ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
but their 2023 didn't see a surge in unit sales that I would've expected,
I understand what you said in your post but just a point in the bold part (I did not quote everything).

1400k is basically historic record breaking sales for a PlayStation console in a year in France.
It is 300k more than any other year for PlayStation.

It is only behind Wii that reached 1600k in a year.

So I don't see it being less than expected... in fact the surge after the supply issues is big enough to catch PS4 in like 2-3 years.
Of course that taking that 2024 will follow the same trend.

The data just shows how bad PS5 was affected by supply in Europe (way more than US and Japan... Sony probably prioritized these markets when shipping).
If it had no supply and could maintain constant around 1000k per year it probably should be ahead PS4 now but due supply it did 500k and 300k... 800k in 2 years is really too low.

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Based on VGChartz Jan-Apr 2024 Europe data it is around 15% lower than Jan-Apr 2023. If this trend remain PS5 is expected to sell 1.2 million this year in France. PS5 Pro might provide another boost, and if there is permanent price cut then we can expect even bigger number.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Seems PS5 had a good/ok launch window (PS3 was released in March) in 2020 but later got fucked by shortages in 2021 and 2022 but in 2023 almost fully recovered.

I assume in years 2024-2028 the recovery will continue and may perform slightly better than previous PS consoles for each year, slowly recovering what they lost in Y2 and Y3.

Something interesting, launch aligned at this point in France:
  • PS5 sales are 3.4x the X|S ones
  • PS4 sales were 3.4x the XBO ones
  • PS3 sales were 1.5x the 360 ones
  • PS2 sales were 7.9x the Xbox ones
Even if the console market declined in France this generation (mostly due to chip shortages / economy fucked by huge inflation / longer support than usual of the previous gen / console prices increased instead of price cutted), the PS vs Xbox market share seems to be like in the previous gen.

I think that the PS5 can finish as high as the PS1 & PS3 in France with a permanent price cut, it's possible, but catching up with the PS2 and especially the PS4 will be very difficult to reach these scores.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
I understand what you said in your post but just a point in the bold part (I did not quote everything).

1400k is basically historic record breaking sales for a PlayStation console in a year in France.
It is 300k more than any other year for PlayStation.

It is only behind Wii that reached 1600k in a year.

So I don't see it being less than expected... in fact the surge after the supply issues is big enough to catch PS4 in like 2-3 years.
Of course that taking that 2024 will follow the same trend.

The data just shows how bad PS5 was affected by supply in Europe (way more than US and Japan... Sony probably prioritized these markets when shipping).
If it had no supply and could maintain constant around 1000k per year it probably should be ahead PS4 now but due supply it did 500k and 300k... 800k in 2 years is really too low.

I mean it was less than what I feel would've been expected given the shortages in the pandemic years and then supply finally getting back on track in 2023. So "just" hitting 1.4 million in France for the year wasn't enough to make up for the sales they lost in the pandemic years when shortages were rampant. I figure the pent-up demand would've had them hitting those Wii numbers you listed or even higher.

Otherwise it seems they will be pacing about 600K behind PS4 in France launch-aligned by the end of this year (assuming they sell ~ 1.2 million in France this year, which would probably fit the guidance/expectations of slightly-lower PS5 sales for the year if 2023 was the peak).

Reactions: ethomaz

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
what you talking about?...they just had the best showcase in the history of gaming and gamescom is going to be the same. we also know Xbox is selling out and Playstation 5 is struggling to sell consoles thanks to CoD day and date on Game Pass. This momentum is unstoppable and Xbox is set to dominate this Gen, we only need to wait until next year.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Fire Trash GIF

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that the PS5 can finish as high as the PS1 & PS3 in France with a permanent price cut, it's possible, but catching up with the PS2 and especially the PS4 will be very difficult to reach these scores.
Yes, looking at the projection of the available numbers that's what seems more likely, but I think there are many reasons that make me thing PS5 will have a stronger and longer 2nd half (years 5-11+):
  • Unusally huge PS4 still didn't upgrade, many should upgrade later
  • AAA games take longer to be made, so bangers like GTA6 that start making properly use of the hardware will start to be releasing in 2025-2026, supporting its sales
  • Like 10 movie/tv show/anime adaptations coming, some previous ones brought new fans
  • More new players than usual coming from Xbox as it dies
  • New fans coming from their off-PS approach (PC, mobile, Switch), specially from countries like China or Korea
  • Games are getting so expensive that publishers will want to have an even longer PS5-PS6 crossgen period, giving a longer life to the PS5
  • GaaS are more important now, giving a longer life to the PS5
  • PS+ provides way more and better content (and will improve in the future), also helping to get stuff in the sunseting years of the console, making it feel more alive and help it live longer

Reactions: Evilms

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Imagine how many PS3s would have sold if Microsoft have had an abysmal generation then, like they have now
Imagine how many ps4s would have sold.

Which makes one wonder, why aren't PS5s selling millions more than they are?

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
June_2024.png

(source : ludostrie)

We allready know

XBX : 24M
360 : 84M
XB1 : 58M

And according to this chart by oscar lemaire, X/S seems to be at ~25M, which is worse than expected.

• Informative
Reactions: FatKaz and ethomaz
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And according to this chart by oscar lemaire, X/S seems to be at ~25M, which is worse than expected.
Worst by you guys at Installbase.
It is in line with what I always said here to @Welfare.

BTW how many units Series had in US up to end of April?
US sales are near 60% of all Xbox sales.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
@gokuss4

You guys (but which I mean NORMIES) have no idea how deep the Xbox "influencer" hole goes.
It's got its tendrils so far in (pause).

24 Jun 2022
June_2024.png

(source : ludostrie)

We allready know

XBX : 24M
360 : 84M
XB1 : 58M

Ouch indeed; that's lower than what I would've pegged Series at by end of March, which was ~ 26 million. And I would've figured they'd be a bit above 26 million by now, but probably a tad under 27 million (this is all sold-through).

Maybe I was being too optimistic for their numbers? No wonder Project Latitude exists; that's gonna expand to Game Pass itself at some point (once Microsoft go Day 1 for PS & Nintendo systems in a couple of years for all games, and the next Xboxes aren't being sold or marketed like their previous consoles were. They won't even call them consoles).

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
X/S : ~14.180.000 units

PS5 : ~20.275.000 units

Thanks.

PlayStation US is different it account for around 30-40% of WW sales.

Xbox that have most of sales coming from US.

60% US = ~23.6m WW
58% US = ~24.5m WW
55% US = ~25.8m WW

I can see US sales being lower than 55%... I'm more inclined to say around 58% to 59%.
It is basically in that range imo.

I was using 58% in the past for my estimates.