Full digital is indeed the future, and I'm willing to embrace it.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
In fact I'd even say clinging onto "physical" games is very much a "boomer mentality". I know this topic been beaten to dead and that I sound pretentious as f***, but as I gotten older I'm statting to realise that with each generation "owning" a physical game just makes less... and less... sense to me.

Starting with Gen 8 console for example, games required installation to the HDD and many of them also required a lot of patches/update to smooth things out (BTW this isn't always due to "lazy devs" but more of the fact that games have gotten much more complex and thus impossible to detect every single glitches and balance issues prior to launch. Plenty of console games in the past were unpolished and full of glitches too - we just had to deal with it since there were no luxury of update and patches for consoles back in the days). So does "owning" a physical game actually mean anything "special" anymore? Most of what you get "on disc" is a glitchy and unpolished game.

Games are just form of entertainment like music and movies. Vast majority of people don't even purchase physical music CD and movies anymore, because what's even the point?There isn't anything sacred special and "owning" a physical game.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You want to live in a world where good games never drop in price, ever. No thanks.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
I went full digital more than 10 years ago. Having said that I think there is always going to be a market for physical media and collectors with stores like Limited Run Games.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The day physical media isn't an option is the day I'll never buy a console again (or at least never buy a console game again).

Why should I care about what other people do? Physical media is a great option for me and one of the best features of consoles, it allows me to borrow and lend games, buy used, sell my games, take advantage of promos on multiple stores.

Consoles have a single storefront and only a complete moron would want to be limited to a single store.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Pass. Digital pricing is ridiculous.

And then there's the best part. You don't get to own anything. You're outright renting these games because you don't even own your account. The ToS state that your account can be taken at any time for any reason. That goes for all digital storefronts.

I'm not putting my entire collection in the hands of a company that can flip the switch on it at any time.

Reactions: arvfab and Nhomnhom

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
There’s a fine line between digital and physical, but as others have pointed out having physical media is what’s keeping these high prices from going up even more. Especially the used market. While digital is better due to having it on demand. But console manufacturers like Nintendo love to make their games still full price after 10 to 20 years and having the used market helps maintain the prices especially from Nintendo.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There should be as many options as possible and many different retailers, both physical and online to distribute physical games.... it keeps more people gaming, it offers people in areas with unreliable internet or no internet an option and makes true ownership more difficult to undermine.

In a world where the term 'Pro consumer' is misused so much, even abused. Here it truly is pro-consumer to have more options, more distribution channels.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
This thread

Get Out Of Here GIF by Basketball Madness

P

peter42O

I will probably go all digital when next generation starts. This generation, I have 13 digital game purchases and 16 disc game purchases. Outside of trading in games, I prefer digital. It's just easier, better and more convenient.

Reactions: Box

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
No thanks. I'd like to keep the option to play my games when servers are gone, or to resell them.
Absolute bullshit, I have seen the photos of your new Crib, you can try and dress it up any way you like but you are not a collector, you Sir are a hoarder.

images

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I'm leaning more towards digital these days for a lot of things. I bought the SF6 ultimate edition because you get extras not available in the physical editions, and I really didn't feel like going to the store after work on a Friday night to get the disc, go home, install that, wait for the patch, etc., when I can have it preloaded digitally.

I don't actually sell my games anymore so I am starting to see less value in having a disc. Depends on the game, I sill see myself getting physical copies for some things. But I've been pretty happy lately just leaving games in my wishlist and buying them when they go on deep discounts.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I stopped buying physical last generation. Zero regrets.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
You want to live in a world where good games never drop in price, ever. No thanks.

My Brother in Christ, we literally have a digital PSN sale every single week. Games are a lot cheaper, i also prefer not to create more E waste

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
My Brother in Christ, we literally have a digital PSN sale every single week. Games are a lot cheaper, i also prefer not to create more E waste

Psn flash sales happened soon after release too. Yea, I’ve definitely seen better sales now than I have in the past even at mom and pop game stores before they went extinct.

I also can’t ignore the free games I get from psn and extra either. Honestly, this hobby of mine is cheaper than ever and I get way too much.

FZERO GX sold like 50k units. Good luck tracking down a I copy. I still have mine. Aside from collector’s value… physical is obsolete.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
No thanks. I'd like to keep the option to play my games when servers are gone, or to resell them.
Lol how many games do you play now that don’t have their servers on?

And resell? Lol you get like 2% back.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Psn flash sales happened soon after release too. Yea, I’ve definitely seen better sales now than I have in the past even at mom and pop game stores before they went extinct.

I also can’t ignore the free games I get from psn and extra either. Honestly, this hobby of mine is cheaper than ever and I get way too much.

FZERO GX sold like 50k units. Good luck tracking down a I copy. I still have mine. Aside from collector’s value… physical is obsolete.

Another point is Rare games like the orginal Gravity Rush on ps4 are harder to find for cheap prices, but digitally it's like $10. With Physical games, and especially the more obscure ones that go up in price it becomes a better option to just go digitally.

Physical games these days don't even come with a manual, its just a plastic case with a disc that you need to install.

There’s a fine line between digital and physical, but as others have pointed out having physical media is what’s keeping these high prices from going up even more. Especially the used market. While digital is better due to having it on demand. But console manufacturers like Nintendo love to make their games still full price after 10 to 20 years and having the used market helps maintain the prices especially from Nintendo.

Pressure from retail stores is what limited digital games from going ever cheaper, at least here in Australia. Eb Games which is our version of Gamestop often Charges $119 for a new game while the digital version is like $85.

Also with a lot of older harder to find games, its so much easier to purchase it digitally than track down the one store in the country selling the last copy.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
E waste? As in throwing your games out? Are you nuts? Trade them in. You must be e-wasted if you think thats a good response.