Fumihiko Yasuda: "Rise of the Ronin is currently the best-selling Koei Tecmo title so far."

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
There is always that one PC player begging.

imagination GIF

Go play in dirt, steamlicker.

• Cerny
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Great news. Nice to see that the most recent new title of most 2nd party or 1st party title in recent times was the best selling or fastest selling game ever for the studio:
  • Detroit
  • Death Stranding
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU2
  • Returnal
  • GT7?
  • HFW? Pretty tied to HZD until got included in PS+
  • GoW Ragnarok
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
  • Stellar Blade (their first console game)
  • Rise of the Ronin

Portion of the interview translated to English by ChatGPT4o to get better context and the exact words:

──It seems like word-of-mouth is spreading. Both the packaged and downloadable versions are performing well in Japan, right?

Mr. Yasuda:
Yes, that's right. It's moving in a long-tail fashion, with repeat sales. We definitely feel like it's "reaching" our audience.

──There was a highlight in the earnings report mentioning that its start was stronger than 'Nioh'.

Mr. Yasuda:
So far, 'Ronin' has the best numbers among Koei Tecmo titles.

So a few notes:
  • Maybe he was talking about Japanese, not worldwide sales
  • Maybe he was talking about launch aligned sales, not total sales

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Best selling of all time? Or in same time frame as other titles?

So RoR sold better than Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, Dead or Alive?

All within 3 months on 1 console? Sounds like something was lost in translation because that would be an incredible feat

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Great news. Nice to see that the most recent new title of most 2nd party or 1st party title in recent times was the best selling or fastest selling game ever for the studio:
  • Detroit

Man I want another Detroit like game from Quantic Dreams. It was a great exclusive for PS4

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
This is really going to UPSET a certain group of... "people".
lol

@Kokoloko
Unfortunately, anything made by Quantic Dream for PS (exclusively) may never happen again.
There were some allegations made against David Cage (which somehow journalist attributed to a "toxic culture" within PS!), the company was bought out by... I think Tencent? And, also, David Cage went on a weird social media spree where he was downplaying how good PS4/Detroit Become Human was. Don't quote me on this, but I'm about 70% sure people were going back and forth with him on Twitter about all those things.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Man I want another Detroit like game from Quantic Dreams. It was a great exclusive for PS4

@Kokoloko
Unfortunately, anything made by Quantic Dream for PS (exclusively) may never happen again.
Not only did you have the sexual/harrassment/racist allegations made against David Cage (which somehow journalist attributed to a "toxic culture" within PS!), the company was bought out by... I think Tencent? And also, David Cage went on a weird social media spree where he was downplaying how good PS4/Detroit Become Human was. Don't quote me on this, but I'm about 70% sure people were going back and forth with him on Twitter about all those things...

I also loved Detroit. And Heavy Rain when released, it felt very fresh to me and had great visuals and innovative gameplay back then. I even liked Beyond Two Souls, even if not as much as the other ones.

I assume they'll be busy with their projects like the Star Wars game (which I want to play), but when they left to selfpublish they mentioned that they weren't closing the door for future collaborations with Sony. So who knows, maybe somewhere in the future they do more games for Sony.

That controversy caused several external (at national, regional and local level) and internal investigations, audits and court cases. Nothing was found or proved against QD, they got innocent / not guilty as results and the audits were all ok. QD sued the former coworkers and journalists who caused the controversy and won the cases, with the exception of suing a journalists because they couldn't prove he was acting in bad faith. They issued this document explaining it:
https://blog.quanticdream.com/medias/Quantic-Dream-Official-Statement-April-2021.pdf

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This asshole again

Hideki Yasuda, an established Japanese analyst, recently wrote about which games fell short of Koei Tecmo's sales expectations:
Koei Tecmo Holdings (Koei Tecmo HD) <3635> reported an increase in sales and a decrease in operating profit for the fiscal year ending March 2024. The company's game business has not been blessed with hit titles since the previous fiscal year, and all of the titles released in the fiscal year ending March 2023, including "Wild Hearts" and "Warlon Fallen Dynasty," "Fate Samurai Remnant" and "Rise of Ronin," which it developed, fell short of their targets. In particular, it was explained that "Fate" was a 2 million unit title (as it covers the entire life cycle, the plan for the fiscal year ending March 2024 is unknown), so it is assumed that it fell far short of its targets.
The company's titles are highly rated by those who have played them, but they are not being purchased in the first place. In particular, "Rise of Ronin," which was developed as a 5 million unit title, fell far short of its targets. We interviewed PS5 (PlayStation 5) users, and many of them said that they found it difficult to get into the game because there was too little information about the game.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This asshole again

Tecmo themselves made several statements they were happy with the sales. I bet this analyst BS article will get more attention than what Tecmo said. It's the latest FUD campaign against exclusivity and port-begging.

Wild Hearts and Wo Long were already multiplatform and flopped but they will ignore that 🤡