critical thinking abilities.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Imagine you owned a Series S and you bought it on the presumption that your console is just the series X but just lower resolution (or maybe you're smart and you realize you'll also have to sacrifice some graphics or 30fps).

Buying a Series S and being smart?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

You bought xbox, you stupid already.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer