former head of Square's Shinra Technologies says Square Enix needed to stop relying on exclusivity...and should continue to develop new series

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
After the leaked Ryan interview, his statement makes perfect sense. SE is currently still benefiting from the deals with Sony. According to Ryan, SIE would like to become less dependent on 3P and continue to expand 1P. Aside from FF, I can only think of Nier Automata that was somewhat successful. DQ11's numbers are probably between Nier and FF. But SE has to slowly reinvent itself, like Capcom. Apparently it happens if you want to believe the new SE CEO.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
After the leaked Ryan interview, his statement makes perfect sense. SE is currently still benefiting from the deals with Sony. According to Ryan, SIE would like to become less dependent on 3P and continue to expand 1P. Aside from FF, I can only think of Nier Automata that was somewhat successful. DQ11's numbers are probably between Nier and FF. But SE has to slowly reinvent itself, like Capcom. Apparently it happens if you want to believe the new SE CEO.

They also have Kingdom Hearts, but Nomura is super slow

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Its not about exclusivity for the most part. Its just that Square games just arent that good. They have been riding FFVII coattails for decades now. And JRPGs don't have the mainstream appeal of say Resident Evil or Street Fighter so I am not sure they can use their old IPs and pull a Capcom to release high end remakes of their games.
Even if I would love that, I don't see remakes of FFVI, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger or Vagrant Story selling that much. Hopefully I am wrong.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Like look, I could get it if it was "well we're not making money from sales there anyways, so we'll take what extra resources we can get". I'd get that. From a revenue standpoint, that makes some sense, at least.

Implying that having your game prominently advertised on the platform the majority of sales will be on won't matter, but "Xbox Billboards" will drive games more? That makes ZERO sense. Nil. Especially when PlayStation was also putting up billboards and putting out TV spots, to say nothing of paying for half the marketing AND providing development support?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this reeks of either a fundamental misread of the market, or... planted info.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I also don't think it's super coincidental that all this is dropping at the same time someone tries to hack Sony (but apparently can't even properly prove they did) and Rich at DigitalFoundry tries to openly imply that developers are deliberately hamstringing Xbox games because "muh Tflop count" even after we saw those documents saying Xbox even conceded to DF that the Tflops aren't a great metric.

This is just too weird to all be tossed out there at once. And all of it in a super convenient "that's just my opinion" package, knowing what the internet and games media will do with that.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Oh look, the second person to push a pro-MS agenda. Wonder where he got the idea. Says exclusives are bad, mentions Sony only. How come Nintendo is never mentioned? because they're not that big of a competitor, perhaps, so no need to push an agenda with them?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
His premise is SE should put their relationship with Sony on ice because Microsoft MIGHT put billboards up of a game or two? That will lead to more sales on Playstation (?). And Nintendo exclusive deals dont count or matter. What makes him so certain that Sony is willing to play ball like that and just accepts everything but continues to support SE like they do?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
His premise is SE should put their relationship with Sony on ice because Microsoft MIGHT put billboards up of a game or two? That will lead to more sales on Playstation (?). And Nintendo exclusive deals dont count or matter. What makes him so certain that Sony is willing to play ball like that and just accepts everything but continues to support SE like they do?
Totally ridiculous.

Reactions: Puff

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I also don't think it's super coincidental that all this is dropping at the same time someone tries to hack Sony (but apparently can't even properly prove they did) and Rich at DigitalFoundry tries to openly imply that developers are deliberately hamstringing Xbox games because "muh Tflop count" even after we saw those documents saying Xbox even conceded to DF that the Tflops aren't a great metric.

This is just too weird to all be tossed out there at once. And all of it in a super convenient "that's just my opinion" package, knowing what the internet and games media will do with that.
Sonys SOP 2 weeks ago and this upcoming holiday has them concerned I bet. That state of play I think I did a lot for PlayStation’s mind share, which was already really good compared to Xbox.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Sonys SOP 2 weeks ago and this upcoming holiday has them concerned I bet. That state of play I think I did a lot for PlayStation’s mind share, which was already really good compared to Xbox.

Yeah that State of Play got people shook.

It was Sony in traditional form.

playstation-ps1-logo-boot-up-screen.large.jpg

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
He’s being truthful here, a 3rd party publisher like Square should not lock down their games to any platforms. Look at Capcom, they embraced PC and now PC gaming is a huge part of their revenue.