FTC has filed a notice to the US Court of Appeals that Microsoft laying off 1,900 employees of ABK “contradicts” the company’s statements

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Here We Go Again​

In the letter that was filed with the US Court of Appeals, the FTC stresses that Microsoft’s dismissal of hundreds of Activision Blizzard employees – including developers and esports professionals – is in direct contradiction to terms outlined during the acquisition that dominated most of 2023’s headlines.

It states the following:

Microsoft’s recently-reported plan to eliminate 1,900 jobs in its video game division, including its newly-acquired Activision unit, contradicts the foregoing representations it made to this Court.
By that, the FTC is highlighting that Microsoft promised to let Activision Blizzard operate as an independent entity post-merger, and then weeks later, the tech behemoth is laying off hundreds of employees at the company.

The FTC also voiced concerns that if it were to try and ‘reverse’ the merger through an appeal, the mass layoffs could jeopardise the ability to split Activision Blizzard back away from Microsoft’s clutches.

More information is available in the letter that was shared on social media by CharlieIntel.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The saga that never ends.
I don't think this will do anything but give bigger year end bonuses to Microsoft's lawyers for 2024.
There's going to be online hot takes about it online so there's going to be some entertainment at least.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I doubt this will lead to anything, but in a "What if..." scenario, what realistic consequences would there be? MS sells ABK to the highest bidder? ABK becomes independent again?

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Coming For You Night Of The Living Dead GIF by Max

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I still just cant believe the judge was allowed to oversee the trial when her son works for MS. Like there wasnt any incentive to ensure it goes through. Wonder if the son got tbat promotion yet

It's actually in the code of conduct for judges, it states in two or three different areas that in such a case, you should not preside over it.

It's bizarre that she was allowed get away with that.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Microsoft is having an awful the week. First time I see all media being harsh on that company.

PS. I wonder if the people on ree still champion MS as a savior for the Activision workers/ex employees …

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I still just cant believe the judge was allowed to oversee the trial when her son works for MS. Like there wasnt any incentive to ensure it goes through. Wonder if the son got tbat promotion yet
Look at the world and all the government curruption that happens.
Makes perfect sense lol

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The max that can make is a court decide to MS pay a fine now.

Go back in the merge should be disastrous to every part involved and MS be less affect of all.

Reactions: Gamernyc78